Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

ls170 can’t control throttle

UpNorth Mini Excavating ยท 2020-02-02 05:04

Hi, I have a New Holland ls170 skid steer and lately I have noticed that on first startup, I can't control the idle. It will start and it will idle at almost full throttle. No matter what I do, I cannot control it with the throttle lever. I have to shut the machine off and try again. I usually have to do this 2-3 times and then finally my throttle level will control the engine speed. Any ideas as too what is happening? Thanks, Joey

Replies7
  1. #1thepumpguysc2020-02-02 10:25

    Have u looked at the engine to SEE if the throttle is moving anything?? If it is.. the pump is sticking in full fuel which is odd, they normally stick in the shut off..

  2. #2UpNorth Mini Excavating2020-02-02 12:32

    yes I have and everything seems to be moving. If I shut it off and turn it on a couple of times then it snaps out of it. The throttle will work fine again. QUOTE="thepumpguysc, post: 862443, member: 15159"]Have u looked at the engine to SEE if the throttle is moving anything?? If it is.. the pump is sticking in full fuel which is odd, they normally stick in the shut off..[/QUOTE]

  3. #3thepumpguysc2020-02-02 13:26

    Look at the shut off solenoid.. the rod may be bent & catching the control rack on the inj. pump.. Have u had the inj. pump off.?? IF YES, is it possible it was attempted to be removed w/o FIRST removing the solenoid.?? The solenoid is usually to the left hand side of the inj. pump.. it screws in.. & has 1 wire.. Once out, try to reach in w/ your finger & move the control rack.. it should move very free, back & forth.. IF its sticking or stuck & takes some force to move it.. thats the problem.. U can check the solenoid by hooking it up to a "jump box".. RED on the post & BLACK to the body.. Let us know how u make out.. Hope this helps..

  4. #4UpNorth Mini Excavating2020-02-04 03:10

    I looked at the rod while moving the throttle and everything seems to move freely. I will have to look into this closer. My injection pump has never been removed. Now as far as checking to see if the control rack is moving freely, if the rack is stuck or sticking, what would be the fix? Thanks for all the assistance.

  5. #5thepumpguysc2020-02-04 05:19

    I assume u looked to see if the rod was bent..?? Sometimes they will fill w/ engine oil & not work properly.. was it full of oil.?? Anyway, the fix for a sticking rack will be>> sometimes if u can grab it & work it back & forth a few times, you'll feel it free-up.. Other than that, its a pump removal,,take apart & clean the gunk out of it.. {send it off}

  6. #6UpNorth Mini Excavating2020-02-05 03:12

    Yes I did look and haven't noticed anything bent. Now where is the best place to see/feel for the rack? Thanks

  7. #7thepumpguysc2020-02-05 07:06

    Unless theres a cover plate on the side of the engine block, infront of the inj. pump.. its sealed.. The only access is the shut off sol. hole.. Just use your finger or a screwdriver or pick to feel the rack move.. You'll know pretty quick if its sticking..