Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Manually lift Case 480c loader?

AngryGnome · 2021-12-03 22:21

First time in about 8 years it won’t start. I need to lift the loader bucket so I can have better access to the engine. My question is…do I need to bypass the hydraulics to lift it? I’m not sure if there is such a thing. I just didn’t want to lift it and find out I damaged something. Thanks 480c backhoe

Replies11
  1. #1melben2021-12-03 23:36
  2. #2melben2021-12-03 23:42

    Put the loader lever in raise and get something that will handle the weight and lift it. It will go up without problem, when raised get a good heavy piece of angle iron and cut to length between the cylinder gland and the loader frame so the loader cannot drop as the hydraulics will not hold it up once it is raised manually, Be safe, get it securely fastened so it cant slip off what ever you are lifting it with.

  3. #3AngryGnome2021-12-04 08:35

    Thanks. I’ll lift it with a truck crane and block it up with a post. Probably leave it hooked to to the crane. Hopefully it just needs the injectors bled. It’s been about a year since I last started this. I’ve let it sit longer before with no issues so it’s odd it won’t start. I don’t see any kind of electric or mechanical lift pump. It’s got a manual fuel shut off solenoid. I don’t think it’s anything electrical. I hit it with a few whiffs of ether and it would fire. I didn’t try running it on the ether though. I don’t really like use that. I’ll see how it goes.

  4. #4Tinkerer2021-12-04 08:48

    Good fuel flow to the filters ? Maybe there is crap in the fuel tank. There is a drain petcock on it.

  5. #5AngryGnome2021-12-04 17:05

    Yeh I think there might be. I opened those petcocks yesterday and nothing came out of them. I put new filters on and can’t get fuel to the one that sits upside down. I think I might make a cap with a schrader valve on it and put about 5 psi air to the tank and see if it will flow.

  6. #6AngryGnome2021-12-04 20:55

    Is that bowl on the bottom a strainer and just threaded on to the tank somehow. I’m having a problem wrapping my head around that. I don’t understand why there is a drain and then a strainer beside it. It doesn’t really look like it’s got a line running to it. Just a sediment bowl?

  7. #7Tinkerer2021-12-04 22:01

    Water and crap should be concentrated there instead of all over the bottom of the tank. That would result in the fuel being clean going into the shut-off (petcock).

  8. #8melben2021-12-05 09:01

    That bowl is known as a water trap and if nothing comes out of the valve when open you need to find out why, it is not unusual for them to accumulate sediment if not serviced regularly, the valve is shut so it can't hardly plu so I'm bettin there is a buildup in the water trap.

  9. #9melben2021-12-05 09:03

    sorry, messed up posting as usual!

  10. #10stinky642021-12-05 09:45

    Sounds like winter woes to me..There may have been some moisture in the fuel system before freeze-up season preventing the fuel from flowing...Try putting some sort of "tent" over the engine and pointing a torpedo heater at it or some other heat source under said tent, this method has worked for me many times in the past....Also look for a low spot in the fuel supply line where water may have congregated and frozen...

  11. #11AngryGnome2021-12-05 17:48

    Will do. Thanks for the tips guys. I’ll let you know how it goes.