My old Manitou 1980’s forklift never had good drive was always a bit slow to pick up drive but recently it lost all drive Its a four speed shuttle shift with a torque converter and I believe this 444 skid unit with three cylinder ford engine was also fitted to some Ford backhoes I have done a pump pressure test and this is ok, checked all linkages, checked trans oil level which was fine and have now started to strip the engine down to remove it and the diesel and hydraulic tanks to give access to the shift block, torque converter and clutch plates etc. One question is how do I remove the engine, its bolted to the solid frame at the front end furthest away from the gearbox and this frame stops the engine moving backwards to lift the engine out and leave the box in Do I undo the flex plate bolts from the starter aperture to leave the torque converter in situ when the engine lifts out? Iam wondering if I need to remove tye counterweight and rear frame to make clearance for the engine to move back ? I dont have a manual for the forklift only one for a ford 550 backhoe which has the same skind unit but of course a totally different frame around it Would love to find a manual as that would help a lot Any advice much appreciated
No replies yet.