Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Made in America

Limestone · 2010-01-16 12:39

What excavator's are made right here in America? All heavy equipment really? Would much rather support the american worker

Replies34
  1. #1willie592010-01-16 14:34

    Komatsu excavator mfg plant just about 100 miles from me in Chattanooga TN. They mfg wheel loaders in Newberry SC, and have mfg plants in Peoria Ill and Quebec Canada. Parts distribution hub in Ripley TN.

  2. #2John C.2010-01-16 14:45

    The Komatsu plants are for assembly only. The components are just about all made over seas. The designs are all from Japan. This was done as a hedge against possible tarriffs on imported iron. As I recall it mostly goes the same for Kobelco. As I recall the Deere Hitachi is also the same. The unfortunate part is that there are no US designed and manufactured excavators anymore. I supposed Bobcat might be thought of as built here but I have heard they are rebranded from something else. As I saw in the paper this mourning in an OP/ED piece. We have forsaken our manufacturing capabilities to cheap labor foreign competition and tried to keep our economy going on houses for speculation instead of shelter and pieces of paper in a shell game.

  3. #3willie592010-01-16 14:54

    Wasn't implying Komatsu was a solely American made product without overseas influence, I don't know that such a thing even exists anymore. True "made in America" is a rare thing nowdays. Bobcat and Ingersoll Construction Equipment is now owned by Doosan.

  4. #4CM19952010-01-16 18:18

    They may not be totally sourced here but I have seen Cat 330 undercarriages and booms being laser cut and welded and complete new excavators rolling off the line in Peoria. That was a couple of years ago, I assume they still make a few models there.

  5. #5Greg2010-01-16 18:39

    I was in Aurora, Ill just a year ago. Cat builds excavators of all sizes as well as wheel loaders there. Frames,booms etc. and the like are fabricated there, engines and hydraulics come from sister plants as does the undercarriage.

  6. #6farm_boy2010-01-16 19:19

    Not true for either Kobelco or Deere-Hitachi (at least for 120 - 350). Kobelco's are manufactured in Calhoun GA and the 120 thru 350 Deere's and Hitachi's are manufactured in Kernersville NC. Design for both have roots both here in the states as well as in Japan.

  7. #7CM19952010-01-16 19:22

    Greg your right, it was Aurora not Peoria. I went to the TT plant in Peoria, saw 6's through 11's being built. If I remember correctly , the smallest excavator made at the time was the 325 there. I believe the 320 and down Cat's are made in Japan. I don't know about the 322's. Of course they are numbered different now.

  8. #8dynahoescott2010-01-16 23:07

    Hi gentlemen, I believe the only excavator truly us built and sourced are the gradalls actually. It is a sad commentary on our situation, with no manufacturing base the future is highly in question

  9. #9CM19952010-01-16 23:40

    Well if you take a purist form, then no we do not make all of it in the US. At the Cat plants in Aurora, Peoria and else where in the US, they take plate steel and make booms, buckets, blades, frames etc. To me that is manufacturing. True there are alot of components manufactured in other countries but to say we have no manufacturing base is an exaggeration. We live in a Global society, like it or not, it's just the way it is. Hyundai cars are made in Montgomery AL, Mercedes SUV's are made in Vance AL. Komatsu excavators are made in Tennessee, Sany and Kobelco excavators are made in Georgia. They may not be all sourced from within the US borders but the finished product rolls off the line here. I see Mercedes SUV's in other countries and get a chuckle, knowing they are made in a little town in Alabama.

