Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Murray 9 axle

-NICK- ยท 2009-06-05 01:09

So were redoing the 9 axle trailer we just got .Just wondering if anyone would like to see some pictures of the progress.

Replies156
  1. #1Cretebaby2009-06-05 01:23

    Well duh!!!!!!!!!!! Of course we would

  2. #2Cody2009-06-05 13:23

    Definatly would like to see pics please!

  3. #3-NICK-2009-06-05 18:09

    murray 9 axle pics here are some of the pics Murray Ambassador 9 axle Its getting new pins in the deck,some extra bracing etc..I'll try and keep them in order so you can see the progress.Thanks for looking

  4. #4td25c2009-06-05 19:38

    Thanks for sharing the pictures of the rebuild job -NICK-.I will be looking close at them and will probably have a few questions for you as I am looking at converting one of my fixed neck lowboys to a mechanical detachable.

  5. #5tonka2009-06-05 19:48

    Hey Nick is this in Stockton? Nice pics BTW! Keep them comming!

  6. #6bill53622009-06-05 19:53

    Nice pics Nick, I like the jack stands under the front of the trailer that is a cleaver idea. Did you sand blast and what type of material are you going back with Epoxy primer or ? and what type of paint? I like complete restorations myself. I have a 55 ton hydraulic detach LoadKing that I getting ready to do a complete on myselft thanks for sharing.

  7. #7-NICK-2009-06-05 22:02

    We are in Los Angeles CA (MST INC Baldwin Park).the plan is to sandblast it once all the welding is done.So far the deck and gooseneck are getting worked on first Deck is getting new pins new storage baskets in deck misc welding bracing all new wiring New Wood,etc.Not sure what kinda paint they use we just finished a 8 tire murray and a 16 tire of ours a while back so paint will match those.The guy doing the work is from D&X Welding out of San Marcos CA he could probably answer any technical questions you have.Here are a couple pics of the neck.

  8. #8bill53622009-06-07 21:34

    Nick thanks for the response I was just curious. It looks like they are doing a really nice job.

  9. #9JBlackwell2009-06-08 09:50

    I was wondering why you are having them strap the bottom flange of the neck around the paddles and also it looks like you had them fishplate the web at the base of the neck or added additional fishplating? Has the trailer lost any of its memory from too much deflection (overloading) or are you planning on overloading it? The trailer doesn't look 10 years old. Justin

  10. #10-NICK-2009-06-09 18:35

    The piece I think your talking about basically keeps the link from coming off ,it not that thick at all it has a small gusset and the curved plate that attaches to the neck so might help with strenghting a little .In the first picture is where the original fishplate was.It was removed and replaced with a new plate but not additional fishplating.Not sure but might have been removed to check for cracks.You can see the original surface in one of the pictures with a number written on it ,an order number maybe? As far as overloading I dont think anybody plans on overloading but in the event it does it's nice to know it can handle it .These trailers are built very well but I think a little extra never hurt.Besides It has to last at least another 16 years before needing a makeover

  11. #11Chaz Murray2009-06-10 13:07

    Its looking good...Ramon sure is good at what he dose...hated to loose him when he decided to move down to your neck of the woods.

  12. #12D5G2009-06-10 20:52

    Lookin cool! Can't wait to see it done, those trailers always amaze me!

  13. #13-NICK-2009-06-11 01:44

    They are working pretty fast on it,I would have to agree with you He does do very good work. I have been up to your shop two or three times in the past and you guys have always been helpful but 6 hours one way is pain So I am glad he came down here.:tong They got the neck strapped and the kingpin done and some other stuff here are some more pics.Hey Chaz how many of these trailers have you guys built over the years, haven't seen very many?

  14. #14Chaz Murray2009-06-11 19:26

    I really do not know off the top of my head but the last one we have built in that model was back in 2005 or 2006 and is down in your area, Kirkland Lowbed still has it. The total amount if I would have to guess would be less than 20 for the Ambassador Model...our M2000 Model is getting close to breaking that number now. Six have been built in the last 2 years and have one going through the paint shop as I type and one more In the fab shop scheduled to be done in October but we had to get started early because of another large project for the state of California, three Barrier Trailers http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/maint/workzone/mobile_work_zone_barr/index.htm . We have already built two of them back in 2004 and 2006 and just recently won the bid for three more....just hope the state has the money to pay us when it comes time with all this budget mess haha.:Banghead

  15. #15-NICK-2009-06-13 01:13

    I thought it would be a little higher.Good to hear you guys are staying busy building trailers.Just dont wait to long to cash that check from the state when you get it . So here are a few more progress pics,Deck got flipped so it is gonna get strapped.They finished welding some of the stuff from underneath.and got the parts for the storage baskets for the deck.

