Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Major Grading Contractors – East of the Mississippi

fensoncont. ยท 2010-10-26 19:55

Hey guys, I am trying to put together a list of the largest grading contractors east of the Mississippi. I would like to include companies with major earthmoving fleets with major capabilities and who tackle the largest earthwork projects in the region. I am interested to hear what many of you have to say. Please add some companies to my list or comment on the companies I have listed and share information as to who you believe the top dogs are. I would like you to include companies who tackle everything from highways and dams to major coal mine and quarry overburden stripping. Please share some equipment, and numbers such as project value(s) and yearly yardage or project yardage. I understand there can be some debate on who fits this list, but I think it will make for a nice discussion. I would like to narrow my list down to the top 5-10 in this given region. I also posted this on DHS to get some more responses for the people who aren't on both forums. I know I said east of the Mississippi as a general guideline, but I can't help myself but to include McAninch in this list for now!! McAninch Corp - IA Ryan Central Inc - WI T.J. Lambrecht Construction - IL Walsh Construction - IL I wasn't real sure on their earthwork fleet, I know structures is their forte? Crider & Crider Contractors - IN E.S. Wagner Company - OH Beaver Excavating Company - OH Kokosing Construction Company - OH Independence Excavating Inc - OH Bizzack LLC - KY Elmo Greer & Sons LLC - KY Kay & Kay Contracting LLC - KY J.F. Allen Company - WV Kanawha Stone Company - WV Vecellio & Grogan Inc - WV Heeter Construction - WV Trumbull Corp - PA Mashuda Corp - PA Cast & Baker Corp - PA New Enterprise Stone & Lime - PA The H & K Group - PA Wright Bros. Constrution - TN Blacklock & Sons Construction - TN Phillips & Jordan - TN The Lane Construction Corp - CT English Construction - VA

Replies49
  1. #1qball2010-10-26 20:01

    bell,il lake county grading,il lindahl bros,il

  2. #2stumpjumper832010-10-26 20:06

    allen a meyers, worchester, pa part of american infrastructure

  3. #3EGS2010-10-27 12:21

    Ames-Mn They are in MN but they come over to WI sometimes. Mashuda-WI Hoffman-WI They are not as big as they once were. H. James-WI Not all that big, but they do some bigger jobs.

  4. #4Bullpuncher2010-10-27 12:41

    Comanco Environmental, FL At one time they were the largest landfill construction company in the US

  5. #5tdozer2010-10-27 17:08

    James D. Morrissey- Eastern PA. R.E Pierson- NJ Sambol-NJ. George Harms used to be one of the larger NJ contractors but i dont know how big they are now.

  6. #6Buckethead2010-10-27 19:13

    I would add Vollers Excavating, NJ approx 25 Cat 637Ds Haines and Kibblehouse, Pennsylvania

  7. #7D1552010-10-27 20:31

    TAW from Alma, Arkansas but working in the Marcellus in NE PA. They own approximately 235 D6Ts and 90 D8Ts.

  8. #8Lee-online2010-10-27 20:48

    Walsh is a very big company. They have done a lot of big road and bridge jobs and are the general contractor at the PPL holtwood dam expansion project. The dam is a 435 million dollar project.

  9. #9CM19952010-10-27 22:18

    Walsh is a big company. Archer Western, a division of Walsh, is working on the largest DOT bid project in Alabama history - http://blog.al.com/spotnews/2010/07/birmingham_i-65corridor_x_proj.html

  10. #10vtcntrctr2010-10-27 23:04

    Pike, Based in Belmont NH ops in all of northern new england

  11. #11lgammon2010-10-28 01:08

    summers and taylor - tn

  12. #12gmads012010-10-28 22:07

    Walsh is huge. I believe they just bought out TJ Lambrecht as well. Archer Western is finishing up one of the largest light-rail projects in the country here in Dallas.

  13. #13JDMGrading2010-10-28 23:17

    McWhirter Grading, NC They built most of I-485 around charlotte. Blythe Construction, NC Crowder Construction, NC D.H. Griffin Grading & Crushing, NC Wayne Brothers Construction, NC Lanier Grading, NC Hoopaugh Grading, NC Some are'nt the biggest in the country but they've earned it.

  14. #14milling_drum2010-10-29 17:12

    Granite are huge. Coast to Coast. Old Castle Own a number of the afforementioned companies as well.

