Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Looking to buy NH LS185B any opinions from users?

tmc_31 ยท 2012-05-20 12:11

Hey guys, I am currently running a 2002 NH LS170 with about 2600 hours on it. My previous (and first) machine was a 2000 LX565 with about 4600 hrs on it when I traded it. For some strange reason, it seems to me that the LX565 would pick up more than my LS170 even though the 170 has 10 more HP. My dealer has always accused me of trying to get more out of my machines that they were designed for (and he is right), but this LS170 seems weak. I am thinking about upgrading to a larger machine. Something that will lift and carry 2500lbs or more, have about 80hp, with a cab & AC (I live and work in Texas you know). I would like to also drive a 36" auger down about 11' (in normal soil/digging conditions, ie. no rock, water or other obstructions). I like and have used with good results New Holland machines for years. However I am not bound to them in any way. I am considering a LS185B in the 05-07 range with 1,000-1,500 hours on it. Do any of you have any opinions (good or bad) about these machines? Can you suggest an alternative machine and give the reasons why? The brands we have locally are NH, Deere, Case, Cat, Bobcat and Kubota. I would prefer to stay with one of these brands for the dealer support. Thanks for your assistance, Tim

Replies16
  1. #1KSSS2012-05-20 13:45

    Horsepower and Lift capacity are not related. Historically NH has been known for higher lift capacity and lower hp. However as the two CNH lines started to merge and use common engines and other componenets the NH machines became more powerful. If you are pushing the NH design to far, (they are not built as heavy as some others) and are seeing early component failures or frame cracking or breaking I would look to something heavier built. Otherwise if your overall happy with NH, and you have a positive relationship with the dealer, I would stay with them. If you want something else to look at I would suggest a CASE 445 Series 3, or if you want a lot more capacity, than a 465. These machines are more heavy duty, lift arms are the same on these two machines, and they have good power. The S3 cab improvements are comfortable although the cabs are a little narrow if your a wide body.

  2. #2tmc_312012-05-20 21:40

    Thank you for your comments KSSS,

  3. #3NCPIPELINE2012-05-21 07:55

    Our bobcat S750 has worked well for us. Enclosed cab with lots of power, handles the big auger like a dream with the cab forward you can see much more.

  4. #4amscontr2012-05-22 06:58

    We bought a new NH LS 185 in 2006 then sold it in 2006 and went back to Bobcat. The savings didn't justify the headaches.

  5. #5tmc_312012-05-22 19:58

    Thanks for your comments guys. amscontr, what kind of problems were you having? Tim

  6. #6tmc_312012-06-05 21:30

    Well, talked to my local Bobcat dealer today. Of course he tried to get me to buy a new machine. I told him that that wasn't in the cards any time soon. He was telling me that one of his other customers was looking to trade in a 2004 S250 with 2400 hrs on it that had nearly all the features that I was looking for. He did not price it to me, but said that they had done all the service on the machine since new. Anyone own one of these or have any experience with one that you are willing to share? This is a little older machine with more hours on it than I was looking for but if it a really good machine, at a good price, it might be worth while. Apparently, Bobcat offers a drive train warranty for purchase on used machines. Has anyone bought or used this warranty? Thanks, Tim

  7. #7Bobcatdan2012-06-05 22:25

    S250 are strong tough machines. 75 hp and 2500 lbs lift. Bobcat does have some sort of exented warranty, but I do not know the details and the restrictions. When the machine comes, arrange to demo it and see how you like. Bobcats and NH are night and day so if you like the NH, only you can decide if you like it. If you plan on running a lot of different attachment, this is where bobcat shine. Overall 2400 are low hrs as long as they where not insainly hard hours. A customer of mine has a S220, basiclly the same machine, just turn 20,000 hrs.

  8. #8tmc_312012-06-05 23:43

    Thanks Bobcatdan, I do run a lot of different attachments from a 6 way dozer blade, dirt bucket, pallet forks with side shift and a C-15 auger. I have been looking at a 60" rotary mower also. I appreciate your thoughts and am looking forward to giving the S250 a try. Tim

  9. #9Bobcatdan2012-06-06 18:32

    I'm just nosey, what kinda of dozer blade do you have? Electrical connections are not really standarized between manufactures so making them work on every machine can be tricky. You run a NH now, do you have the factory 14 pin connection? If so NH's 14 pin and bobcat's "old" 14 pin are the same. There is a kit to put 14 pin on the newer machines so in theroy it should be simple.

