...we have slightly used iron for sale! Now that things are finished up at Morgantown, I was sent back to our quarry in Elk Mills for... uh... an indeterminate amount of time:beatsme but hey at least I'm working :drinkup:usa One of our (AAM) dirt crews is doing a little stripping out back... picking up where the quarry crew left off last week I guess, the 345 and D6 are AI-MD machines The 345 had to come down and help take apart an old tank for the scrap guys... "how to dismantle an asphalt tank":cool2 Also out back is "the Beast". A new toy of ICM's used for shredding up used roofing shingles. The story I hear is that when you add the "shreds" to a hotmix it cuts down on the amount of liquid asphalt you have to use. Anyone with real hotmix experience want to chime in, feel free too.
Jim, using shingles is the same as using road millings. Any little amount of recycled asphalt that you add means less new ac you have to use. You guys trying to add tires to the mix down there yet? There has been some testing done up here using them melted and mixed with the AC. I hear one outfit found out the hard way, that its not like regular ac. Around here once the paving season is over, most plants shut down the burners on their tanks, and then at the begining of the next season, the fire them up again. Works just fine with ac. Apparently it does not with the ac/tire mix. Once it cools down, its done, you cant heat it back up to a liquid state, leaving them with a trashed tank, and a bunch of wasted ac, an expensive mistake these days.
how are the nails separated from the shingles? I'm sure there's some sort of magnetic thingy:beatsme but I'm sure a few slip by
Turbo, not sure if they are gonna do tires yet. The guys mentioned something about some rubber in the pile that they had to figure out how to shred (apparently the way the grinder is set up, it doesn't like rubber:beatsme). You can see how much they have to work with in the 3rd photo I'd posted that dark pile behind the 345 is all shingles. Chris... that's a good question, I pushed up to the 228 some on Wednesday and never even saw a hint of metal, but I can't imagine they are completely nail free.
They may not be using tear-off shingles, but rather waste from a manufacturing plant. We haul about 5-6 30CY cans a week of "new" shingle waste from a shingle plant to a local asphalt producer to grind to go into the mix. Sometimes the can will have perfectly good looking shingles in it but for some reason or the other did not meet specs. Other times it will be rolls of uncut shingles, just depends on what they are running at the time. We have hauled a few tear-off cans into their yard but not many.
Got a few more photos. Last week they started up the tertiary plant for the first time this year to start making stone again. They are running it 14 hours a day (two overlapping 8 hour shifts). Last week I was on evenings, this week days, feeding the plant by pushing in the surge. Most of the time I'm running the 980, Monday I get a little D6 time, why use a loader to do a dozer's work, when you got a dozer, right? ointhead Mixing 3A (or Maryland CR-1 I think) during some down time... once I break through the frost chucks of course:Banghead:Banghead Towards the end of the shift last week... with those halogens it's like running with a light plant strapped to the roof, but I like it This was the dozer I got to run on Monday. Probably the oldest D6r left in our fleet, with 15,600+ hours, but I gotta be honest, it pushed like a champ:drinkup:notworthy
while I wait for another 12-8 shift Here are a few more photos from Elk Mills, CCI (Contracted Crushin Inc... I think:beatsme) is out back at teh asphalt plant crushing/screening the RAP pile for us. They have a Komatsu PC400 charging a Cedaripas (sp??) impact crusher and an Extec screen. Sorry, it was foggy that morning and for some reason my camera just did NOT want to focus:Banghead One of our lowboys bringing in a rock drill to help the drillers. I was in the pit running a truck yesterday, so I got a couple quick photos of the 990 and 775's. No video... they don't have any fresh shot on the ground (until about 4:30 tomorrow) so they were scraping for stuff, ie slow loading.
update Been a little, so I thought i'd post the few photos I've taken. There have been a few lowboys in and out of the quarry lately. AI-MD's 345 all broke down and ready to get shipped out. Was busy loading trucks the day it actually did get moved, so no photos of that, sorry. And this weeks adventure. Breaking rock with the tired, old, almost retired 350. According to rumor, ICM "bought" one of our (AAM) 345's to permanently replace it, but until it gets here and set up for a hammer they are bringing another 350 in from one of the other quarries today.
Great pics, I love seeing your guys iron. The trucks have a great color scheme too. Whats next?
some recent photos from the pit Still working:usa The 345 that will be replacing the 350 as the pit hoe/hammer showed up fresh from our fab. shop with the new safety handrails, now it just needs the aux. hydraulics put on Spent some time in the pit the last few weeks, here are some shots of the 990's and 775's. And I'm going back on nights for a little while this week, running the hammer. Here's the better of the two 350's we have there right now from a few weeks ago.:drinkup enjoy
What kind of hammer is on that 350? Keep the pics commin, looks like a long noisy night!
I think it's an Atlas Corp. not sure on the size. It's noiser on the other 350 that they have the hammer on now... front window is loose in its tracks so it rattles the whole time, thank god for earplugs...
Cool. Looks like both machine and hammer have been run hard, and yes thank god for earplugs. I'm sure a night without them would make you deaf.
I'll get a photo or two and the hours of the other one tomorrow, but yeah they've both been quarry machines for probably at least 7 years since we (Allen Myers) got all our 345's. And being a hammer machine is hard on just about every part of a machine, especially in a granite rock quarry. Biggest problem on them now is a few hydraulic leaks, a lack of power to the final drives, a few bent or broken track pads, and ya know... what else you'd expect from 20k+ hours on a machine:usa:drinkup
Cool. looking foward to the pics, thanks.
popcorn that at 4200 hammer on that.
