Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Lower roller replacement question

Columbo · 2022-12-25 16:33

Hi all, my front lower roller (directly behind the idler) has decided to pack it in. I’ve heard that rollers shouldn’t be replaced individually, is there any truth to that? Does it matter which roller is replaced for this “rule” to apply? Also, on the opposite side track I have a squealing noise in forward but not in reverse. The bottom rollers seem ok, all turn with some resistance, which leads me to suspect the top roller. Any other tips to diagnose this before I slack the track off and inspect the top roller? If it matters it’s a Cat 311B, S/N 08GR00401. Thank you!

Replies5
  1. #1Shimmy12022-12-25 16:44

    Obviously replacing the whole row is the best, but the end rollers will always be worn a bit more than the center. If you need it going quickly, I'd measure all of them on the side with the bad one, and move the best one to the failed spot, and put a new one in it's place.

  2. #2Columbo2022-12-25 16:48

    Thanks, Shimmy!

  3. #3uffex2022-12-26 06:13

    Good day You may find the attached of help. Have a good new year. Uffex

  4. #48V712022-12-26 10:40

    We always kept a few spare used rollers around for quick replacements when one failed. Then when it comes time to do the U/C installed new rollers.

  5. #5Mcrafty12022-12-27 05:39

    I have a CAT 307....The only time I have replaced all rollers is when I replaced the complete undercarriage, (which I have only done once) Any other time I only replaced the bad roller(s) and find that it works fine, I have replaced the complete undercarriage once, not long after buying the machine (it's an 1994 model) I purchased it in 2004, at a point some time after (I don't remember the time frame) I replaced the rails and sprockets other than that I only remember replacing 3 rollers over several years. I will add, I use the machine on a daily basis, much more than any other piece I own ( I have two dozers, a wheel loader and a dump truck/ trailer) I am a one pony show so all the other things see much less time working ie: the excavator sees a lot of hours and rollers rarely fail. On another note, always use plenty of never seize on the roller bolts and they will remove quite easily, without that they can be a bit=h to get the bolts out without breaking.