Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Massey 50A Backhoe Transmission fill level

ray12515 · 2026-04-01 13:21

Hey all, I have a massey 50A backhoe with the instant reverse transmission, it's a 1973 I believe. I'm trying to figure out how full to fill the transmission... My dipstick(to the right of the seat on the floor) has one level. There's also a molded in drain port on the right side of the trans, about halfway up that says "Fill Level". The fill level hole is quite a bit lower than what my dipstick indicates. I know that there was also a gear transmission for this tractor and maybe that level was for that version. It's quite a difference, a few gallons at least between the dipstick "full" and the molded "full". Does anyone else have this tractor?

Replies5
  1. #1Welder Dave2026-04-01 21:54

    The other transmission is a manual shuttle. I'm sure they would have completely different housings. Does the dipstick appear to be original? If so that's what I'd go by unless it leaks from being over filled. I think a little over filled is better than being under filled. I'm sure there are manuals available that would tell the fill amount for the trans. That would be the best way to determine if the dipstick is accurate. Maybe the fill level on the case is the minimum amount?

  2. #2ray125152026-04-03 07:55

    the dipstick appears to be original but it's possible that it's not the right one... I'm leaning towards just filling it to the dipstick mark. Seems crazy that it would be manufactured that way though

  3. #3sled dog2026-04-03 11:22

    Ray, use the plug. That's what my book says.

  4. #4stinky642026-04-04 09:54

    "Who let the dog out?"

  5. #5ray125152026-04-05 12:02

    Ok I was over full, I drained out a couple gallons. We’ll see how it goes, if it runs hot or slips I’ll try the dipstick mark next