  16. #16-NICK-2009-06-13 01:43

    oops wrong pics.here they are

  17. #17King of Obsolete2009-06-13 09:33

    yes that guy can weld, more pictures please and very nice trailers you build chaz. thansk KoO Published Author

  18. #18Dualie2009-06-14 04:01

    now your going to need to add a special projects tab to the website where you can put this trailer and the flatbed you guys built back in the day.

  19. #19amunderdog2009-06-14 07:33

    I am not able to pickout a wireway. What do you make that out of? Can i see a picture of the machine that makes all those perfect cutouts in large steel pieces?

  20. #20tonka2009-06-14 08:00
  21. #21Chaz Murray2009-06-14 18:06

    Well the barrier trailers we can not sell to anyone else because the state of California holds the patten on them. We can build them for the state or who ever the state sells them to and that's it, so not much point in advertising them too much.

  22. #22-NICK-2009-06-15 00:07

    OK fellas A few pics.

  23. #23-NICK-2009-06-15 00:13

    And a few more

  24. #24Chaz Murray2009-06-15 14:50

    If you guys are ordering the 5th wheel you just called about you might as well cut the mount brackets off. The new 5th wheel comes with new ones

  25. #25-NICK-2009-06-17 01:21

    So I guess its gonna end up here.

  26. #26Dualie2009-06-17 01:28

    I don't look at it from a sales point i look at it as bragging rights. Special projects are just that, SPECIAL. they show a company's ability to preform out side their normal operating status and produce a top shelf product. especially in todays times its the small details that differentiate the winners and survivors from the also ran's. Just how i see it. Plus you could throw the trailers you built for euro export up there also with their 24V wiring system and euro spec lighting. As im sure you noticed any one can build lowbeds, but theres only one company that builds MURRAY lowbeds.

  27. #27Chaz Murray2009-06-17 10:45

    You have a point there....if i get some time today ill dig up some pictures from the past two we built and see if I can get some starting construction pictures today and make a new section for it

  28. #28King of Obsolete2009-06-18 15:45

    not to highjack this great thread but it is true on what you pay for is what you get. buddy barry has 2 gravel trailers that are the same design but differnet price ranges. the cheaper one has only 1/2 the welds,(the rest of the welds were replaces with a silicone) no quality on the workmanship. wiring is exposed to the gravel rocks (no protection). the amount of work we do on the cheaper trailer every year is costing more then the more expense trailer because little work is done to it every year. plus on resale value the expense one will bring top dollar where the cheaper one will be given away. keep up the good work and of course more pictures. like your website chaz and will be joining your BB. thansk KoO Published Author

  29. #29-NICK-2009-06-19 00:46

    We use a guy thats local here.He cuts it with a CNC plasma cutter we just give him the file for patterns or designs.I havent been there in a while but next time I go i'll try and take a couple of pics. So now the welders are working on the rear suspension got the booster and equilizer seperated,and stripped down and they are welding cutting and grinding like crazy.A couple more plates to weld on the main deck and it should be ready to get flipped back over to have the floors for the baskets welded in.The goose neck is pretty much done I think they order a couple of parts for it,and a little welding left and it should be done.Waiting for the fifth wheel and the tower will be done.Then work will start on the jeep .Here are a couple of pics of the last couple of days progress.

  30. #30Chaz Murray2009-06-19 11:57

    Nick...its a little hard to tell from the pictures but is there weld where shown in red? If so it needs to be cut loose again. Should never well across a flange, length wise is fine but across can cause cracks.

  31. #31-NICK-2009-06-19 16:43

    No its not welded its fitted around that part my camera is kinda cheap so picture quality is not that great I got a bunch of others on another camera I just gotta load them on this computer. later

  32. #32King of Obsolete2009-06-19 22:38

    what year is this trailer???? thansk KoO Published Author

  33. #33-NICK-2009-06-19 23:52

    Hey Chaz heres a close up picture.And a few more.King the trailer is a 1993.

  34. #34King of Obsolete2009-06-20 00:00

    i guess you guys don't have road salt that eats everything. that trailer is in great shape when you have square corners because you have no salt to eat the steel away. also give your welders a pat on the back, these guys can weld and are doing some nice work. the D.O.T. guys will be pleased to see the workmanship. thansk KoO Published Author

  35. #35-NICK-2009-06-20 00:10

    Road Salt?Whats that? Gotta love Sunny California I will pass the word on to the welders I am sure they will appreciate the kind words. thanks Nick

  36. #36-NICK-2009-06-20 00:58

    I was trying to keep these pictures in order but here are a few of the earlier stage of this project.Deck pin cut out for replacement Jig holding pin in place,Ramon welding,and fitting ,collar on pin to protect from weld spatter.

