I'm looking to update from my Kobelco SK200lcIV. I've owned the machine 10 years, it's reached 10,000 hrs with minimal downtime headaches, and I'm hoping to do the same thing again... My criteria are to be in the same class, pre interim tier 4, and under 4000 hrs. Does anyone have high hours on '08 - '11 model year machines without feeling like it has become unreliable? I don't have any hesitations about running mine every day, and I'm looking to find a comparable replacement. My Kobelco has the 5.9 Cummins, hydraulic pump was rebuilt at 8500 hrs, replaced motor mounts around 6500 hrs, and other than some blown hoses, and minor electrical setbacks, it has treated me well. I'd look to Kobelco again, but I'm not sure of either the Hino or the FPT engines that were used. Deere? Cat? Case? Komatsu?
I would be careful of that vintage of kobelcos they where controlled by new holland in the usa for about 10 years until last year when their contract ran out now they are back to the old kobelco gang. they lost a lot of their sales during that time and put out some pretty poor machines.
Any of the machines you listed should go 10,000+ as long as they had been taken care of the first 3,000. You should try and sit in them all before you make up your mind which one you want. I prefer Case, just because I like how the hydraulics operate, and Case has always been strong in the stick. Cat I feel is overpriced, in initial cost and repairs. Komatsu, they have a nice cab, but I've always thought they were light in the tail (except for an HD model), and I don't care for the extra long control levers. Deere, good machines as well, just kinda heavy on fuel, and I don't think they have the breakout in the stick that the Case or Cat do. All this is my opinion, check all brands out and talk to guys with experience with the dealers. Everyone seems to say the same thing on here, go with the dealer that gives you the best service.
Thanks Shimmy. I agree with you on the Komatsu's long levers. Deere used them on their pre 'D' series machines and I wasn't a fan of them. Did Case use Cummins engines in the 210B's, and how is their parts availability? As for service, I only needed two service calls from the dealer in the time I've owned the Kobelco - I'm looking for that kind of reliability in my update machine.
No, a 210 is basically an updated 9030B, but a 210 B is a totally different machine. Isuzu engine and the machine is about 3500 lbs heavier. As for parts availability, that will depend on dealer. I don't think there are any dealers anymore in this day and age that keep every hose, belt, filter, clamp, whatever on hand for every machine. If you want to know, go in to a dealer, ask them to look up filters hoses, etc. on a particular machine and see what they have on hand. One thing to consider, you might have to pay a little more for the machine, but if you buy it from your local dealer, they will probably be more willing to put parts on the shelf for you.
I'm also very curious about Volvo excavators. Volvo seems to be gaining ground with their line. Their wheeled excavators are popular with municipalities, and their articulated trucks seem to be preferred. Is this confidence coming through in their crawler excavators?
Only place I ever see Volvo hoes is on Gold Rush. There was a bunch up at a dealer in Minot, but one week they were there, then they were gone and haven't come back. Maybe someone on here runs them and can talk about it.
I have a 360B volvo that I junked at 10,000 hrs it was smooth and good power but poorest service of any excavator that I have ever had in over 30 years of running them. that's why I did not even get a quote from volvo last spring when I bought a new case cx350C
Check out dirtman2007's youtube channel. He runs Volvo's and appears to like em quite a bit, he's also one hell of an operator. His youtube channel name is Letsdig18
That has to be kind of a sore spot. Junking a hoe at 10,000 hrs. My dad has a 9030B with 11,000 hrs. Still has original undercarriage, no doubt in my mind that machine will go another 10,000. With undercarriage of course.
I have other brands that have close to 20,hrs on them and a lot tougher life than the volvo. I'am sure that I could keep feeding it money to keep it going but you have to stop somewhere. I was just looking at it yesterday while running new case thinking about how sad it is because it was a smooth and strong running machine you just couldn't keep it running.
What kind of stuff keeps breaking? Just little nickel and dime stuff like relays, electrical gremlins, hoses, stuff like that? Or are we talking swing drive, finals, Rotec, that sort of thing? It just seems crazy to be walking away from a machine that still functions. I'm not second guessing you in the least, I'm just curious what has factored into the decision.
computers,numerus heater cores,cylinders turning black and breaking ends off,broken main boom pin,final drive falling off,injectors leaking by hard /no start thats just what I can remember at the moment.
