Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Massey Ferguson 30E question

spudgun ยท 2022-08-14 15:58

Hi, I have a 1994 Massey Ferguson 30E indutrial tractor with front loader. I'm no expert with tractors but I believe it's the powershuttle model, i.e. torque converter, three manual gears plus reverse, and a small lever on the steering column for forwards, neutral and reverse. It seems very reluctant to go into any gear on the manual gearbox, especially when cold so wondered what might be wrong . The tractor has not been well maintained prior to me owning it. Years ago I had a 50E (very similar) and managed to snap the gear lever as it had the same problem. Is there any electrical wizardry I could do whereby I simply leave it in 2nd gear ( the only one I use) ? The tractor is only used to top up aggregate hoppers approximately 10 mins per day, three days a week. And how do I check the gearbox oil level ? The dash light goes out okay when started. Any help appreciated.

Replies4
  1. #1JBrady2022-08-15 10:23

    I have a ** 30B Industrial, so a little older, but similar. If you can get it in 2nd and are content to just leave it there, I don't know why you would need to do anything electrical. 2nd should be plenty to get going, even on a hill. There should be a dipstick for the transmission on the right side, right around your right ankle when sitting on the seat. If you said it hasn't been maintained very well from previous owner, it is a pretty simple task to drain the oil from the transmission. From there you can take of the inspection covers (one on each side, again, by your ankles) or take off the seat and take off the top cover and have a look. There is a filter in there that should at least be cleaned, if not replaced.

  2. #2Delmer2022-08-15 14:53

    You would simply have to bypass the neutral safety switch to get it to start in gear, and that would be hazardous. Slightly less hazardous would be a bypass of the neutral switch with a momentary push button switch in the same location, so that if it is in gear, you'd have to reach near the shifter to bypass the neutral switch to get it to start. similar to riding lawn mowers that have a switch to hold in order to shift to reverse with blades engaged.

  3. #3spudgun2022-08-15 16:54

    Thanks for the replies. Your safety option sounds good. I am always sat in the tractor when the engine is running and I don't trust the forward/neutral/reverse lever as it is too vague. I guess something is worn or bent in the 'box !!

  4. #4Delmer2022-08-15 22:45

    Do you have a manual? is there an adjustment for the reverser, I think it is.