Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Lubricant Dyes

1466IH · 2022-06-18 00:27

Does anyone know of any dyes for lubricants? I was working out of town once and saw that they had all of the different oil types color coded. 10wt was blue and 30wt was red etc. I have asked a few different oil suppliers in the area and none of them have heard of this. I know you can get UV dyes for finding leaks but I do not believe this was uv dye and was delivered to their bulk tanks with coloring added at supplier

Replies13
  1. #1Coaldust2022-06-18 04:43

    Readily available. Powder or liquid, from multiple suppliers. Some of my customers speced it.

  2. #2Tyler d4c2022-06-18 09:12

    You can get the red and blue die at your local cat dealer.

  3. #31466IH2022-06-18 22:42

    Do you have any p/n's or any more details I can give to my oil supplier? What all colors are available?

  4. #41466IH2022-06-18 22:43

    Do you know p/n's?

  5. #5Tyler d4c2022-06-18 23:31

    Not off hand but the parts people will know what they are generally have a few behind the counter setting be care with it that stuff can be messy

  6. #6Nige2022-06-19 16:55

    9U-5031 is the Red Dye, 9U-5032 is the Blue. There are only two colours available. Note that these are NOT UV dyes for fuel leak detection, purely an oil colourant so that if there is a leak it gives you an idea of which system is leaking. Last mine I worked at our lube supplier (Shell) added dye to bulk oils before they were delivered to site.

  7. #7Nige2022-06-19 16:57

    I have the evidence on my last pair of work boots...........

  8. #81466IH2022-06-19 18:11

    Thank you Nige. Not looking for anything UV. I do have dye for that. More or less looking for an aid to the operators when topping off machines.

  9. #9Tyler d4c2022-06-19 18:24

    Mine has secondary containment for that reason the stain did finally wear off the shop floor

  10. #10Coaldust2022-06-20 06:45

    That stuff spreads worse than anti-seize. We were dealing with drum dispensers and holy cow, it was messy.

  11. #11Coaldust2022-10-31 01:58

    I meant to post this earlier. This is the product that I used in various colors.

  12. #12Nige2022-10-31 08:09

    That's probably where Cat buy their lubricants dyes..........

  13. #13Coaldust2022-10-31 12:07

    Mark V has a good selection of water-based dyes. I’ve used it for mixing glycol-based heat transfer fluids and windshield washer juice. Mark V is mostly automotive detail & cleaning supplies, but they sell dye.