Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

M3 CAT MOTOR GRADER

WILDCAT · 2018-07-22 08:52

I would like some information on the M3 CATERPILLAR GRADER 12M3 or 140M3 that will be on sale in Australia soon. I have been told that the AdBlue dose pump lacks longevity and the EGR can give problems and is very expensive to replace. If there are any owner operators of these M3 machines, I would appreciate your opinion. Is there anyone out there that does final trim work with these machines manually by eye? Have they improved the joy stick system? Regards, WILDCAT.

Replies7
  1. #1R.D.G0132018-07-23 06:31

    Done a little bit on an M cant say I would rave about the joysticks, visibility is excellent but only to the front as for final trimming think I would sooner have a good H series, just my thoughts.

  2. #2WILDCAT2018-07-24 23:55

    Thank you R.D.G013. I do agree with you. I have a H series 2006 grader Australian build with over 18,000 hours and eventually I will have to find another unit. Thank you for your thoughts, Cheers, WILDCAT

  3. #3Clarky2018-07-25 07:23

    Hi Wildcat, have you heard when the M3 models will be released in Australia? I also have a 2006 140H and would be keen to wait for them when the time comes to upgrade. Cheers

  4. #4WILDCAT2018-07-25 08:26

    Gday Clarky, I will tell you what I know; that we are skipping the M2 in Australia and going straight to the M3. I have been told that they will be released at the end of this year or the start of 2019. I am not really keen for the M3 though. If you have ever seen one they can't squash anymore under the engine hood and the engine runs Adblu. With all this combined it makes for a very high maintenance machine. I seem to more favour the current M grader because it lacks all this maintenance and technology. I have looked recently at a 12M and I see that it has all the hydraulic upgrades and control upgrades that the M3 has except for EGR and Adblu system. I am really not a fan of the C7 engine that you find in the 12M and the 140M. You've got to go to the 140M AWD or the 160M because they run a C9 which I have been told is a better built engine. Regards, WILDCAT

  5. #5Clarky2018-07-25 16:52

    Thanks for the info Wildcat. I agree the C9 is the better engine and unfortunately with the emissions standards there is not much we can do about all the extras hanging off them. My 140H has just under 10,000 hours on it so I’m in no rush to sell it! Cheers

  6. #6Mother Deuce2018-07-25 18:34

    My favorite part of the M's is that Cat made the cab big enough to get my freakishly long legs out in front of me! I haven't ran a small one just 16's. From a environmental standpoint and spending the work day in it. (that is my environment) I love them.

  7. #7WILDCAT2018-07-25 21:23

    You made a few good points there Clarky, but I agree with you 10,000 hours is very few hours for a machine that is 12 years old. From my point of view there is no money keeping up with machines every couple of years, so when I make a purchase I look at the long term maintenance. Also, Mother Deuce is right, people agree that the M's are a very comfortable machine. Regards, WILDCAT