  37. #37-NICK-2009-06-24 01:00

    Heres a little more progress the booster has had some more welding.Had the back up lock cut out and welded back in.Needs a little more welding and the bumper fixed,should be done in next few days The equilizer had a little more work done and it should also be done next couple days Gooseneck is almost done needs a couple small things and the rollers changed might have be for the other style jeep maybe Chaz can tell us.

  38. #38daugherty1022009-06-24 01:08

    y'all make it look so easy. hahaha

  39. #39-NICK-2009-06-24 01:43

    A few pics of the trailer coming apart earlier.

  40. #40Chaz Murray2009-06-24 16:08

    Looks like it was set up when new to be used with a Loadmaster Style jeep based on roller placement. I am guessing you are using the Magnum style skeleton jeep then if you need to change out the roller brackets?

  41. #41King of Obsolete2009-06-24 22:59

    keep them pictures coming and what is the temperature that those fellows are working at. today in the KINGDOM we had the long undies on and the heat on in the shop. only +5C, LOL thansk KoO Published Author

  42. #42-NICK-2009-06-25 00:07

    Hey King,had to be in the 80'S today.The nice thing is they are working under the roof outside of the shop so it stays pretty cool .Chaz here are some pictures of the jeep for this trailer and of the rollers on our other trailer that we are going to change to.

  43. #43-NICK-2009-06-25 00:39

    and some more misc pictures.

  44. #44-NICK-2009-06-27 00:51

    A few pics from today.

  45. #45JBlackwell2009-06-29 12:38

    Ah heck, that is a 16+8+8 setup. I see it in the last pictures it is a 16 tire jeep. What good does that do because I know the center of gravity has to be toward the front of the trailer. Is it built for a 22K steer axle? Do you guys overload the rear a lot or make sure you load heavy up front? I know the jeep is 10' wide and you get 60,000# on that group, is the trailer 10' wide? Don't know what rear axle spacing is, but I know you get about 46,600# on 54" spacing on back groups. You call that a 70ton or a 75ton? Was just wondering why they trailer is congifured like that. I have only seen one other trailer like that which I think it was a Stockton built Siebert. Justin

  46. #46-NICK-2009-06-30 20:58

    With 16 tire jeep gives you more capacity than 8tire.Yes its a 10 wide jeep 10 wide trailer.I believe it is 54'' spacing on the trailer.The set up is fairly common on the west coast.I have seen MURRAY,COZAD, SIEBERT.Several companies in this area run them and have for a lot longer than we have ,must work..right? I believe Murray rates it at 76 Tons You can check on their website under Ambassador,has all the specs.Hope this helps. Nick

  47. #47-NICK-2009-07-01 19:46

    Some pictures of earlier stage no real order.

  48. #48-NICK-2009-07-01 20:04

    And some more random shot (rear suspension) (Close up of walking beam suspension) (Rear bumper on booster before repair) (Cross members for trailer) (Misc plates)

  49. #49-NICK-2009-07-08 01:54

    A quick update jeep is stripped down.tower is out suspension is off,will be getting all new bushings brakes etc..Got some parts they were waiting for.So gooseneck will get new roller brackets and it should pretty much be done .Rear booster is done with the welding.Equilizer is done.Walking beam and axles need to be checked maybe bushings and brakes and it will be done.Main deck has some more welding,floors for the baskets and a few minor things.And here are a few pictures

  50. #50-NICK-2009-07-08 01:57

    And some more

  51. #51Chaz Murray2009-07-08 12:37

    well I see the 5th wheel made it to ya

  52. #529Axle2009-07-08 23:56

    that trailer looks familiar i was wondering if that trailer used to belong to cmi or(john channel) out of lake Elsinore.or Burns trucking out of yuba city,ca.john had two trailers identical to that trailer u are fixing up same paint color

  53. #53King of Obsolete2009-07-09 00:04

    so that is what those little axles look like. us in the great white north have always wonder what the axles look like on the "all the tires across the back" trailers. also how do you guys change a flat tire??? thansk KoO Published Author

  54. #54-NICK-2009-07-09 01:23

    Yes I believe it is one in the same.Guess it's been around .We got it from a guy in San Diego.

