Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Ls170 electrical problems

mikenofx2000 ยท 2012-10-24 15:59

I have a 2001 New Holland Ls170 that ive owned for years but besides for routine maintenance ive never had a problem with the machine. I was driving slowly scraping weeds with the bucket on flat ground and all of the sudden the engine starts to slow and shuts off and then the annoying beep stays on but there are no lights on the cluster above my head. The beeping will stay on no matter which way you turn the key left or right and you dont get any lights either way. Any help would be appreciated!!! Thanks, Mike

Replies6
  1. #1durallymax2012-10-24 16:40

    Check the battery cables especially positive. Very common for them to fail. We used to go through one a year between the three we had. Considering how lightly built they seem compared to others, they are pretty tough reliable little machines. Fuel pumps also like to go out on them.

  2. #2mikenofx20002012-10-25 10:28

    Well I fooled around with the machine, made sure battery cables were tight. Flipped the service switch and it fires right up but the beeping doesn't stop and I still have no lights on the dash. I'm guessing it may have something to do with the seatbelt/seat pressure harness? I checked all connections everything looks fine, found no loose wires. I don't have a book and I'm on a job and at the mercy of my machine haha. Anyone tell me how to check the seat switch and the seatbelt switch or even how to bypass them ? Thanks again, Mike

  3. #3durallymax2012-10-25 17:56

    Do you have access to another machine? Good relationship with the dealer? Reason I ask is because the panels are known to fail and cause those issues. Make sure there is power going to the dash panel first and if there is try swapping one in from another unit. The reason it runs in the service position is due to it bypassing the safety sensors which are linked through the panel. If that doesn't fix it I would take the fenders off the sides, get the boom in the air, pull the panels off the rear, flip the seat up or pull it out, look for rub through spots, then wash it up and inspect the harness closer. If you don't find anything obvious then start chasing wires. Power Probe III will make this easier. I may sound like a rolling billboard for them lately, I don't mean to. Only product I know of its type currently and I really just want you to eliminate headaches of chasing wires.

  4. #4mikenofx20002012-10-30 20:08

    I bought the power probe 3 what a difference it made. I figured out within ten minutes it was in the panel. The first time i pulled the panel i didnt notice the capacitor fell off the back because it rattled down behind the key panel somehow when i was running it in service mode. Just wanted to say thanks to Durallymax for all the help.

  5. #5durallymax2012-10-31 23:07

    good deal. They come in handy. Been using it lately to start one of our old tractors that I don't have time to track down the starting circuit issue on at this time, just need the thing running. Power probe to starter solenoid, good to go.

  6. #6chaveez2023-04-01 22:29

    On a related note.. I'm having the same problem, and trying to diagnose. Currently checking for power to the cluster, but don't know how to locate pin 14.