Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Massive fuel leak

crs36 ยท 2010-05-31 14:45

I have a 580 SE with the cummins engine. Fuel is spraying out of the tach drive cover. I asume? the injector pump has blown a seal as it's right behin d the tach drive. I pinned the drive gear as per the manual, and need to remove the pump itself from the drive gear. Does anyone know the thread, diameter and pitch of the bolt's for the "gear puller" to attach to so I can push the shaft from the gear? I'm guessing 8mm X 1.25. Looked into buying the tool and it's a month away, so I'll be making my own. OR can I tap the shaft out with a hammer? How delicate is the injector pump? Thank's for your time/help.

Replies3
  1. #1alrman2010-05-31 22:29

    you will need the puller - don't tap anything the bolts are indeed 8 x 1.25 about 30mm long cut a round bit of 10mm plate at 55mm diam & drill 2 holes 35mm apart & you will be in action.

  2. #2crs362010-06-01 16:33

    Thank's for the info, pump is out. Looking at the pump I can't see where the fuel would have been coming from. Look's like a solid metal seal tight to the body and the shaft. Am I incorrect in this fuel spraying out the tach drive coming from the pump? Can't see where else it could come from.

  3. #3crs362010-06-09 18:47

    Got 'er all fixed, replaced the two seal's on the injector pump "driveshaft", back up in running. Thank's for the help.