I am looking to buy a new 35-40 ton trailer. Right now I have a 1969 Trail King 35 ton rigid goose neck tri-axle with beaver tail. The trailer has been welded and rewelded every year and is at its end of its design life. I have several 50k lbs. dozers and a couple of 60k lbs. excavators. I like the beaver tail because of the quick loading and unloading. I do a lot of private work where the jobs are less than one day, thus a lot of moving. I've tried to find a newer trail king 40 ton rigid goose neck on the internet & truck paper) but they are hard to find. The other option would be to go with a non-ground bearing detachable goose neck.
Don't know if it's what you're looking for but I was just bidding on a folding neck in the GL auction site about an hour ago. I backed out at 5000.00 and it ended up selling for 5500.00 plus the 10 percent buyers fee. By looking at the pics, it looks like they may be selling some more out soon so just keep an eye out for more. here's the link. the auction was just for the one on the bottom. for some reason they erased the selling price. http://www.govliquidation.com/auction/view?id=2404976&convertTo=USD
GL website I've been on that site occasionally. I'll have to keep an eye on it. Thanks.
I don't think you would want to buy a new rear load rigid neck. Dang things are $40,000 new. You can practically buy you a new 35ton self-contained non-ground bearing hydraulic detach trailer for that. As far as a rear load being quicker then a detach neck, if you detach the neck and leave it detached onto the truck til you get your job done and then attach it after loading you hoe or dozer up you won't waste any extra time. Plus you can get your overall height and center of gravity down with a lowboy...makes a difference on a 60,000# hoe. Later, Justin
Just priced a 40 ton rigid goose neck. The price of a new 40 ton rigid goose neck is about 40K, like u said, plus 12% tax. I guess I'm back to looking for a used one. I know what you're saying regarding the detach. I still think if I went out and bought a detach, more often than not, we would end up using the old rigid goose neck since it quicker to load and unload.
The $40,000 I said for a new one includes the 12% tax (Federal Excise Tax; F.E.T.) Sorry I didn't specify that before, use to quoting new trailers and I always include the F.E.T. in the price. But the price on the new rigid neck did not have any options whatsoever.
One thing to keep in mind if you purchase anything new this year you can get a big tax deduction using the section 179 from the stimulus package. go to http://www.section179.org/ for a calculator on what you would save if you bought new vs. used. Assuming the trailer cost new 60,000 and you were in the 35% tax bracket you would be able to deduct the entire 60,000 off your taxes so in the end you would save about 21,000 in cash. With this deduction it only works for new equipment purchases not used so in some cases you might be better off buying new. Also here is one we have in stock...it is a fixed gooseneck, Wabco Disc brakes and all aluminum wheels. http://www.murraytrailer.com/trailers/details.php?v_id=22