  15. #15masterwelder2010-10-29 19:55

    LDI- Lancaster Development INC., NY

  16. #16EZ TRBO2010-11-06 08:13

    All three good contractors, and like you said James is not all that big but most likely one of the best rock movers in the region. They did do the largest rock cut in the state(hwy 151 rock cuts between Dickeyville and Platteville were two of the largest). trbo

  17. #17EGS2010-11-06 12:28

    James is good company, but Mashuda is the best rock mover in this state. James did the biggest rock cuts on 151 but Mashuda moved way more rock over all on the 151 projects. I heard we built more 90% of 151 from Fond du lac to the Iowa state line. Some parts they built twice. Mashuda is set up a lot better for rock. They have the only rigid frame trucks(773's), the only 992, their own rock drills, double panned scrapers, biggest fleet of 740's and 385's. It is good to see you back posting TRBO. How has the work been going down in the part of the state?

  18. #18Acivil2010-11-07 19:47

    CW Matthews GA Shaw Group not sure what state (IT Corporation) Joe D Stephens GA does some massive pipe projects (100 mil +) Ajax paving has some pretty big jobs in FL right now, but Im not sure where they are from.

  19. #19Raildudes dad2010-11-07 21:36

    Ajax Paving Industries home office is in Troy MI. Those folks know how to pave. I had one project with them 1.75 miles of 5 / 6 lane concrete. Just stand back and watch them "fly". 20-25 people on the paving crew. No yelling, hollering, hardly any talking. Everyone knows what they have to do and when. They worked from a portable batch plant and every morning after a pour they had all the paperwork, certs, etc in a file folder for us all organized and in order. Didn't have to request anything for our files. Did not have to grind 1 square foot for ride quality. They're a 1st class outfit:thumbsup

  20. #20diggerdave19582010-11-07 23:31

    I agree about Ajax being a 1st Class outfil they did the major expansion at Metro Airport in Detoit with Dan's Excavating. Also what about Kiewit they work in most of the State is the Job is big enough for them ? Elmo Greer out of TN or KY not sure but i have seen them in FL too. In FL there is Hubbard Const.

  21. #21EZ TRBO2010-11-08 23:37

    Hey, didn't mean to make it sound like James was the best...Mashauda is set up way better for it on a size wise, for sure. One of the blasters that was a blaster on every rock cut from madison to iowa just retired last year....lot of experience gone there. I had a guy in town i know ran rock drill on a few of the cuts. Thanks, been a while since i've been on. Its been a steady year, nothing amazing but it has been steady. I have to belive with a great harvest season and good corn prices that the farmers won't shy away from doing some projects either. You all been staying in work? Trbo

  22. #22EGS2010-11-09 20:21

    Did he work for Algruim (not sure on the spelling). They are blasting on a couple of our jobs right now. We did alright this year. I think we moved about 6.5 mil yards this year, which is a little less then half speed.

  23. #23EZ TRBO2010-11-10 19:01

    yes, did for years and when the big split took place with the MP crew he went with them to Northland Explosives. Did you get in on the project down on 78 just outside of Blanchardville? Trbo

  24. #24buckfever2010-11-10 19:11

    how bout J.B. fay PA lots of heavy highway work

  25. #25diggin022010-11-10 21:00

    Fred Weber Const. - STL MO. Heavy Highway Contractor and owns several quarries

  26. #26stretch2010-11-15 17:55

    Manafort Brothers-CT-they're big in demolition and building construction, but they can make dirt fly, too. Tilcon-CT-they've been concentrating more on paving lately, but are still capable of mass grading like at Rentschler Field. Too bad they don't handle the kind of stuff their predecessors Balf and Tomasso did. Cardi Corp.-RI-got a fleet of 740s and 773s that worked on Route 2 next to Foxwoods. Middlesex Corp.-MA-working on a massive cut project on I-93 in southern NH. Borggaard Construction-MA-rigid haulers, scrapers, dozers, you name it, they got it. O&G Industries-CT-they did a lot of grading at Kleen Energy before it blew up, and built several of the large dams in New England. Testa Corp.-MA-another big demo firm that branched into construction. They own several 1250s. McCourt Construction-MA-don't know much about them, but they worked at Logan Airport putting in Runway 14-32. Yonkers Contracting-NY-do a lot of highway work, including rock cuts.

  27. #27NEConstruction2010-11-16 02:43

    As far as Mass contractors go someone mentioned McCourt and I know they have a ton of iron. McCourt Construction did the new runway at logan (250,000 CY of fill, 250,000 CY of excavation, 150,000 tons of asphalt) and has a 50 Million dollar highway widening job and an 80 million dollar highway widening job both on rt 95. They also took all the fill from the Big dig and shaped it into granite links golf course in the Quincy quarries. Something like 13 million tons of excavated material to fill in quarries and cap the landfill that was there.

  28. #28rino14942010-11-16 05:55

    www.goh-inc.com

  29. #29CM19952010-11-16 09:25

    couple more - Saiia CS Beatty - a cool project they did - Barber race track

  30. #30coorecat2012-01-27 16:03

    ST Wooten Corp, Barnhill Contracting,Sanford Contracting

  31. #31DIRTROAD2012-01-27 16:21

    Morgan Corp. Clary Hood Inc. Both in upstate SC

  32. #32coorecat2012-01-27 17:03

    Dirtroad does Morgan Corp drive the bright green trucks and have you ever heard of Funderburk Grading in Monroe NC ?