Most of that sounds like *** type of repairs. No good. On that 9030, the most substantial repair was repacking stick and bucket cylinders, and replacing all pins and bushings in the stick and bucket linkage. Did that at 8000 hrs. I just hope this 210 is as reliable as that 9030 was. So, how many hrs you have on the 350? Any observations/opinion on the DPD (DPF) system?
got off of it at dark last night 698 hr's . I ran it when I first got last spring for a couple of day's mainly setting up drop hammer and playing with it since then my operators have been running it about three days a week feeding crusher . they have been off since christmas eve so I got to run it all day wed ,frid and sat cleaning up on top of pile while there were no truck's coming in getting in my way . It seem's to regen at least once a day can't tell it just see the notice on the screen . It regened friday morning when I just started running about 20 min it set off a fuel filter code low fuel pressure so i called dealer they are only a couple miles away and they just serviced it 133 hrs ago came right out we checked it out and changed primary filter did not help so he said would order a fuel pressure sending unit thats right in the top of the secondary filter. the only thing that I have noticed is when your move the thumb it kill's the swing pressure so when you dump bucket and swing back to get another one you can't raise the thumb back up with out slowing the swing down I guess my old kobelco bladerunner has spoiled me with the aux circuit running off the blade pump( I was in A and H mode I need to try it in SP mode to see if it's the same). I do like that when you change the fuel filter's you don't fill them up just put back on and the primer pump does it for you so you don't get dirty fuel in the filters and it uses element cartridges so you can see how dirty and whats in them with out having to cut them apart
We are looking at a CX350C, set up pretty much the same as yours, how do you like it, and do you have any pictures of it?
That's right on with my 210. About every 7-8 hrs. I like to keep an eye on the gauge, if its been on 4 bars for awhile, I will keep it idled up if I need to get out. I have not had an interrupted regen nor a failed one yet; have not had to do a manual regen and I hope to keep it that way. One thing I have noticed I kind of dislike is all the extra tin, like surrounding the fuel tank. All those little cracks and areas for dirt, dust, and debris to collect. Why couldn't they just leave that stuff off? I suppose easier to change a body panel than replace a tank.....I still hate it. That and the 500 hr oil change interval. No thanks. The Case salesman got pissed at me when I told him I was ready for oil and filter at 250 hrs. Said you're foolish, we're trying to save you money. I told him I don't care, that's fine, I'll buy my own oil between Case suggested intervals.
I have one Volvo 350 and it seems to be ok but I have been warned about the price of replacement parts on it several times. Even though the initial cost was cheap. Wondering is that true with you guys. As for running a new machine. 3 komatsu guys and a cummins instructor told me the 5.9 industrial power engine was original from komatsu. Cummins just bought it and changed a few things. In the beginning I didn't believe it but once the cummins instructor said they are right then I guess it is I have change parts on my bailers which is a 5.9 cummins and bought them from A komatsu dealer. Is that the same engine in that old kobelco. Those engines are also use in Tiger Cat forestry machines. Unknown if you like the deere but keep in mind the hitachi machines are the same except engine. which you will get better fuel economy out of. I think there are issues with them all and its all about preventive maintaince. I have seen junk machines at 7k hours and I have seen good machines at 20k hours. Good luck
it has a craig manufacturing wedge style coupler,thumb and 2 buckets and ripper I wanted a progressive link thumb but it has a medium stick when they ran the dimensions in the cad system it didn't have enough stick length to fit it all in so we had to go with a non link arrangement but it work's good they built the thumb and cyclinder heavier because we are all ways handling large concrete pieces.
Hey ya......You guys add the corner guards? The guys like to forget what's around them or just to help save the machine? Pretty piece of iron. I also see a "Link Belt" 9030 in the one pic? What's the story on that one. We only ever had B's but one of my competitors has a 2800 they bought new in '95. They say they will run it until it won't run no more. Like I've said, I have absolutely nothing negative to say about those hoes.
Good looking machine. I sure do like the guarding on there. Who built them? How do the Craig attachments hold up?
I see you went with a stick mounted thumb. After much soul-searching last winter, I did the same. I really would have preferred the matching arcs you get with a pin mount, but I often install/remove the thumb weekly. I was not interested in the extra PITA factor dealing with that big pin, no to mention the coupler. I work alone, mostly, and I can put it on or get it off in about 20 min. Anyway, I sure look forward to someday having a need for a machine like that or bigger. Ran a 400 one winter for about 500 hrs. Sure is awesome having that much iron at your fingertips.
