Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Marklift 40RT dies when pressing the deadman pedal

BWILL ยท 2014-11-13 18:09

I am a new member, and I just bought an old Marklift. It has a bad leak in the boom and some throttle fluctuation/problem when you step on the deadman pedal in the basket. First off, I am trying to figure out what machine I have but the previous owner painted over everything. Based on the operating manual I downloaded, I think its either a 40 or a 40RT. Can anyone tell me the difference? It has the 4cyl Wisconsin with dual fuel setup. And it runs nicely on gas (no LP tank). But when you take control in the basket by pressing the pedal, the engine throttles way down and dies about half the time. When it doesn't die, the engine sounds like its under load just from pushing the pedal. I just bought this thing so I don't know what to expect. Should I hear a big change in engine rpms when the pedal is pressed? I've disconnect and capped all the hydrualic lines running thru the boom so that it can run without spilling fluid. It will still drive, turn, and lift the boom. I am not sure if the swing works with the hosed that have been disconnected. Just bought it yesterday so I don't know which hose or fitting was leaking yet. thanks, Brian

Replies1
  1. #1BWILL2014-11-18 22:11

    I put a new battery in and found out that the previous owner had wired the coil directly to the battery so the ignition switch never disconnects power to the coil. So the old battery was toast. With a good battery qnd the coiled wired correctly the throttle adjusts when I step on the pedal in the basket but it doesnt kill the engine. I dont completly understand what the pedal does but it works now.