  33. #33DIRTROAD2012-01-27 18:38

    Yes, Morgan has the bright lime green trucks. They are currently working on the Amazon.com distribution center on John Dodd rd. in Spartanburg, SC. They are moving dirt around the clock. It's been a long time since I've seen that much equipment on one job site. I used to live in Chesterfield, SC just south of Monroe. Funderburk was a very common name in that area. I even went to school with some Funderburks, However; I moved from there in 1986 or 1987 and was only a teenager at the time, so I don't recall the Grading Co.

  34. #34coorecat2012-01-27 20:02

    I thought they were the green trucks, as for Funderburk they were my grading sub on several projects they've grown alot in the last decade.I worked for Dellinger Inc. based in Monroe for 10 years.

  35. #35bigshow2012-01-28 08:22

    P.J. **** and Trumbull Reifenburg, currently on I-86, Chemung, N.Y. Lane LDI, currently in I-86, I-88 interchange, Binhamton, N.Y. Peter Kiewitt graces us with there presence sometimes Cold Spring Construction, currently on I-90 Weedsport, N.Y., I-86 Corning, N.Y., future I-99/15, Presho, N.Y. Chemung Contracting Hull Corporation, not sure if they are still around Belfour-Baty(sp.?) has been into P.A. HRI S.J. Groves and sons used to be from these parts Pooler Enterprises gets an honorable mention for there part in commercial site work, last I knew they had 20ish 27's. That's big in this area.

  36. #36cfresque2012-01-28 09:51

    Fred Smith out of Raleigh

  37. #37Cat IT38H2012-01-28 09:51

    In Northern New England there are several large Construction Companies. Severino Trucking, Candia NH http://www.severinotrucking.com/ Cianbro http://www.cianbro.com/ George R. Cairns & Sons, Inc. Windam NH http://www.gcairnsinc.com/default.htm Shaw Brothers, Gorham Maine http://www.shawbros.com/ A J Coleman Conway NH http://www.ajcoleman.com/ Sargent Corp. Stillwater Maine http://www.sargent-corp.com/ Rifenburg Companies Troy NY. http://www.rifenburg.com/

  38. #38coorecat2012-01-28 23:03

    I forgot about Fred Smith Co cfresque. I would have but down Thompson Grading, Mammoth and Fowler but I heard they all went under.

  39. #39NCSLIM12012-01-29 19:43

    Funderburk went out of business last year. They auctioned everything off including the homeplace and shopyard. Its sad to see a company that had been around the area for so long go under. Coorecat we do some sub work with Dellinger now, how long ago did you work for them?

  40. #40coorecat2012-01-29 22:28

    NCSLIM1, I started with Dellinger as a laborer in 2001 and left them in the end of 2010 as a job superintendent. They were a great company to work for and helped me out a whole lot, Mr. Dellinger and my division head are two of the best people you could ever want to work for.What's the name of the company you work for ?

  41. #41qball2012-01-30 11:44

    Ryan inc from Wisconsin is huge. Bell land from il was big, but went under.

  42. #42buckfever2012-01-31 19:37

    Independent enterprise from ohio. I belive the are also one of the largest crushing companies in the U.S.

  43. #43DayContracting2012-02-02 09:52

    Shirley Contracting-Washington DC Facchina-MD and FL? Corman-MD Faulconer-VA

  44. #44bigshow2012-02-02 13:18

    How many of these outfits have over 200 million annually?

  45. #45cat345bl2012-08-03 19:57

    All Heavy Highway Companies South State Inc. Bridgeton, NJ http://www.southstateinc.com/ J Fletcher Creamer http://www.jfcson.com/index.html James J Anderson Construction Co Inc. Philadelphia, PA (Currently got a 92 Million dollar project with Walsh Construction) http://www.jjaconstruction.com/ Glasgow Inc. Glenside, Pa. http://www.glasgowinc.com/ Greggo & Ferrara Inc. New Castle DE

  46. #46RBMcCloskey2012-08-03 21:03

    Pete Kiewit Sons Co. Omaha

  47. #47637slayer2012-08-04 01:22

    here in wyo anymore the biggest is E.H. Oftedahl

  48. #48building272012-09-08 21:06

    i know this is kinda an old thread but thought i'd add, for eastern pa i would say the HK group, and american infrastructure. as for south jersey, Winzinger at one time they had the most equipment on the east coast, true story!

  49. #49cat345bl2012-09-19 21:07

    Also 2 large companies in south Jersey are JPC Group Inc, and AP Construction. Both where one company at one time.