So I learned the hard way that I need a windshield cover of some sort to protect the windshield on my case 580sk when I tow in on my trailer, behind my dumptruck. 350 bucks later (and not sure how costly one of those little front bottom windows near the peddle are yet) Im here asking the question, what do you guys cover your windshields with while traveling? I was thinking cutting a piece of wood, and bolting onto the cab, getting a couple of chunks of wood cut to fit the smaller lower windows, and maybe hinge them off of the main piece of wood, and tarp strap them (probably makes more sense in my head then I am trying to explain on here). Can ya buy something to fit on the front? Oh yeah, lesson learned!
Im not sure howly your windows broke, but if it was from rocks flying up. Could you possibly take a heavy canvas or burlap tarp material and tie it from top of the cab too somewhere on the boom or your axle. If you did this it would slow the rocks down and stop before they hit the glass.
One method I have used. I used a piece of 1" thick sheet insulation secured with tarp straps for a one time move. It was easy to cut and handle and would not hurt the paint job. It held up well and could be used again but if I were going to use it on a regular basis I would probably glue it to a sheet of thin plywood to reinforce it. The insulation and plywood are inexpensive and light therefore easy to put on and take off. With the plywood on the outside it could be painted to match or add a big or even your company sign/logo.
What about a piece of plexi over the glass? We put plexiglass in our scraper windshields, to replace the broken glass, on one job where the kids seemed particularly vicious. Then tiny marks started appearing all over the plexiglass, not a problem until near the end of the job. One morning a huge rock was lodged in a hole broken out of the plexiglass. They finally broke one. We kept the plexiglass in one machine after that for years, but never wiped the dew, dust or dirt off it, and it was fine. Phil
Hey guys thanks for the replies, and sorry for not replying back earlier! Yes rocks flying up was the problem, I do have really large flaps on my dump truck, but Im thinking it was from someone else passing me. Ive heard a few guys say use a insulated tarp of some sorts, but havent looked into that. Sheet insulation might work, but im thinking a guy would have to reinforce it right off the bat, since I do travel quite abit with it. I do like the idea of painting it and throwing a logo on it. I was thinking about installing some plexiglass right in place of the windshield, but decided against that, due to the scratching. Might be able to make something with plexiglass work though. Also just called the dealership, and apparantly they sell a front windshiled cover for a SM, so im gonna see if that would work on my SK or not, I figure I can always use it for the next hoe I get too!
Hope that cover works out for you. Yes, plexiglass can never be wiped by hand or with a windshield wiper, in my opinion. Only washed with a garden hose. However it does offer an option when replacing broken glass in a much older machine, one can cut it so that it will fit back into the old rubber molding with ease, just by making it slightly smaller. Phil