Here's the difference in Low and High Profile Caterpillar grader cabs. 225mm or 8.9" These dimensions I can verify for the Cat 14H and 16H graders. I assume the same, for the other models also. Tried to find identical views for the high and low, but ....... . Took what I could find. Look at the windows for comparison. Both machines are the Cat 14H model.
here are a few other comparisons (16G's) High Profile Cab Low Profile Cab
I really like the looks of the low profile cabs. It just looks like they would have more grunt or something. Weird I know. I've never operated a grader with a low profile cab before. What are the advantages/disadvantages?
i think it all comes down to how you operate and grader. if you prefer to stand up or need to stand up the High Profile Cab is for you. if you prefer to sit down the Low Profile Cab is the way to go.
The low profile cabs are more comfortable in the summer, since the air conditioner is capable of keeping the fewer cubic inches inside the cab cooler. When it's 100 degrees outside, the low profile cab is much more comfortable to operate than a high profile.
Operating standing up in THOSE cabs. Hi, 9420pullpan. Take my word for it, it doesn't matter whether it's a high or low profile cab, ANY Cat grader from the 'G' series on is uncomfortable to operate standing up, cab height regardless. As I understand it, part of the logic behind designing those cabs and that control layout thataway was to encourage operators to SIT DOWN on the job. Don't believe me? Try it for yourself sometime.
That makes sense..thanks. Also be warmer in the winter. I realize that in a low profile cab standing up would be difficult. Wouldn't matter to me anyway because I don't stand up. Never did. Wasn't there a thread about that somewhere?
Bottom Line the High Profile Cab was designed for the operator who prefers to stand up!
How bout the M series, are hi and short cabs an option or are they all short cabs?
Designed purpose. Hi, 9420pullpan. Maybe they did make the hi-profile cab for operators who liked to stand up but, IF that was the reason, they sure didn't make the control layout very user-friendly for a stand-up operator. In fact, I'd go so far as to say that they made it downright awkward to operate those controls standing up. Further, I'd suggest that they made it a whole lot easier to operate sitting than standing - - - - and that there was some faint sign of method in their 'madness'. It's a long way safer to operate sitting down. Just my 0.02.
Sometimes old ideas just die hard. Twenty years ago you had to order a short cab. New graders sitting on dealer lots almost always had tall cabs. Short cabs freaked out some oldtime operators. I've not saw an M model with a tall cab, but you might be able to order one that way. Not sure why you would other than to satisfy one of those operators that just can't seem to move forward. This perfectly human resistance to change is in effect today with joystick/computerized controls. Twenty years from now we'll talk about a grader with lever controls like we talk about tall cabs now.
I was thinking the same thing G4M. Look at the pics of the 16's and although they are pretty much identical the low pro cab looks much "bigger and tougher". Likewise, I have never ran a low pro cab. Trbo
I think everyone has a right to their own opinion. I gave mine. Give me another reason why they would make a High Profile Cab!
Hi or lo cabs Hi, 9420pullpan. You have given your opinion and you have very right to it - and I would defend that right. I sincerely hope that you will respect my right to disagree with your opinion. It seems that my invitation to sit on the consultative committee that developed the design criteria for the original Cat 'G' series graders went astray somewhere as I didn't know it was happening until they actually hit the market. Be that as it may, I have been told by several different people who worked in Cat dealerships, in one case at a pretty high level, that one of the design criteria was to come up with a cabin and control arrangement that would be extremely user-friendly while at the same time making it somewhere between very difficult and impossible to operate standing up. For mine, they done good - even without me. LOL. OVRSZD, don't hold your breath waiting for a high profile M series cab. Anybody who tries to operate one of them standing up for any great length of time is gonna have a slight health problem in the general region of their lower spine. And probably already has one between their ears. Just my 0.02.
M series graders only offer one cab height, in between the old high and low profile cabs. Also there is a pressure switch in the seat that shuts off the contols when not in the seat.
In my limited time operating an M series I would totally agree with your statement. It would be a treat to watch though huh!!!
We only got high cabs on our Volvo's. I like the extra space, more air around your head. Big storage compartements under the roof in front of you. And the stereo and CB/VHF don't disturb the sight out on the sides.(they are up under the roof) Same goes with the mirrors, they are more away, in a sort of. Of course it is a bigger volume of air to cool/heat, but i haven't heard that the hvac has any problem with that... Seems it just improves the sight out of the grader..Bigger windows and less in the way of sight.
