I'm about to buy this machine for $19,000. It has 1400 hrs on it and operates well over then the problem. This is my first construction machine. Buying it to maintain my small ranch. Has 72" bucket and set of 48"forks. I test operated it today and noticed that after a few minutes of working it, it will not change into Low range... it's stuck in High range. There is a slight noise that occurs as I push the toggle switch on the pilot stick, almost like it is trying to shift range. Any ideas of the causes of such? A solenoid/switch was my first thought, buy I have zero experience with heavy machines. Please help if you can. The dealer seems clueless about it so far, and I'm waiting to close the deal, because I need it fast. Thought maybe i could give dealer some repair help and learn something too. Thx!
Where was the machine? Sounds just like one I inspected. I'm in CO.
Could be cause by a couple things, #1 would be if the switch has failed closed providing power constantly to the shift solenoid or a short to power in the circuit could also do the same, #2 the 2spd shift solenoid itself, #3 the sequencing valve located in the 2sp/brake manifold also could cause it and lastly but not likely the 2spd shift inner spool spring itself broke located internally inside the drive motor but usually these do not fail in pairs so one side gets stuck in 2spd while other side shifts to low and you can figure out what the result would be. For #1,2 it should be a easy fix and diagnoses. if memory serves if ordering a new sequencing valve it does not come set properly from the factory and must be set or 2 spd wont work. Easy way to eliminate the electrical being a cause is too just unplug the connector on the 2spd shift solenoid see if it shifts back to low. Others will take a set of gauges to diagnose efficiently.
bartelbe pretty much hit the nail on the head. My guess is its likely the 2 speed spool spring on one or both motors. (if one breaks, it can leave both motors in high range) Typical symptom is machine will be stuck in high range, until its shut off and re-started. (operator still has to use high range before it can get stuck in high range) Not sure why the dealer doesn't know about this issue, as there is lots and lots of documentation on it.