Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Magnets on finals or a type of recycling

laidback01 ยท 2025-03-13 20:37

Hey, this would seem to apply to any make of excavator, and I thought I'd share this idea. I sometimes am given older hard drives to decommission. As often as not, I'll take them to the range, they make good 500 yard targets as they are easy to see and make a wonderful 'clap' when hit. But I've taken to pulling the magnets out of the actual hard drives recently. Mostly they have these tabs you need to grind off to make them useful, but they are really good for fridge magnets. Most of the time, these are only about 1/8" thick neodymium, so they can be pulled by hand, but they work well to stick notes to the refrigerator. well, recently I got 4 magnets out of two hard drives that are just really thick. like 3/16" thick neodymium. So I started playing with them - see what they'd hold, etc. Turns out, when you waved them around in used motor oil from a bad lawnmower, they attract all the metal - with a vengeance. there were little waves in the oil of the metal coming to the magnet! one thought led to another and I ground the tabs and then put two of these on my finals. Now, I'll be changing the oil in these come July, so then I'll know the health of my final drives. Regardless, I've seen magnetic oil pan plugs, and this seems like the next best thing. here's the magnet on my Deere 50ZTS final drive: and here's an image of the magnet taken out of the hard drive - this is a PC component. Now, for those of you who have friends or kids or you are yourself involved in the tech trade - make sure you ask for the magnets out of the actual hard drives - they will be useful as fridge magnets at least! I think they are pretty good at magnetizing the oil drain plug as well. I have one on the bottom of my Izuzu 4LE1 for that machine, but it's muddy and I didn't want to get under there to prove it.

Replies1
  1. #1skyking12025-03-13 22:33

    I have a big box of them floating around somewhere. The disks are also neat for art projects. Without the board and all the parts of the hard drive, it would be exceedingly difficult to get any data off the disks themselves.