Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

M11 Cummins

Rooster75 · 2021-04-26 13:54

I’m looking at a KW T800 06 model. It has an M11 in it. I run tri axles & gross around 62-63k. It’s got a 8LL & 4.33 gears. How will this handle a load? My other truck has a 12.7 with 4.11’s behind 9 speed. It pulls very strong. I’m not interested in running fast at all just don’t want to be lacking in HP to get job done.

Replies5
  1. #1funwithfuel2021-04-26 15:26

    M11 was available with 330 up to 400 hp in the ESP+ as far as I remember. It was a good engine, the head gasket was a weak spot, (seepage) the front cover leaking was another common issue. I used to maintain a fleet of navistar with M11 and super10s, they hauled reefers with overweight permits. I had more driveline issues, brakes and tires then engine issues. If they couldn't drag 110k uphill, I'd hear about it.

  2. #2Coaldust2021-04-26 15:57

    Rooster75, I say you can’t go wrong with that set-up. You can pull the mail with a rig like that. I’d been specing the 8LL in the new fuel trucks. Until the company switched to Allison’s.

  3. #3John C.2021-04-26 19:46

    I hated that M11 in equipment. Slobbered more oil than any Detroit I ever worked on. The fiberglass valve cover was the worst. I saw them used in a lot of busses as well. The metro people here didn't care about the leaks as most of the work went to the dealer anyway. Later on I found out that engine was never meant for the duty cycle the wheel loaders and excavators put on them. Pumped up the boost and fuel and you had head gasket and blow by problems. Trucks run maybe 70% duty with a big load on the flat and 90% pulling a long grade. Excavator or wheel loader will pull 80% to 100% all day long.

  4. #4Coaldust2021-04-26 20:03

    Definitely designed as a truck engine.

  5. #5Reel hip2021-05-07 19:07

    I had good luck with mine. It was a 96 330 HP and climbed hills ok with a load. But it was dependable.