Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Magnetic Detent Solenoid Question

TheOldMan ยท 2012-01-03 14:31

580C Parker loader control valve detent solenoid for return to dig function, w/ solenoid connector plug. Wires came off in my hand. I can see the broken ends up in the plastic connector, and if I could get that apart, I think I could solder onto them. Parts manual indicates 4-40 self tapping screws in each corner of connector, but I can't for the life of me figure out what head the screws have on them. Has anyone had one of these apart?

Replies5
  1. #1alrman2012-01-03 17:13

    Been a long time OldMan, I recall they were some type of tamper proof head. I remember pulling them using side cutters, just pinching them & turning them out. If a real problem grind the heads off & redrill new holes.......

  2. #2GWS2012-01-03 19:30

    They should be regular slotted screws. Mine are.

  3. #3GWS2012-01-03 19:33

    Here is a pic of the screws on mine.

  4. #4TheOldMan2012-01-04 08:16

    GWS - page 317 of the parts manual shows your solenoid, page 318 shows mine. Thanks for the pic, I'd send one of mine, but it got down to 29 last nite, and I've been in Fl too long - I ain't gonna stick my nose out the door til it warms up. I'll work on it then.

  5. #5TheOldMan2012-01-05 16:34

    Weather warmed up very nicely yesterday afternoon, so had the opportunity to pursue the solenoid problem further. The four 4-40 screws that fasten the plug surround are slotted head, but had been well buggered prior to my getting there. I was able to use a hacksaw blade and a pair of dikes to chip away the plastic and break the heads off the four screws. Managed to remove 3 of them, and lost the 4th. Wires coming off the coil are minute! I did manage to salvage item #25. I couldn't tell if 26 & 27 are there or not. Managed to solder on larger wires and heat shrink covers on the joint, and reinstall item #25 w/ 3 screws, sealed w/silicone. Today, I had to come up with a means of strain relief for those two small wires. I came up with a real jury rig, but I think it will work. I'll let it cure til tomorrow, and if it looks good, I'll post pix and a description. Once again, necessity is the mother of invention.