  55. #55-NICK-2009-07-09 01:28

    You have to spread the axles to 10 wide to get to the inner tires.Then there is enough room.like this

  56. #56-NICK-2009-07-09 01:41

    Yeah I was hoping to find another hat in that box..just kidding.Hey Chaz a while back you guys were testing a scale on one of your trailers.Would it work on the back end of this trailer I realize it has a air gauge on the boster but what about the walking beam?

  57. #57Chaz Murray2009-07-09 10:51

    Yup we have something that will work on that now. It uses strain gauges to measure the amount of deflection in the steel to determine the weight and sends the signal to a hand held controller that can also scene the weight on the truck and air ride sections of the trailer with air sensors.

  58. #58-NICK-2009-07-09 23:51

    So where do you mount the strain guage?How many sensors can the controler handle,can it do the front axle on the tractor too?Got any pictures of the strain guage mounted,how accurate is the system?

  59. #59King of Obsolete2009-07-10 00:05

    wow eh!! is all i have to say in seeing the quality in this trailer that chaz builds plus these guys doing the welding and the refurbishing. also what is the heat like down there today, we had a hot day yesterday with it hitting +26C and i almost turned the AC on in the bunkhouse. after supper i had my leather jacket on to weld a bottom end of a boat motor. when i was welding uphand on the boat i was thinking of the welders working on your trailer having to do over head and uphand with leathers on. tonight as i type this, the rain is bouncing off my tin roof and i have the heaters on in my bunkhouse because it is +5C which is chilly after one day of heat. good thing we only get 5 hot days a year. keep them pictures coming because i'm seeing the outside world from the end of the world. thansk KoO Published Author

  60. #60Chaz Murray2009-07-10 12:50

    For a walking beam style suspension like on the back of the 9 axle you would mount one on top of each walking beam or on the jeep one on each equalizer. On the air ride part of of the truck or trailer it just taps into the air line going to the air bag. For the front axle of the truck you can either add another strain gauge or have it calculate what the weight would be on the front (that's what we do on the truck we have installed on in our fleet). The system is very accurate as long as it was calibrated so on at a 60,000 axle group the weight would be within 99% according to the mfg of the system. I will work on some pictures of the mounted gauge. I know I don't have any on my computer at the moment so ill have to run out to the yard and take ours apart.

  61. #61-NICK-2009-07-21 00:17

    Well its been a while since I posted an update the welders were waiting for some parts to get finished at the machine shop(pins&joints) .then another trailer came in that had to get done so work slowed on this one a little.here are a couple of pics of the parts.(pins&joints)and some crossmembers they fabricated.I'll try and post some more when I get a chance.

  62. #62Chaz Murray2009-07-21 10:50

    I did not think you guys were going to end up putting pin joints in the deck? I know we have been down this road before but we still advise against doing this.

  63. #63Chaz Murray2009-07-21 12:49

    Here are a couple pictures of the Scale sensors. If you look on top of the Equalizer there is a box mounted there with the sensor inside it. that same thing would have to be mounted to the walking beam of the 9 axle on each side if you wanted to install scales on that.

  64. #64King of Obsolete2009-07-21 21:49

    very nice guys, on my lucky days i can cut a plate that thick but a little grinding is needed to make it smooth,LOL. keep them pictures coming and how hot is it there??? thansk KoO Published Author

  65. #65-NICK-2009-07-21 23:24

    ..Yeah decided to make the deck pin on.I think you have to look at more than being able to haul equipment, a longer deck and an extension will help not necessarily being able to load heavier just larger , longer, odd shaped loads.Seems like being able to accommodate different loads and equipment will make it more useful I am sure your concerns of overloading are valid but just because some thing can fit doesn't mean we are going to try and load every thing we can.We are still mindful that the trailers weight limitations are still there.

  66. #66-NICK-2009-07-21 23:32

    I still don't quite get how it senses the weight I realize in a previous post you mentioned that it measures the defection in the metal but i wouldnt imagine that the equalizer could have that much deflection in it.Or are they that sensitive.any way thanks for the pics

  67. #67-NICK-2009-07-22 00:00

    ha ha they are pretty hefty 4'' and 2" if I remember correctly.Well i was in Malibu today and it was real nice in the high 70's by the coast.but heading into the canyons were I had to go got hotter 80's and there's no breeze so you start getting real hot.I am just glad my A/C works real well. here are a few more pics

  68. #68Chaz Murray2009-07-22 19:39

    that are that sensitive..the smallest deflection it can sense and that's how it measures it.

  69. #69-NICK-2009-07-24 00:24

    some more pictures of the progress

  70. #70-NICK-2009-07-25 20:58

    Here are some more pictures crossmembers tacked in place on the inside of the deck and on the outerside.

