Is any one familiar with mid 80 s era Massey Ferguson excavators? Any back ground or info would be helpful. Like reliability ,parts availability,etc. Thanks
Early 80's, probably late 70's was a MF450s 360exc, the one I encountered was about worn out and would loose a track if you slammed the cab door This one had a manual slide to adjust the boom length. I cant help you on issues with them! it was a very brief encounter, it must have been quite traumatic though as I left the country shortly after. Have you found one ?
Atlas, Yes I know of a 350 here in NY. I haven't seen any pics but have talked to the owner. He says she is tight and has a good bottom with just 2700 hours on the machine. He says it weights 14 ton. It is only about 200 miles away or so but wanted to research it before I decided to go and check it out. I did google it but came up with nothing. :beatsme
For collecting pourpouse this is a great machine, there are probably not many left... But to get any parts can be a real pain in the ***:Banghead I have a MF3366 trackloader with bad UC, and getting parts is beyond mission impossible :beatsme Hector Gemme who is writing at many equipment forums has the parts i need, but he lives in Canada and is not so willing to send the parts over to europe. I even tried out some ** aftermarket parts factory in Pakistan (Bolan Castings Export), but they didn't suply UC for the 3366. I bet in Germany the parts& knowledge could be found, maybe Hanomag parts would fit? but i know only a couple of words in German, and one is Shaisse (?) = **** doesn't help me a lot... I would guess that the engine and hydraulics on the excavator is perkins and standard hydraulic stuff, but the rest can be interesting! Good luck if you buy it!
My Grandad used to run one, I used to go dyke cleaning with it in summer holidays. Had the bucket control levers on the floor on each side lke pilot controls but long as opposed to straight in front of you like the JCB 5C and 805 etc. Springs were always strong on the bucket levers so it was hard work to slew left all day as you needed a left arm like Atlas himself. As Rob says there are prone to throwing tracks off but it used to run fine bar a few fuel problems, spares could be a bit dodgy for it though now. You wouldn't want to work it hard every day as they were a bit hardwork to operate
Seen loads of 450's in the 70's & 80's but never worked on one, cant say ive ever seen a 350 though. Sales leaflet here of a 450s AtlasRob can slam the door as hard as he likes and the track wont fall off this one! (wheel might fall off though) !
Your correct, they were strange in that the long section gave you for/aft movement then the shorter bit on top cranked left and right. I must admit I dont remember them being heavy but it was only a very brief encounter :lmao :thumbsup
I have never been around a massey ferguson excavater.They look like a good machine.The adjustable boom is a neet idea.I think the International /dresser excavaters used the adjustable boom as well.I wounder how hard it is to change the boom position?
Massey Digger Just joined the forum after noticing you were talking about the old massey excavators. I own both a 350 excavator and a 300 crawler loader.Both have been parked up for some time now but did their fair share of work years ago. The excavator is a fairly honest digger for its age but walking speed is in miles per day! Both have got the ever reliable 248 perkins. Could post some pics if anyone is interested
Welcome to the Heavy Equipment Forums Jonno
Welcome aboard jonno, too darn right we ( well I do, so bugger the rest ) want to see any pics you have of these older machines. I am intrested to see pics of the 350 as I only ever encountered the 450S version and to be honest thought the 350 reference was a typo but as its cropped up again.....I'm intrested There was an article about the ** backhoe loaders in Earthmovers last month I'll see if I can find it.
Hi I used to work on 450s when new and purchased a 350c 2years ago. I will post info and pics as soon as I am allowesd.
1st pic: 1983 MF450D perkins 6 cylinder engine 2nd and 3rd pics: 1973 Massey-Ferguson 450-S
Nice to see some pics havent seen a 450d for many years similar to 350c in design. worked for massey agent in the early 1970s.
nigelbread,roumers are rife that Sisk-Roadbridge have acquired a sizeable job in your neck of the woods any truth? and to stay on thread I posted piccs recently of a 450 ** and I seem to remember that that were built by Hanomag.
Sisk-Roadbridge are going for at least two road jobs one £50 million the other Merther road known as the heads of the valleys £140mill. I will try to find out tomorrow, worth a look! Hanomag built quite a few ** excavators and tracked machines. Hanomag 350c tracked and wheeled [rubber duck]4cyl perkins max 3/4cu yd buckets, dig down to 6 meters [245 inches[ and reach 9 meters [365 inches] with long dipperstick. [sorry for metric measurements!] Not fast by todays standards but still able to shift loads and as they are relativily low tec easy to repair. I hate modern electrical systems. I do not have a good memory just an original sales leaflet. If it is legal and anybody would like an emailed copy get in touch, easy enough to scan. The leaflet came from portland USA and therefore I assume 350C wheeled machines were sold there? The leaflet also has a Hanomag sticker over the original ** Massey Fergusion logo. This must have been when the ** excavators were sold off? Also proves the leaflet is original! ** 350S is a different machine similar to the 450s series Nice to find I am not the only ** fan. Nigel.
