Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Magnetic bubble level

stars&bars44 ยท 2018-01-13 21:13

I know I've seen those bubble levels on a grader for sale somewhere. I cant find one. Just a magnetic one that's big enough to see from the cab. Anybody use one or know who sells them?

Replies11
  1. #1Lowe.Buuck2018-01-13 21:39

    Slope-Meter: http://www.slopemeter.com/

  2. #2Jonas3022018-01-13 22:27

    Our Cat dealer has the slope meters on hand not magnetic but easy to mount Have used some motorhome levels also not nearly as good but cheap

  3. #3plowking7402018-01-13 23:20

    you mean like this? I bought 6 slopmeters and mounted them to heavy duty magnets. ( been selling them to other operators in the area) I compare the slopemeter to a bubble level to see if it has moved on the brackets and also compare the mounting spot on the machine to make sure they are the same

  4. #4DIYDAVE2018-01-14 07:35

    'Pends on how much $ you wanna spend... http://www.campingworld.com/shoppin...2xzpWn2zTW1fZY51AJfNijo-Sw6od7w4aAi-bEALw_wcB

  5. #5stars&bars442018-01-14 22:13

    I've seen the slope meters. Not a big fan. Although they do the job. And I saw the camper levels and thought about that route. I can picture a silver or gray one with a big bubble in it someone had on a grader or dozer and it was magnetized. Just can't remember where i saw it. That's what I was hoping for, guess I will have to settle for something else. Thanks All.

  6. #6DIYDAVE2018-01-15 06:21

    There's nothing preventing a clever man from drilling a coupla 1/4" holes through the side of a bubble level (either camper or machine level), and inserting a coupla 1/4" super magnets, like these: https://www.apexmagnets.com/1-4-x-1...nboX-oXNjYqcRLbdL-1Lm7PzA9LRqtcgaAk3lEALw_wcB into the level. OR, HF has these, fer about $5.00 https://www.harborfreight.com/dial-gauge-angle-finder-34214.html

  7. #7Tinkerer2018-01-15 07:31

    Velcro may be another mounting option.

  8. #8grandpa2018-01-15 07:41

    Use your smart phone... just download a bubble level and your in business.

  9. #9cuttin edge2018-01-15 08:14

    Are you putting it on a grader or a tractor? I prefer the slopemeter because it uses a ball, not a bubble. The ball does not get bumped around as bad as a bubble. I had one mounted on the windshield of a 730 champion, and it was bang on. If you pulled the string on a road with a 3% crown, it showed 3% on the meter. They put one on the 940, and it's not worth a @#$%. Must be how the cab sits. I don't like one mounted on the moldboard because unless you are running flat, and I mean ahead and back, you get a false reading unless you are running your mb straight and not at angle. I've seen them on the drawbar, but depending on the machine, they are hard to see.

  10. #10Delmer2018-01-15 10:26

    I think it's the size and range that makes it useful, easy to read at a glance. It would be simple enough to make one the way you want if you can't find one, glass tube can be bought and bent, or some higher quality clear plastic, a steel ball, if you want it slower acting, add some antifreeze for dampening. Or make it a hanging pointer like the HF gauge, just with the relevant scale and clear numbers.

  11. #11DonBC2018-01-27 20:23

    A few years ago my wife gave me a small inexpensive level about 1' long that she found at a local hardware store as a stocking stuffer at Christmas. The centre level bubble was pinned at one end and had a scale up to 4 deg. with a clamp to hold it at the setting. It had a couple of magnets on the base to hold the level onto steel pipe or steel studs. It was probably intended for laying drain pipe but I had an Allis D grader that had an angle iron frame for the front window and the magnets would hold it in place. I could set the slope up to 4 deg. for grading and I could flip it around 180 deg. if I needed to slope the other way.