  71. #71-NICK-2009-07-28 00:16

    Some more pics of the progress of the pin joint.

  72. #72King of Obsolete2009-07-28 00:31

    ok, now it is starting to make sense. could not figure out why such a big joint in the frame. that welder is doing nice work playing with such thick material in the heat of the day. email me a snail mail so i can send him a book to read as he takes a break to cool down. [email protected] thansk KoO Published Author

  73. #73Chaz Murray2009-07-28 17:52

    With all this work you guys are putting into this used one....should have just got a new one Have a Beam deck M2000 in the final finish shop right now...a few last min. add on's are being done right now in the deck, adding 5 more block baskets between a few cross members then touch up the paint. Took it over the scale today and the empty weight came in at 46,000lbs with the jeep so assuming a 20k truck empty weight will be about 66,000lbs!!

  74. #74Squizzy246B2009-07-28 21:40

    -NICK-, Thanks for a great thread and excellent pictures.:thumbsup

  75. #75-NICK-2009-07-28 22:45
  76. #76-NICK-2009-07-28 22:54

    No problem,I figured someone out there would like to see it taken apart and put back together I Know I enjoy seeing other peoples projects.I have some more of another of our trailers that they did a while back,but I will wait to post them after this one is done.Dont want to wear out my welcome.

  77. #77JDOFMEMI2009-07-29 02:33

    That is a pretty good liteweight there. If I recall the capacities right it should be good for 180K payload, if you can get the load balanced to max out all the axles.

  78. #78-NICK-2009-08-02 18:28

    Just a quick update,joint is almost done the deck is cut the rear section has been separated just need some finish welding on the remainder of the pin joint and it will be done.Then work can resume on the Jeep's suspension ,bushings etc.and the rollers on the goose neck.All the rest of the mechanical stuff brakes etc..should be done in the next couple weeks then it should be ready for the painter and reassembly. some pictures of the deck with the ends capped getting ready to be separated.

  79. #79Black Wolf2009-08-06 02:40

    I will add my Thanks as well for taking the time to post this thread. As a welder myself, I can truly appreciate both the conditions that these guys are working in, and also can attest to the quality of the work they are doing. NICE STUFF. I have done some trailer refurbishing in the past as well, mostly oilfield floats, and some tridem lowbeds. Also converted big 6 tandem highboys to tridem air ride for bed trucks etc, but nothing quite this involved.... I have built winch tractors, bed trucks, and picker trucks, cut off the back ends of bed trucks and upgraded them from 8" to 10" or 12" live rolls, but this project of yours is really interesting to me. The configuration of that trailer is not that common up here in Northern Alberta... I have pulled an Aspen 48 Wheeler (16 Jeep, 16 Trailer - 16 Booster) like that, but there are only a couple in town. Most are still the more conventional style of 40 Wheelers (16 Jeep, 16 Trailer, 8 Booster) where the trailer has fixed suspension, and the booster is pinned on and shimmed up. We DO have an Aspen 120 Ton 80 Wheeler in town that is used for Compressor Buildings etc. Seems that the equipment needs up here are evolving to Tri-drive tractors, 16 Jeeps, 24 Lowboys on Air Ride, and Pin on 8 wheel Boosters right now for moving Service Rigs. I prefer Mechanical Detach necks myself, but most new ones are coming with Hyrdrualic Detach. As we haul "Off Highway" more than on, we need the ability to split the hauling combinations apart as needed. Thanks again, Have a Good Night.

  80. #80-NICK-2009-08-08 00:55

    I am glad to share them I think they show the skill level and talent that these guys have.I think alot of times people don't realize how much work goes into building and repairing these trailers.Just thought I would give credit where its due. :drinkup

  81. #81-NICK-2009-08-08 01:09

    And a few more.

  82. #82JDOFMEMI2009-08-08 01:43

    Looking good. Is there going to be a pin or bolts or something for the outside rail? I have been wondering about this for a while now. Also, how long of a deck extension are you going to put in? Thanks

  83. #83-NICK-2009-08-08 23:30

    Hey Jerry, no its not getting pins or being bolted ,as far as the extension goes it depends.The space in the well is 26ft If I remember correctly so depending on the kind of work that comes along I think will dictate the length.40 ft seems like the space needed,so maybe a 4ft and 10ft or even 14ft :beatsme.With it not being steerable it might not be practical to be that long.But we know a guy that can build us something to fix that .

  84. #84-NICK-2009-08-18 23:39

    a few pics of the main deck and the rollers for the gooseneck getting tacked together.