  10. #10John C.2010-01-17 02:07

    The point gentlemen is that the real money for all this goes to the home countries. The engineers are in the home country. The banks that finance this are in the home country. Some of the most original ideas I've seen to have come out in the last twenty years are Japanese and maybe Swedish. The people that really profit from this are in the home countries. They build some machines here only to preclude us from taxing them coming over the border. Where are the bright ideas that have a chance on commercial success? What was the last successful machine you have used that was totally financed, designed and built here? A D8 Cat maybe. Early Link-Belt excavators maybe. Possibly a Timbco feller buncher, Drott excavators. The last big crane company that is global is Manitowoc. All the rest have been swallowed by multinationals. As far as Cat excavators being manufactured in Illinois you should take a look at who made the pumps, motors, control valves and electronics. You won't find any American names there.

  11. #11joispoi2010-01-17 06:07

    I don't think there's a manufacturer that builds/assembles all their machines in the same country anymore. Take it on a case by case basis. What size machine are you looking for? Check the tag on the machine to see where it was built if you're looking at used. Ask your dealer where the machine is built if you're buying new.

  12. #12Limestone2010-01-17 11:48

    Well assembly is part of the process I guess just wanna try and support people who might use us in the future. I would take a product that is assembled here over one that comes from china or some other 4th world nation. At least it put some money on someones table here

  13. #13dynahoescott2010-01-17 15:22

    John C. had a good point about ideas being brought forth from this great nation of ours, I for one cant figure out why I virtually cant buy a diesel vehicle here when they are proliferant overseas, I honestly believe its because the uneducated or IGNORANT people in marketing roles that either refuse or dont realize that a diesel engine is much more efficient for automtive use. It gets me very mad when I see them pushing these (hybrid- gas? - electric ) when my wifes car gets better mileage and performance from a small 4 cyl. diesel with a turbo. if it works here for vw why cant domestic manufacturers do it? I am sick of waiting for a diesel powered jeep.

  14. #14stock2010-01-17 16:00

    Most companies are now global and only manufacture parts where it is cheapest they then assemble where they can dodge the import duties in a particular trade block.Now as for diesel only with in recent times has diesel usage overtaken petrol as the most used fuel,but and it is a big but globally we cannot manufacture enough diesel to meet the peak demands and no one wants to invest in new refineries to do so.Hybrids are recovering energy to help reduce emissions and fuelling costs.I believe that to operate in London now one has to have a particulate filter and a additive system for adblue http://www.adbluenews.co.uk/

  15. #15watglen2010-01-17 16:27

    I know jcb has a big plant in atlanta? Pass it on my way to Florida. I wonder if tamrock is still in quelph ontario?

  16. #16CM19952010-01-17 21:29

    The problem is not with marketing but with our emissions standards. Most of the small diesels meet the "tailpipe" standards but a majority do not meet the cold start standards. Which means, upon start-up they emit, albeit for a few seconds, above the allowable level of pollutants. It gets back to the rules for the new diesel particulate filters and such, how is burning more fuel (in the form of lower MPG) better for the environment? I wish we could buy a diesel Toyota Hilux in the states. Ford, Toyota, Mitsubishi, Nissan, etc make diesels for their cars and trucks for overseas markets.

  17. #17stock2010-01-18 02:56

    Ford Focus A buddy of mine has one of these and swears he gets 70 mpg out of it

  18. #18CM19952010-01-18 10:14

    In reality Cat, Komatsu, Deere, Volvo, CNH, Etc are all publicly traded companies. Anyone can own a piece of these companies if they wish. The profits are spread around the world to shareholders, thus truly making this a global market.

  19. #19BSAA65LB2010-01-18 11:28

    GRADALL hydraulic excavators are still owned by an American based company, designed in the US, and manufactured/assembled in the US. Unfortunately, some of the major components (engines, hydraulic valves/pumps, and final drives) are manufactured offshore. But there are no domestic sources for some of the high end components...

