Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Low oil pressure warning on JD 310D

lobo ยท 2011-02-23 22:07

Warning lite and beeper came on today. I parked it right away. Oil level is good and oil and filter are have been changed recently. Could it be anything other than bad pump? I am not looking forward to pulling off oil pan.

Replies10
  1. #1smittysrepair2011-02-23 23:15

    There are several things it could be. To begin with if it where me I would check the actual oil pressure with a good mechanical gauge first. You never know you may get lucky and have a bad sending unit. Be careful though and don't spend a lot of time running the engine while you are testing it. I usually disable the engine to where it can not start and spin it over using the starter. If everything is good it will show some oil pressure on a good gauge. Plus this method is a lot less damaging to the engine then starting it up and checking it out if it does have a pump failure.

  2. #2norite2011-02-24 01:48

    I had a 310 do the same thing once. The light came on, I shut down right away. Checked the oil and it was full on the dipstick. Checked with a gauge and there really was no oil pressure. Dropped the pan and the shaft that drives the oil pump was broken. New shaft, pump, and oil change and all was good again. Hopefully yours is just a sending unit failure, post back when you get it figured out.

  3. #3lobo2011-02-24 06:40

    Good advice, I think I have an old mechanical gauge at work. I will plumb it up where the sending unit screws into the engine.

  4. #4smittysrepair2011-02-24 11:17

    Keep us posted on what you figure out. And if it is a componet failure dont forget that we all like photos.

  5. #5lobo2011-02-26 10:53

    Took sending unit to local Napa store and matched one up from pictures. That is the same sending unit GMC cars used back in the 70's and 80's. I still had the special socket it took to remove them. I just hope its calibrated at the same pressure one would be from JD. Anyway low oil lite comes on when key is turned on and goes out as soon as engine starts. Thanks

  6. #6Deon2011-02-26 18:32

    Wow. That's good news.

  7. #7camrolex2011-02-27 08:28

    low oil pressure check hello i still would check oil pressure with a mechanicle gauge to be sure you are reaching the correct pressure cold AND hot never trust a electronic gauge alex

  8. #8Deon2011-02-27 10:42

    I'm like camrolex. Isn't there some place on the motor that one can permanently mount a pressure gauge and also have the light in the cab? That way, one could maybe just open the service door from time to time and glance at the gauge. Maybe put a T coupling in place of the electronic switch and mount the switch to the T and then run a small copper tube to the gauge.

  9. #9lobo2011-02-28 07:12

    Yea but I may as well start putting mechanical gauges on all my equipment. I dont have the time anymore, so much to do. You must be getting pretty old Deon, copper lines have been gone for a long time. Screw a T into block and go with plastic line with compresson fittings all the way to cab. I had a 1970 Buick Electra once that I did leave a gauge laying in the engine compartment somewhere. Gauge is the best way to go but I started doing maintenance on the 450G I bought last week. She is going to keep me busy for awhile. Thanks Again Everyone.

  10. #10Deon2011-02-28 17:18

    LOL, Yea, I may be old. Your right. Most tubing seems to be plastic of some sort these days. Now I can dump my flaring tools. And your also right about adding gauges. If it came from the factory with an idiot light and an electric switch then it should be ok for us now. We all have the right to decide what we want.