My buddy Steve, who ran a 140H and now a 140M, also ran our Deere 770CH for a while. Both cabs were short versions, the Deere cab was a lot smaller than the Cat cab. Steve mentioned that he didn't like that. He was used to the spacious feeling that you are talking about. Our Deere 770D model has a large cab, similar to the H model Cat. I like it better too. Feels more spacious and comfortable. As to short cabs, I've been in positions where I couldn't see out the top part of the windshield at whatever I'm trying to look at without leaning forward and ducking my head. A tall cab wouldn't have that problem. On the other side of that coin, I would think the sun would bear down on you harder in a tall cab. Our D model Deere has a fiberglass top on the cab that protrudes out over the windows to provide a little shade. For me, my roads have brush problems and I would be banging a tall cab off tree limbs too much
Cat. 12G with Dutch Hich Profile Cap Hello Nothart , I have some pic,s from my old 12G with a Dutch Hich Profle Cap .
You can't operate the 14M graders standing up : as soon as you get off the seat, the hydraulic functions are disabled.....Ans the way the cab liner is designed, it make it near impossible for a tall guys to stand up.
G'day & Happy New Year to you All, I find the low rops cab has two benefits. The first benefit is the height on a low loader truck. The second benefit is the lower roof line keeps the operator more shaded from the sun. My opinion is the low rops cab looks better. Regards WILDCAT Keep it under the red and the tolerances tight
Cab Height ? Hello Wildcat, Finally someone mentions a reason for the difference in cab heights. The transport issue (overhead clearance) on lowboys. For those involved in frequent moves in town. The low profiles are easier to heat and cool. The low profiles are great in commercial work, example inside buildings, or alongside walls , with stairwell and other overhead projections (pipelines, conveyors) . The High profile cabs are great for construction work, where visibility is needed doing slope work, cutting high banks , ditch work, working with hauling units on differing or adverse grades,especially roads. Keeping track of people, vehicles , on congested sites. There are pro and cons . Costs ??? I don't know, but that I prefer the High Profile Cab my self . Alberta , 14M cab height , I found I was able to stand up without any problem . 6' + tall. Super Roel , Looks like you guys have another version of cabs, no ROPS ?? Sure can't see it from the picture.
Dutch cab. Northart ,the reason for this cab is 12.5 thousand dollar cheaper than the original from Cat , but this one is noisyer and hotter in summer .
Taking a second look at the picture it doesn't look like it has roll over protection, or at least the type I'm used to seeing.
Dutch hich profile cab and Russian cab . Hello Grader4me , This cab have no roll over protetion , u cant see that on the price u most pay - 12.5 thousand cheeper in place of the Cat Cab , i post a pic of the insideof the cab , and a post a pic of a Russian Caterpillar with a hich proflie cab .Can u please tel me wath kind of grader is the avator of u .
Hello Super Roel, it's a 1938 Volvo. Check out the link below for more info. Scroll down to post 8 & 9
Bolinder Munktells grader . Tanks Grader4me . I wil post a pic from a Munktels grader from 1924 as a antsister from the grader on your avatar , Munktells and Bolinder comes togeter and later it wil be Volvo BM , after that Volvo buy Champion Canada .
I think you would have a really difficult time operating a M model standing up.
I am looking for a finish blade hand to run my 9K Cat. Pay is a bowl of home made soup for lunch and a new pair of gloves! Deas, I still need to get pictures of my 70D I promised you last spring! My father bought this one 39 years ago. It has a Corp of Engineers plaque on it from when it was new in 1942.
Cat 12-9K Hello Cletus, The Cat 12-9K grader was built from 1938-'45, 75 hp, weighs 21,500# . I usually work for a Hamburger and a 6 pack, no less. If the job is longer or difficult, then it might become a steak dinner. LOL If I'm overpriced , then call Fred P. Turcott in Stering Landing. He might work for Tea ??? LOL
HBM grader with hich and low profile cab . Hello Northart , I have some pic,s from a brandnew type grader from HBM with a low profile cab and a few with a hich profile cab . The new one is a BG 130 TA 4 and the other is a BG 160 TA 4 . The 130 have 147 HP , and the 160 have 162 HP