Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Louisville LNT8000 Tipper. which hydraulic fluid?

Nick009 ยท 2012-08-19 23:36

Hi I have recently bought a 1980 LNT 8000. The hydraulic reservoir is quite large but it is not very full. perhaps only 3 or 4 inches full, and if it was completely full it would be about 12" I'm not sure which hydraulic oil to put it there. I think I should probably drain the existing fluid so I don't mix oils. Does that sound right? Cheer, Nick

Replies12
  1. #1Plant Fitter2012-08-20 07:17

    Mobil DTE 26 would work fine, but if you have other machines you might be able to use the same hydraulic oil that you have for them, just so you don't need to have so many different oils laying around. Engine oil would work alright as well. Good idea to change the oil, then you know what you are dealing with. Are you checking the level with the tipper up or down? If you can't get to the tank when the tipper is down and can only check it when it is up, you should only have a few inches in the bottom, so that when the tipper comes down and all the oil from the hoist comes back into the tank there is space for it to fit. If you can get to the tank with the tipper down, fill it up to within a few inches from the top, raise the tipper up and re-check to make sure there is still a few inches of oil in there. Remember to put some blocks or stands under the tipper body if you get underneath it while it is raised up, for safety.

  2. #2Nick0092012-08-20 09:23

    Thanks again Plant Fitter. I have a toyota 4sdk8 bobcat. The guy I bought it from told me he uses 10 weight in that. I assume that would be ok for the hoist? Now that you mention it I did check it with the hoist up. Far out there are so many traps for younger players in this game. I put it up so I could get to it easier but I might be able to get to it with it down, I will have to check it out in the daylight. If I drain the tank do I need to worry about any oil left in the hoist or the hoses? Is there any sort of bleeding procedure I need to worry about? Is there a filter that needs changing? Cheers!

  3. #3Plant Fitter2012-08-20 18:07

    If you can drain it with the hoist down, you will get a lot more oil out of the system. But only do this if you can fill the tank again with it still down. Otherwise if you cant fill it up, then you won't be able to raise it up again. Don't worry about the oil left in the hoses. Unlikely that it will have a filter, but follow along all the hoses and you will easily find it if there is one. Should prime itself. 10 weight seems a little light to me. You may be better off using engine oil in the truck hydraulics. See if you get any other opinions from other forum users.

  4. #4Nick0092012-08-20 19:11

    Ok sounds good. Both the truck and the bobcat take 15W-40 and the bobcat has that in the chain cases too so there will be plenty of that around. Thanks again!

  5. #5Dualie2012-08-21 02:31

    In a dump hoist you can dump damn near anything in it. Any hyd fluid will work.

  6. #6Nick0092012-08-21 10:51

    Excellent, someone else recommended Castrol AWS68 to me today. I'm pretty sure I will be able to refill it with the hoist down. Do I need to clean my oil pump between fluids? say if I fill my hydraulic tank then want to change my gearbox oil? should I run some diesel through it or something?

  7. #7Plant Fitter2012-08-22 05:59

    The easiest way to clean out an oil pump, is pull it out of the drum, pump it a few times in mid air to get some of the oil out of it, wipe off the oil from the outside with a rag, feel under the bottom of the suction tube with your finger and push in the ball which will drain out most of the oil that is inside the pump, put it in the new drum, pump it a few times onto the ground to get the other oil out of it, and then you are good to go. I wouldn't bother flushing diesel through, as then you still have to pump a bit of oil through to get the diesel out. The best way is to have a pump for each different grade of oil that you have then you don't have to bother with this. Apart from making a mess you probably waste a litre of oil each time you swap drums, so you soon cover the cost of a pump for each drum. This is another reason to try and use the same oils in as many places as possible.

  8. #8lumberjack2012-08-22 07:28

    Why on earth would you pull the pump anyways? It's a gear pump, right? It isn't that picky on its oil. Why not use hydraulic oil in the hydraulic system? It's cheaper than engine oil and is made just for hydraulic systems. AW32/46/68 your choice.

  9. #9Plant Fitter2012-08-22 07:43

    I took it to mean that he was talking about the pump that he has in the drum of oil. Cleaning it before putting it in a different oil drum. Are you talking about the hydraulic pump on the truck? I don't think he was talking about that. But I may be wrong.

  10. #10lumberjack2012-08-22 08:16

    I was thinking about the truck pump, but he very well may have been talking about a transfer pump.

  11. #11Nick0092012-08-22 09:46

    yeah sorry if I'm not as clear as I should be. It's my first truck so a lot of this is new and I still learning the lingo. I did meaning a drum pump. thanks for your thorough and detailed procedure. I've already been thinking about getting a second pump because the hose on mine is a bit short, I have to stand one drum on top of the other so it reaches the oil filler. Also, would a solid piece of 4x2 jarrah be alright to support the tipper body if I need to work under there?

  12. #12Plant Fitter2012-08-22 17:49

    I'd go for something a bit heavier than that.