Thanks bigcat, I never paid much attention to the number, but now I know. Rumor has it that since Devault's production is shut down for now they are breaking down their new 990 and sending it to Elk Mills. Keep an eye out for photos
I think thats my old 345 not sure! never did know the #
Yeah, I dunno, it was a pipe hoe, never had GPS on it so I'm not sure why it's got the rails on it. The hammer kit should be going on it now, hopefully it will be up and runnin by next week so they can get those 350's to Iron Planet :drinkup :Banghead
it is 3413 talk to the mac there it was a pipe hoe
Great pics. Always somthing interesting going on at the rock quarry. Trbo
Jim Bruce, Did ya happen to notice if that Green pete and Lowboy were from Va? Looks like one of my friends Units. M&N Henderson, Neil Henderson. He's got a fleet of Pete's , always lookin good. Just caught my eye. Lots of other good pics too. Rigandig
It's quite possible, I don't really remember where it was from, but I think the rock truck it was there to pick up was VA bound. Pete was the same color scheme as the ones that shipped our 345 back to PA last year when we were in VA... I think I have another photo around here somewhere of one that dropped off a 330 on that job too.:beatsme
Jim Bruce, Sounds right. I think I remember a conversation with Neil about those moves. Nothing bad, just general conversation about loads, and trucks, and trains, and things. Rigandig
Yeah, I was a little busy getting in the way digging out the entrance to the job to get photos when they pulled out with the 345 on a quad axle trailer and the stick bucket and counterweight on a drop deck trailer.:waving Have you ever moved anything for American Infrastructure/R.G. Griffith? Here's the photo with the Cat 330 I was looking for... Back on topic... I'm starting to realize why Cat stopped making the 350's:Banghead Storm blowing in
That must be one OLD 350, I have never seen one like that before.
Now it makes sense. I didn't tie AI and RG Griffith together. Neil worked for RG for sometime and then started on his own with M&N Henderson. That's been about 10 or more years ago now. Great photos, keep em comin. Rigandig
That might partially be because it's got the Myers yellow paint job on it. Thing has 26,300 hours on it, and more welded cracks than I care to think about, so yeah, she's seen better days Here's hoping the hammer kit is completed on the 345 by 2 today:drinkup:notworthy Yeah, AI aquired RG around 2000 I believe, then in late 2007 we completely intergrated the business unit and expanded into Richmond, making it just AI-VA.
That must be why, thanks Jim.:drinkup
last bits Figured since I gave burnout a hard time for not post photos, it should only be fair that I get a few up. I'm being shipped to another quarry tomorrow to load rip rap with a grapple for "a while". Not sure if it's even gonna be an AI machine I'm gonna be runnin :Banghead Anyway, here's the last from Elk Mills for a while. enjoy:usa #1) 980h Loading #57's onto a A40 to take to a special mix #2) 775 "dropping off" some boulders for the rip rap subcontractor. #3) The new 990h tag team loading a 775f #4) The "new" Cat 345b hammer. Not fallin off this thing:drinkup #5) Spent a day on the little grader... did alright too
final shots for now So, I was back at Elk Mills last couple weeks, next week I'm back in the field. Here's my last pics from the quarry, a couple photos of the new 990 as well as the most recent addition to the AI/ICM fleet:drinkup
Thats a cool drill rig, how old is it? Keep the pics commin!
Yeah man! An Atlas Copco with a rod carousel. You put the pic up Jim, now you got to give us some details of the shot holes. How deep are they drillin'? What size is the hole? Are they using a down (the) hole hammer? Just curious...I loved working a down hole hammer, it's an air operated jackhammer on the end of the drill rod, rock ain't got a chance.
A storm was blowing in otherwise I woulda gotten some better shots of it. I know only bits and pieces that I got from the mechanic. He said it was bought a year ago by another company, but they have never, or almost never used it, so it's almost like new. I'm not 100% sure, but I think it is a down hole hammer, they drill 6" diameter holes, depth depends on the bench. Elk Mills has a couple of 80' high walls, so you're looking at 90 feet or so on those walls, but the top level has spots where they will be under 40' deep. Here's the 80 foot wall to the second level.
Lookin' good Jim, another day at the rock. :drinkup I've been in a number of rock holes. Most all the Vulcan quarries around here, and the biggest an open pit lithium mine in North Carolina back in the 90's. They had 100' walls and 50' benches, the floor of the mine was 800' from surface. Being that far below surface, with 100' walls, they discovered a water aquifer at on spot at the 600' level that was applying enough pressure to make the wall start breaking, a solid rock wall. We were called to drill 4" horizontal holes into the wall/rock and go back 250', then install a PVC perforated drain. I was using a new Ingersoll QL4 down hole hammer on the end of the rod and a new Ingersoll 900 cfm high pressure 450 psi compressor to supply the hammer. It was pounding 70 to 100 feet a day in solid rock. On one hole, I hit a void around 220'. Hammer stopped pounding, and the drill just advanced about 6' through the void until it hit rock again and started pounding on up to 250'. You guessed it...we hit water at 220. That last thirty feet was like working in a hurricane with water going sideways out of the hole with a 900 pushing it. When we installed the drain, the mine geoligists measured the flow and it was 200 gpm. I was soaking wet.
oh man, that soaks... sorry couldn't resist:ban
:lmao :slomo
i need a tool holder for npk e220 used any condition dose any body know where to get one?????
great photos jim would love to go to the usa one day & have a look around the quarrys over there.keep the photos comeing. cheers bluey.