  85. #85-NICK-2009-08-25 23:55

    A quick update the pin joint on deck is done.Floors for the storage baskets in deck are in.Gooseneck rollers are going on.Should be ready for sandblasting and paint in next few weeks.

  86. #86-NICK-2009-08-26 00:18

    Some more pics of some of the deck.

  87. #87-NICK-2009-09-01 01:06

    Got a few more pics gooseneck rollers.Had a problem with the originals so the welder had to fab some new pieces for them.Starting to get the rest of the pieces ready for paint.Not sure if its gonna get sandblasted now already starting to DA some of the parts.Cant seem to find a good sandblaster:beatsme guess they are all busy.

  88. #88-NICK-2009-09-01 01:20

    A few pics of the storage baskets and locking box in deck

  89. #89JDOFMEMI2009-09-01 01:52

    Sure is nice work Nick. It will be like brand new when Ramon gets done with it. Probably better than new for that matter.

  90. #90-NICK-2009-09-04 00:18

    Thats what we are hoping for some more pics,some parts should be ready for paint this weekend.

  91. #91devils26192009-09-05 22:52

    what size and type of electrode do you think he is welding with in post #37? That looks pretty thick. Out of my league

  92. #92-NICK-2009-09-07 02:51

    I don't know.out of my league too .some more pics.

  93. #93-NICK-2009-09-07 02:55

    and some more.

  94. #94Steve Frazier2009-09-07 11:30

    I've been watching the progress here and it's very interesting to see the work you're doing. You have quite a talented crew there. I have a question that perhaps Mr. Murray can answer. The cut outs we see through out the trailer, are they for weight savings, or to allow flex or perhaps even both? If for weight savings, how much weight is typically lost through these cut outs?

  95. #95-NICK-2009-09-10 16:47

    As far as I know its supposed to be for weight saving.I don't think it saves that much maybe a few hundred or SO but than again every pound counts.i Think it also has to do with design or trademark i.e round hole triangle oval etc..also helps to be able to tie down being able to go through the holes to chain down not needing a buch of d rings.

  96. #96Chaz Murray2009-09-10 18:20

    The rounded rectangle is our registered trademark

  97. #97bigblueox2009-09-11 13:18

    i believe it adds ridigity.? am i right. I used a similar process to put stiffiners in race cars chassis. www.lightracing.com/LightRacingTech/FlareHoleArticle_4x4Garage.pdf . i'm thinking its the same concept?

  98. #98Chaz Murray2009-09-11 14:02

    The only way it would add rigidity would be if the hole were dimpled/flared but that is usually only used on thin sheet metal...not thicker like 3/16, 1/4, 3/8 and 5/16" that is used in our trailers. For our application the only reason for it is for our trademark.

  99. #99-NICK-2009-09-30 00:10

    A quick update got some parts painted some are getting sandblasted and some are primed ready for paint.Got all the brake parts(I THINK)all the bushings wiring etc..just need to get the rest painted and it should go back together pretty soon.

  100. #100-NICK-2009-09-30 00:14

    more

  101. #101JDOFMEMI2009-09-30 00:38

    Looking good Nick Looks like it will be together soon. Seen a couple of your trucks out recently. Good that you have some work.

  102. #102-NICK-2009-10-06 22:33

    Just gotta get the painter to hurry up and finish Been busy last couple weeks,hopefully it stays that way

  103. #103Dualie2009-10-09 00:35

    I spy a non compliant fuel can... Trailer looks like its coming along GREAT! On and FYI I HATE these new CARB approved gas cans. I Don't know how the heck spilling fuel all over the place can be better than letting a little vapors vent out when transferring gas.

  104. #104-NICK-2009-10-14 15:16

    Thats not a fuel can thats um..water everyone knows fuel goes in the red can. Getting close to getting this thing done.Got some more parts painted getting all the brakes and stuff back on should have that done by end of week or early next week.Hopefully it doesnt rain anymore so the painter can finish up.

  105. #105-NICK-2009-10-14 15:19

    Oh and some more of the jeep.

  106. #106JDOFMEMI2009-10-14 15:38

    Nick It sure is looking good. I bet you can't wait to pull it. I would sure hate to put the first scratch in it though.

  107. #107-NICK-2009-10-15 23:30

    Yeah once in a while will be fine.Not really worried about scratches I just don't want to be the first to break something.

  108. #108Chaz Murray2009-10-16 12:59

    I just spotted something you guys should have done before painting the jeep :Banghead:bash I think you ordered a new wiring harness from us for the whole trailer and when it was originally built it was set up with two tail lights and the new harness is set up for three so should have cut a couple holes out for two more tail lights...but nothing a little touch up paint cant fix

  109. #109-NICK-2009-10-16 22:38

    So your saying you sent the wrong part?No problem we'll just send it back on monday.good thing we didn't use it yet .And some more pics of it going back together.