MasseyFerguson was created when another email group was abandoned by the owner to the spammers. We are an email group for people who are interested in Ferguson-Brown, Massey Harris, Ford-Ferguson, Ferguson, Massey Harris Ferguson, Massey Ferguson Industrial, and Massey Ferguson tractors and equipment. Companies owned by Massey Ferguson such as Perkins Engines, Hanomag, and Landini are on topic as are Ferguson design influence on other brands. We also discuss Harry Ferguson's invention of the three point hitch system and his role as the father of the modern tractor as well as the fields of mobile and industrial hydraulics. Adoption of 4WD and PTO features are of interest. Discussions about front loaders, snow blowers, backhoes, half tracks, tillage implements, and any aftermarket components or modifications are fair game. The current role of Massey Ferguson as Agco's premier brand and its relationship to the Agco, Valtra, Fendt, and Challenger brands is a good topic also. Ownership changes of the various companies involved with the brand are on topic. Licensing of the three point hitch patents to other tractor brands and adoption of the three point hitch system by other brands are also good. People with related goods and services to peddle are welcome to post within reason. Jim Peck, Moderator [email protected] Please join http://groups.yahoo.com/group/MasseyFerguson/join
Hello In early 70´s Massey Ferguson branch in Brazil produced very few ** 350 excavators, as CKD in their first plant in Brazil, in a city named Taboao da Serra, Sao Paulo uptown. The model available here was powered by a Perkins 4248 I4 engine (73 bhp), which has been locally produced since late 60´s for farm tractor use. I have pictures from the Operators Manual and can share with you in case you have any interest!
** Excavator. Pilaf, I would love to have a scanned copy of the manual. The history of Massey Feguson in Brazil is of great interest to me.
350S Manual Here is a manual for the 350s on sale on ebay. http://cgi.ebay.com/Massey-Ferguson-350S-450S-Crawler-Service-Rpr-Manual_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQitemZ150141589546
ok im new here and have recently purchased a ** 450s and am having issues with one of my tracks getting in a bind. it will move about 2 feet then stop then roll 2 feet the other way and stop with weight on it or off. i was gonna remove the track and try to see if it will still stop but i am not sure on where to get parts or how to remove the track. thank you on any in put or help on removing this track,finding parts or compatible parts,or what my be causing this problem. once again thank you
Hello, new here and looking to find some parts for the 450s massey. I've got two, both with busted swing motor gears. Minnparr.com only has one! Anybody got a parts machine? Thanks William
Weird looking machines
Are you still looking for parts for your 450S Excavator
Yea I know its an old thread buutt saw this old gal and the bucket mounting and linkage caught my eye, that and the twin stacks. Couldn't find anything on a 4500 must be a 450D Lot # : 119 - 1974 ** 4500 Track Hoe Live Webcast Auction Click Main Image For Fullscreen Mode Watch Shipping Not Available Carrollton, MO 64633 Date(s) 10/09/2023 - 10/14/2023 AUCTIONEER INFORMATION Enyeart Auction & Realty LLC 660-288-3022 Contact Auctioneer View Full Catalog
that's all sorts of cool, the adjustable boom length, the bucket linkage in a pocket at the end of the stick. The bucket has enough holes in it to look like a weight reduction measure.
Might sound a bit weird…. But thats one sexy machine, I mean it just looks so rad, the shape etc… I want one for my front garden
I like how they have taken care of those counterweight lifting eyes. Definitely a high priority!
I think it's more likely an early 80's Hanomag sourced machine. The original 450, 450S and 350S were designed in the US and built by ** in Aprilia Italy. They were made from about 1967 till 1980. My former neighbor owned a few of them. Two bought new in 1969 and 1970 and some others along the way. In fact I think he purchased the 1973 with odd side windows in post 13. I remember seeing it listed in the local machinery trader publication. The neighbors son said his dad bought it. Said they were one of the first really advanced excavators. He figured he put about 30,000 hours on one of them. Another owner of one on another forum said they didn't have many any major flaws. Also found reference they were strong and fast for their day. The dual exhaust is odd. I'm guessing it's not a Perkins engine. All the Italian machines had Perkins engines.
Thats a gripe of mine they used to have permanent lifting ears on all CWs, then they went to threaded holes for eye bolts and the threads are always full of dirt and water with threads rusting away. The ears had to be safer than the rusty deteriorating threads. Just like I've told the boys in the shop if its something on the CW side of the engine and it needs a fair amount of attention we have the means to lift them so **** on it no need to stand on your head, that CW is coming off.
The dual exhaust is odd. I'm guessing it's not a Perkins engine. All the Italian machines had Perkins engines. Dave that was odd also must have repowered with a forked engine, 3208, 6v53 or something like that
Hard to tell but who ever put the ad up is blind. It clearly says 450D which wouldn't be a 1970's machine. 1984 maybe. I wonder if it could be a Duetz engine.
maybe a Duetz-Troit? Those are the most common two stackers. It is funny to see an excavator with the engine oriented that way. Looks like everything would be a PITA to work on.
Found some more info. It originally came with a Perkins. Found reference they were made from 1975 to 1990 but I'm not sure how accurate that is. ** bought Hanomag sometime in the mid 70's so they could have made them at the same time as the Italian made machines. Also read that ** bought the rights to an Italian excavator that the 350S, 450 and 450S are based on but that contradicts a book about ** industrial that says the Italian machines were designed in Detroit. Maybe it's a combination of both.