  20. #20John C.2010-01-18 20:21

    The last I checked Komatsu was a privately held company in Japan. Komatsu Americas Corp. was closely held by Komatsu Japan. Case/New Holland is owned by Fiat but I think is publicly owned. Komatsu, Hitachi, Mitsubishi and Sumitomo are funded by the Sumitomo Bank in Japan. I don't recall seeing Volvo on any of the US markets. My real point is that at this time in history almost nothing new is coming out of this country. Boeing outsourced most of its production for the 787. There is some medical equipment going out but look again at the machine tool industry. Is there more than five manufacturers left in this country? How about measuring tools. Lasar and GPS systems seem to be doing well. Most all that is any good comes from overseas. Software you might ask. Microsoft farmed out a huge portion of the Windows 7 operating system to India for development. They are bringing people from India here to do programming at half of what they pay US citizens. If you want to buy any "Made in America" iron, you better do your home work. Most likely you will be funding someone else overseas.

  21. #21td25c2010-01-18 21:20

    If you want to buy an excavator or dozer that is "all American".Need go back about 25 years and buy used equipment.Not much totaly produced equipment in any country now day's.It's Global now.But it's all about economic cycles,we will make equipment again and call it "American made" in the near future.

  22. #22CM19952010-01-18 21:42

    Current stock prices- Komatsu CNH Volvo Mitsubishi Financial Group Hitachi Sumitomo I do agree that finding iron 100% American made is like finding a needle in a haystack. It's just the global market we live in now. We just have to adapt, however that may be.

  23. #23tootalltimmy2010-01-18 21:48

    " The Nation’s international trade deficit increased to $36.4 billion in November from $33.2 billion (revised) in October, as imports increased more than exports." US Census Bureau This might have something to do with it. Made in Canada is getting very scarce as well.

  24. #24Bigstevex42010-01-19 17:01

    made in america is long gone. its funny even harely guys still believe that there 100% american made resealed the fork tubes on my 12 year old road king got shoi stamped on them.

  25. #25Greg2010-01-19 17:02

    Bunch of things here. First CM 1995. The units you are talking about are only assembled here, not built here. Pretty much all of the off shore automotive models assembled here come from off shore manufactured parts. John C. you hit it right on the nose. All of the profit from Komatsu, Kobelco, Hitachi, Honda, Toyato, and all of the others goes right to the bank in the home country. THe bright ideas that have a chance of commerical success in this country go off shore because of taxes and government regulation. It is impossible to build an oil refinery, power plant, steel mill, foundry and the like in this country because of regulation, regulation, regulation. At the most local level this is also true. My local county is giving me fits about a new shop which I need badly. They could care less if I get it or not. Many at that level don't want to see any kind of business at all no matter what kind it is. Just hug the trees. I say let them starve in the cold and dark. Dynahoescott, as for your diesel engine in a car in this country. Some twenty years ago a General Motors plant manager told me that "at General Motors we build what we want to. Our marketing and advertising departments convenince the people to buy it. This was in reference to a conversation about why I had just purchased a new Volkswagen because it had multiport fuel injection and a 5 speed manual transmission. At that time no one in this country built such a thing. General Motors also single handed set Diesel power in cars back 100 years with their feeble attempt in 1981 with their 350 small block with an injector pump hung on it. Limestone, as for China being a 4th world country you are being generous. Everything that comes our of China no matter if it is tooth paste, dog food, toys, steel, castings or anything else seems to be trash. Every day there is a new recall for something from there it seems. For those of you on here that are old enough to remember, the stuff from Japan after World War II was pretty much junk too. But at its worst the Japanese stuff was still better the the chinese crap at its best. Everything I buy anymore I look at the country of orgin. I avoid chinese everytime I can. I am glad to pay the premium for US made pipe fittings, hand tools, steel and everything else I can get. Unfortunately quite a few times I am stuck with the chinese sh--.