  10. #10tmc_312012-06-07 18:24

    Hey Bobcatdan, The dozer blade I have is a 6' six way blade manufactured by 7 Diamond Industries of Sterling Colorado. I found his store on ebay. I called him, he gave me a very good price and he drop shipped it to my job site in San Antonio Tx. It arrived with flat faced couplers and charged with hydraulic oil and ready to work exactly when he said it would and just in time for me to cover about 1500' of ditch. I could not have been happier. No, I don't have the 14 pin connector on my loader. My dealer installed a new cable out if the fuse box in the engine compartment that runs through an unused rocker switch on the right control stick. It only takes two wires to operate the solenoid on the dozer blade.

  11. #11tmc_312012-06-15 20:57

    Went in to my NH dealer today to check on the search for a L185. He asked me if I would be interested in a L190 that he just took in on trade. The L190 is a 2007 model with 1037 hrs on it. Cab, heat/ac, hyd plate, tires maybe 50%. This machine is less than 800lb more that the L185 I was looking for so it will still fit into my weight/dimension parameters. I am going to take it out and give it a work out this weekend.

  12. #12tmc_312012-06-16 16:35

    So, I brought home the L190 that my dealer wanted me to look at so I could play with it this weekend. It appears to be an early 2007 L190 with a 81 HP (gross) 4 cylinder normally aspirated engine and a flat glass door. According to a mechanic at the dealership, there was a model change in that year where they went to a curved glass door, updated cab and who knows what other changes. Does anybody know how to tell when the machine was manufactured by looking at the serial number? It does not have an owners manual with it and I can't seem to find the specs. I am not even sure what engine it has in it. Does anybody know where the tag for the engine would be located? This machine seems to be very well kept with fairly low hours (1079 hrs) for it's age. The machine seems to start good and runs well until you advance the throttle to nearly full power. Then it sputters and cuts out (still runs, but rough). If you back off of the throttle, it smooths out. The sputtering started when I picked up a full bucket of dirt. Thought maybe that the fuel gauge was bad and that it was trying to run out of diesel. Gauge shows full and when I tried to add fuel from a 5 gal can, it only took about a gallon. So gauge is ok, Skid is full of fuel. Now I am thinking maybe a dirty fuel filter or an injector problem. I can't see any unusual smoke while operating. . Anybody got any other ideas what might be causing this? The machine might be a keeper if the dealer can sort out this and a few other minor problems. He hasn't given me a price so that will certainly affect my decision too. Thanks, Tim

  13. #13tmc_312012-06-17 13:11

    Edit to prior post: when the loader engine is sputtering, it is blowing serious white smoke Tim

  14. #14KSSS2012-06-17 13:41

    It sounds like injector or injector pump to me. I think those machines are underpowered for how large they are. I believe they use the 3.2 Iveco NA motor but I may be wrong. They are good engines but without a Turbo not enough go for a machine that is as large as that one. I would say that if your using it mostly for lift and carry type jobs, it may be powerful enough for that type application. However if your doing a fair amount of excavating type projects I think you will find it lacking.

  15. #15tmc_312012-06-17 20:57

    Hey KSSS, The newer ones have turbos, I am curious as to when they made the change over to the turbo engines. It may be an injector or a pump or maybe just a dirty fuel filter. I am just demoing the machine this weekend, it goes back to the dealer tomorrow. I have found a few minor issues that I am sure my dealer will take care of before I take it home for good. Pricing hasn't been discussed yet. It's hard to evaluate the power since I can't run it a high power settings yet, but it sure starts easy and runs smoothly at lower power settings. Most of what I do is lift and carry and move piles of loose dirt. I want to be able to turn a 3' auger down to about 11' in normal soil conditions. That will probably be the biggest power hog, that and running a grubber for brush work. Tim

  16. #16tmc_312012-06-19 00:15

    Well I pulled the trigger on the L190 Skid steer. Dealer says he will have all the issues cleared up and it will be ready for me to pick up Thursday I asked him about a warranty, and he threw in a 90 day power train warranty. I also picked up a 36" auger and a 6' extension (already had the auger drive). Now if I can just find an aftermarket cup holder for it! I just returned home from the dealer and a guy called asking me if I still do brush work? I had advertised on CL for doing tractor mowing and brush work. I told him "you bet" I can be there Friday Tim