I built the guards all the way around it 4"x4" 3/8"wall tubing and on the counter weight some scrap I think it was part of the frame of an old asphalt roller I cut up it makes it nice with heavy cat walks all the way around it the corners will hit first if they clear swing so will the counter weight. also run 1/2" X 3"AR flat bar standing vertical to mount the tubing on but it also helps protect the bottom of the upper structure from damage from concrete riding up on top of track pads also narrowed track pads up 4.5" on each side of pads figured adding the extra weight on the counter weight would help off set the reduced weight on the pads. On the older hoes I got a LS2800CII that bought in jan 1998 with about 3,000 hrs parked it about 6 yrs ago with about 20,hrs hyd pump started leaking out of the input seal in the next couple of weeks after that bought another link belt at auction then the case 9030 at another auction so I am using the first one for parts the biggest problem with them is the alternator has a 12volt circuit to run the swing brake they are bad about going out then the swing brake drags. The 9030 I'am using pulverizers on it . stye are good old machines but we don't use them every day or for production work a man can't have top many HOE'S ... track that is once you get into double digits the wife can't keep count of them
y'all posted while I was typing . . I built the guarding while I was waiting on the attachments. It's a main pin thumb with a wedge style manual coupler with a lifting eye i've been running that style of coupler for about 15 yrs this is the first one with a lifting eye it was my only complaint was no coupler lifting eye I had a pin grabber 20 yrs ago hated the loss of break out force.can change buckets in about five minutes or less . So far craig is the best attachment people that I have ever dealt with like I said they called me after they had done been paid and told me about the medium stick. the non link was cheaper. they make their own cylinders they wanted to know what I was going to be doing with it and if they could let the thumb sit off the stick a little further when folded up that would let them mount a longer cyld. so it give me almost the radius of a progressive link thumb and they made it heavier because of the conditions that we use it in
I am impressed. I thought that was a guard package you bought not built. I really like the idea of the flat bars under the catwalks. I saw where a guy had built striker bars out of 4 inch tube to keep the concrete from riding up on the tracks and thought hat was a good idea as well.
My mistake. Pic got a little blurry when I zoomed in. Do you use the swing brake often? I have to be honest, never is how much I use mine. But I suppose when you get out and throw the cancel lever up, it engages the brake. If you'd happen to be on a slope, the hoe would drift if you were to permanently disable the brake.
When the alternator is acting up it never releases when you are swinging it will just drag. They did have a free swing switch on them that would not apply the brake when you stopped swinging and it would drift heavy end down hill but all it done was leave the electrical circuit charged so when the alternator is acting up it does not work . but it is a nice option when you are swinging a lifted load it will just drift to a stop or pulling on something it will find it's center and not side load the boom or swing gear.
I'm sorry if I'm asking so many ?s but I just like to be well informed. How is that 350 on fuel? My 210 runs so cheap it's almost unbelievable.
to be honest I haven't done the numbers on it. it was about 3/4 tank wed morning ran it all day till about lunch friday almost filled it up on site fuel van ran out .then ran it all day yesterday still had almost half a tank thats in A mode and H mode but in that concrete you have to take your time and finesse kinda pick at it it does no good to run it in SP mode or you will tear up all hell. the 2800's would normally run 2 days on a tank unless you was ball's out for 12+hrs top loading trucks. I looked at the new cat hybrid my cousin's had the first one that came to town because they have a regular 336 and top load ATD's all day they swear that it used at least 25% less fuel . but i never have run one I couldn't get over that big back end. I just don't see how it could save that much in just the swing you wouldn't think that the swing would even be 25% of the energy consumption
I've seen stuff on the new Komatsu with that electric swing? You know when you think about it, when you're trenching or ditch cleaning like I do, I could believe that swinging is close to 50% of your operation? I guess with a little imagination I might go along with it. I know one thing, the noise level of the machine has to be even less than they already are.
I've operated one of the komatsu hybrids. Nice machines but it felt slow and under powered when in hard digging when you hit the power boost it made it feel like it should. But it did sip the fuel. It did the job but compared to other machines it felt sluggish under loads.
Yeah in something like ditch cleaning or picking and sorting where it's not hard digging I could see the main load being on the swing. I haven't studied komatsu's much but I don't know about putting another complete system on a machine.what I like about cat's system is in 10,-15, hrs if it starts giving trouble you can just remove it and run machine as normal it's nothing but a hydraulic accumulator with a couple of valves . I think we will bee seeing more of that type in more applications where you can recover wasted hyd energy in a accumulator . Sennabogen had something like that on the big material handler at con expo on the boom down /lift.