  110. #110prenn1984@gmail2009-10-20 16:21

    Any more updates? looks awesome :thumbsup. are you gonna get to pull it Nick? Not bashing you or anything but with as much work as you guys are putting in to it, would you have been better off building a new one? or was it a steal and cheap labor? also did you get a weight on it before it was disassembled?

  111. #111-NICK-2009-10-21 21:02

    Brakes are on they were wiring it today,that's about it just waiting for the last 2 pieces to get painted.Yeah I will probably pull it now and then.As far as the work put into it yeah it was a lot of work it wasnt in that bad condition its just if it was gonna be put down for the stuff it needed might as well do it all and not have to worry about it .The price even with all the work done is still alot less than a new one would have been.I dont know if it was every weighed. Nick

  112. #112prenn1984@gmail2009-11-10 23:08

    Any updates Nick? lets see it! :bouncegri

  113. #113-NICK-2009-11-11 01:30

    here are a couple of pics almost there.Had a couple of issues with the paint so a couple of pieces had to be touched up,so it set every thing back a bit,but it came out real nice,and a few other minor issues but every thing is back on track should be done real soon(I think i've said that before )

  114. #114-NICK-2009-11-24 23:14

    some more progress

  115. #115-NICK-2009-11-24 23:31

    and a few more

  116. #116tonka2009-11-25 08:43

    Lookin good NICK, going a lil slow now, i figured you guys would have had her out on the road by now.

  117. #117-NICK-2009-11-26 00:13

    yeah kinda slow whatta ya gonna do theses guys keep taking lunch breaks then they go home at night

  118. #118-NICK-2009-11-26 00:16

    and a few more

  119. #119tonka2009-11-26 08:55

    next they are going to want union pay too

  120. #120prenn1984@gmail2009-11-28 16:04

    wheels are looking sharp man! are they new or is that a Caliva polish job?

  121. #121CAT ONLY2009-11-30 00:39

    I agree with prenn those wheels look very sharp.

  122. #122-NICK-2009-11-30 23:08

    The rears are polished by calivas.the jeep are new really cant tell the diffrence .Ramon(D&X Welding) built some steel plates for the deck to save the wood from getting tore up by the machine we tested the trailer out on (cat836).I think there are a couple of small changes that are gonna get made ,other than painting the deck its pretty much done.and some pics

  123. #123JDOFMEMI2009-12-01 02:31

    Finally out on the road with it. Looks like it is holding up under the weight of the 836 really good. Still a nice arch in it. Have to see what it looks like with a real 9 axle load on it. I like the deck plates. They look thick enough to hold up to a real beating.

  124. #124prenn1984@gmail2009-12-01 04:33

    looks good!:thumbsup did you get to pull it? how did it handle?

  125. #125heavylift2009-12-01 17:03

    looks good... nice idea about saving the wood. Who scratched it first I'd throw a gallon of paint at the plates... I know it won't last ... gives it a better look

  126. #126-NICK-2009-12-01 23:00

    The plates worked out pretty good maybe need a little more welding on them to keep from sliding around. seem to be a able to hold up to the 836 with no problem cant say the same for the front of the deck I got to pull it first.It wasnt too bad a little longer than our 7 axleI guess you get used to it after a while.Jerry heres a few pics from today of a d10n that one of the other drivers did.

  127. #127JDOFMEMI2009-12-01 23:42

    Hey Nick It's a small world. I just missed your driver today by the looks of things. If I had been a little earlier, I might have seen your new baby in person. Where did the D-10 go to?

  128. #128-NICK-2009-12-01 23:53

    thats funny,I went yesterday but it wasnt ready so we went back today.It just went down the road to Quinn. Were you working with those guys up on the top?How did you like the pics?

  129. #129JDOFMEMI2009-12-02 00:17

    Nick Yes, I was with the crew working on the road up top. Love your pictures of the rebuild, and now it is nice to see it finally working. Looks like it tests out good. Are you getting ready to paint the rest of it now?

  130. #130heavylift2009-12-02 00:20

    I noticed the lack of red & white reflective tape on the trailer... is there a correct amount of tape... I see there is some on the front jeep... Might save you a ticket if it's required.. Iwould rather see the money in your pocket than the Terminators

  131. #131prenn1984@gmail2009-12-02 03:02

    its required on at least 50% of the trailer. did you guys happen to weigh that 10 on there? how come you have your 7 axle jeep hooked up to it, is the other one not complete yet?