  26. #26Reuben2010-01-19 18:04

    Isnt Leibherr made all in America.......I just dont know for sure........................................................................................... Liebherr Construction Equipment Co. 4100 Chestnut Ave. Newport News, VA, 23605

  27. #27dynahoescott2010-01-19 19:43

    Greg, you sound like a very intellectual man and I greatly admire that. Believe it or not I believe there are few diesels in this country is because of the feminization of our society, diesels are a masculine concept and most of todays youth are brought up to be tree huggers and forbode pride in country as well as being brain washed by the very liberal media. Just my 2 cents worth but very proud of my time in the USMC , I am only 43 but I see the younger generation leaves alot to be learned about honor pride strength and truth. All that being said, I have total respect for our youth that is currently and will serve. gentlemen you have my respect

  28. #28dynahoescott2010-01-19 20:16

    Sorry guys, although that is my honest oppinion, I dont mean to offend anybody, I guess I go off sometime, peace to all .

  29. #29sultan2010-01-19 20:46

    Hello everyone No, Liebherr's are not American. They are German/French, but of course parts come from other places too, probably including the US. There were some American Liebherrs made in the 70s and early eighties though. They were the models 925, 945, and 965. I tried an '81 Liebherr 925 last year; it was an interesting machine, and it didn't appear to have swing brakes. It had a 2 stroke Detroit Diesel that sounded awesome and started quite well. Nothing is entirely made in one country nowadays, but when you buy a brand like Cat, the machine would be more american than say a Komatsu.

  30. #30tripper_1742010-01-19 20:47

    Dyna, I'm with ya on this. I've driven VW diesels for years, virtually trouble free and real cheap on fuel. Drives me nuts hearing about how hybrids are the be-all end-all. I guess the funny thing is that this piece of German engineering is built in Mexico! Seems no country is immune from having their jobs exported.

  31. #31CM19952010-01-19 22:43

    Greg, I have posted prior that finding a 100% American made machine is like finding a needle in a haystack. The Cat machines I am referencing have a lot of structural components laser cut, welded and painted on US soil - I have seen it with my own eyes. Yes there are components made outside the US but to state they are only assembled here (implying that all parts are made overseas and bolted together here) is just not factual. Has anyone else been to the Cat engine casting plant in Mossville, IL or to the track type tractor plant and watched D8 track links stamped out of square stock? Komatsu, CNH, Volvo Mistubishi Financial, Hitachi and Sumitomo are all publicly traded companies like GE or Ford, which means individual shareholders earn dividends . As an example, a person in the UK can own stock in Cat, Komatsu, GM, etc. The profits are distributed amongst it's shareholders, not horded away in some Foreign bank. Cat is the biggest heavy equipment manufacturer in the World, does that mean the money made comes back to a bank vault in the US? No, it is distributed to it's shareholders. However there are some bright spots. Greg you said it was impossible to build a new steel mill, foundry and the like in this country. Here in Alabama they are doing just that. ThyssenKrupp is building a new factory in Mobile, AL. This is a positive step in bringing manufacturing into this country. In Alabama we have assorted manufacturing facilities - Hyundai , Toyota , as mentioned previously Mercedes , Honda and the Boeing Delta IV rocket . Toyota makes V8 engines in Decatur, the first Toyota V8 produced outside Japan. I doubt there is a machine, truck or auto in the market that is 100% made in any country. To say a machine is not manufactured here because a certain % of the parts are made overseas, is like saying you didn't build that parking garage because the cement came from Mexico, the rebar from Korea and the tower crane from Germany.:cool2 This is the global society we live in, not so sure that I like it but it is what it is.

  32. #32willie592010-01-19 23:32

    Well said CM1995, my thoughts exactly. That's the way it is boys, take it...or gripe about it! It's still an American worker "bolting something together". That's a good thing.

  33. #33John C.2010-01-20 01:28

    I'll keep that in mind when I have to work on the next Catsubishi that come across the docks in Seattle.

  34. #34gr792010-01-20 12:31

    So, when bare handling that new extension cord or trouble light remember: Americans are now staying healthier by washing their hands more often per warning instructions printed on imported products that contain lead. Most all corded electrical products now have this warning. I have stopped buying anything with this label. CFL mercury bulbs too.