Im going to need tracks soon on my pc50 which rubber, how hard is it to switch to steel, and what are the benfits . thanks
I have used both types of tracks and find the steel to be the better deal. The steel can go in any conditions without damaging the tracks. The pushing power of steel over rubber is about 50%. With that being said, rubber can go anywhere and cause minimal damage to the terrain and is a lot quieter. As far as changing from one type to another it depends on the machine. On my KX91-3 to change to steel it is just placing the tension spring in a different position and adding a couple of track guides. Every manufacturer has a different requirement and you really have to find out from the dealer what is required to exchange types.
I bought new rubber tracks cause the price was right. There seems to be a huge price flux and quality difference, the high end McLaren were far to pricey, mid range was between 4000 and 3000 i found a set at Wajax for 2000 and went with those. i wound up having one good spare. i was thinking of steel tracks but i have a lot of concrete. I didn't even manage to find out the price difference. i think the next set should be steel with rubber pads
Steels will add weight to your machine - just a note to bear in mind!! Whether that is good or bad is down to your circumstances? If you were transporting the machine around regularly and adding weight would you risk overloading e.t.c but the extra weight may be beneficial if the machine nodds easily e.t.c (especially as your machine is a zero tailswing the extra weight close to the ground may help to add a bit of extra counterweight and therefore stability)
I just switched to the Mclaren hybrid tracks (steel with rubber pads). They cost $3308.00 inc., shipping. I just got one side on and have no time with them. I will get the other side on but have to get another idler as the original is very worn. I went with new sprokets as well. This was not required but I understand it to be good practice as far as wear goes. The Mclaren people have been real good so far. Sorry that I can't give you any feed back yet. Another guy on this site has them and was very pleased. His experience influenced my decision. BTW the tracks went on a Yanmar Mini VIO 35. Call Mclaren and see if your machine requires any mods. Good Luck.