  132. #132prenn1984@gmail2009-12-02 19:26

    Nick also do you know the width of the center rails on that murray? how much clearance did you have with that 836?

  133. #133-NICK-2009-12-02 22:24

    Jerry hopefully it will get painted real soon there were a few little things that we are gonna change.like the oversize sign and the rear lights on the booster and a couple things on the deck I think.Then hopefully it gets painted Heavy Lift yeah they have to put it on still your right no need giving it to the governator. Preen didnt get a chance to weight it empty or with the d10 yet.The other jeep wasnt ready yesterday We took the pony motor out and plumbed it to work off the tractor our trucks have PTO's on them to run Landolls I think they are waiting on the couplers.Dont know off hand the width will have to check but it had a couple of inches clearance.DO you have problems with clearance on yours?

  134. #134prenn1984@gmail2009-12-03 04:49

    we've never hauled one but i was told they wouldn't clear the center rails and that you got to haul them on a flat deck. wouldn't think the center beam is that much different between a cozad and murray, maybe Chaz could answer this one? Looks good though Nick keep postin pics!

  135. #135-NICK-2009-12-03 23:28

    the rails are 6"wide I believe on the bigger trailers the rails are 8" didn't check the overall width between the two but that's probably why it wont work on yours.It didn't have very much space so that 4'' might be the difference.

  136. #136SOCALLOWBOY2009-12-07 21:38

    Renn, Our Rackley and Cozad nine axles both rails are 58" wide. Should be the same on your Cozad. We just haul a new 836H on the Rackley with no problem.

  137. #137SOCALLOWBOY2009-12-07 21:42

    Opps almost forgot. Nick, Your trailer is looking great. Nothing like doing a project the right way.

  138. #138-NICK-2009-12-07 22:46

    I measured the other day I got 57"1/8th overall.Thanks SOCALLOWBOY I'd like to take all the credit but all I did was take the pictures Here is a vid on took the other day http://www.youtube.com/user/74nickg#p/a/u/0/1yALL88LA2E

  139. #139SOCALLOWBOY2009-12-09 19:53
  140. #140-NICK-2009-12-22 18:57

    We took the trailer to get inspected the other day and got it weighed.here is a copy of the CAL TRANS report.With all the welding and stuff Looks like it put on a couple of pounds Can still legal 75 tons.

  141. #141Dualie2009-12-22 20:45

    SWEET. ambitious project looks like it paid off

  142. #142heavylift2009-12-23 01:11

    what's the green / purple other than the obvious.. color and weights... different permit price?

  143. #143Chaz Murray2009-12-23 01:16

    Just how california refers to their different weight charts...there is another one that is not used very often that is a little lower than green weight...Orange http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/traffops/permits/wgtcharts.htm Oh yea notice the little picture to the right on the Caltrans site

  144. #144heavylift2009-12-23 01:54

    Thanks.... they could have at least put a murray banner on the scraper

  145. #145JDOFMEMI2009-12-23 21:40

    Nick It looks good. Yard looks a little tight for a 9 axle though.

  146. #146-NICK-2010-01-05 22:51

    Yeah it was a pretty big project and we were able to keep the payload at 75 tons which is what we were aiming for and we will be able to add an extension so it looks like it will pay off. We are getting ready to start building an extension pretty soon so we will see how well it works.

  147. #147-NICK-2010-01-05 22:59

    Ha HA your not kidding dont forget a 7 and a couple 5's and a few Landolls .The plan a while back was to widen both gates,but kinda went on the back burner:beatsme .

  148. #148-NICK-2010-02-24 23:45

    a few pics of truck crane one of the other drivers did

  149. #149prenn1984@gmail2010-02-24 23:58

    looks good! keep the pics coming :thumbsup

  150. #150CAT ONLY2010-03-16 02:09

    Hey Nick, Where are you guys out of in socal? What city? I always see you on the 605.

  151. #151-NICK-2010-03-17 20:08

    Were off of Arrow HWY in Baldwin Park.

  152. #152KW3182010-03-17 22:39

    Your guys did a great job, I wonder how many lbs of rod was burnt? The welding was a work of art. Thanks again

  153. #153CAT ONLY2010-03-21 02:46

    Oh! near ARI?

  154. #154Newman2012-02-06 22:30

    Resurrecting an old thread because i can... Did you ever get the extension built?

  155. #155-NICK-2012-02-06 23:24

    No kinda got put on the back burner

  156. #156krous392012-09-23 09:04

    Nick your the best in the world when it comes to trucking hahahaha