Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Lubrication question

furukawajake ยท 2014-02-23 15:56

After searching some recent threads and printing a Lubrication chart which tells me to put sae 30 in the final drives of my little cd5 I've drained them to find them filled with gear oil. What should I do? fill as recommended or replace the 90wt? thanks for chiming in jake

Replies5
  1. #1furukawajake2014-02-23 19:56

    Well I managed to get ahold of a friend of mine who is a roadbuilderexcavatorloggertype and he said that while it seems that most manufacturers recommend using motor oil that its common practice to use 90wt that's hopped up with a jug of powerpunch in the finals. so that's what I did.

  2. #2Joeyslushr2014-02-23 20:23

    Call lube Tek and ask them 1 800 lube tek

  3. #3CDUB2014-02-23 22:15

    Nige claims 90wt will cause the duo cone seals to fail prematurely. I use TO-4 spec 50wt.

  4. #4furukawajake2014-02-23 23:06

    Thanks to both of you. I'm thinking that the water diluted what was in there down to about 50w. the seals should be fine I'll use it next time.

  5. #5Nige2014-02-24 10:01

    The EP additives in gear oils have been proven to attack the silicone rubber used in most Duo-Cone seal toric rings. Don't get confused with viscosities between TO-4 and EP gear oils. TO-4 powertrain oils use "motor oil" viscosity classifications, EP oils use "gear oil" ditto. An EP 80/90 oil is equivalent in viscosity to a 20-30 weight "motor oil" depending on temperature. An EP 90/140 oil is equivalent in viscosity to a 50-60 weight "motor oil" depending on temperature.