Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

MEC 2033 motor controller

ranger25 ยท 2016-04-25 14:01

Hey all, I have a MEC 2033 scissor lift. Found that I need a motor controller, but the original number which is a Sevcon SC1000 with a MEC part number of 8539 which is not available from what I've found. It is a 24 volt system and the controller that is shown is a 250 amp one. Question is, can you put either a higher amperage rated motor controller protected by a 250 amp fuse? I've been looking at some Curtis ones and am fairly sure I can cross reference the pinouts to get it working if this is possible. I've heard that you can, and it actually runs much cooler but I just wanted to see if anyone else has attempted this before. Thanks for any information. :notworthy

Replies5
  1. #1BillG2016-04-25 15:17

    Just make sure that whatever controller that you install to adjust it to the original specs. A larger current controller will do no harm unless the motor is stalled. If the current limit is not adjusted to whatever the lift is designed for the next component to fail will be the traction motor.

  2. #2ranger252016-04-25 15:51

    Thanks BillG. Is the current setting adjustable in most of these by way of the serial or CAN bus or are you talking about having to change the mosfets?

  3. #3BillG2016-04-25 16:10

    Depends on the controller that you use. Some Curtis controllers have adjustable pots for changing parameters. For others you need a handset to adjust the parameters. Some suppliers will adjust them for you if given the specs at time of order. This saves the expense of buying the handset.

  4. #4BillG2016-04-25 16:13

    Also make sure that the controller is compatible with the current joystick. Some speed controls output 0-5 volts others are variable resistance 0-5000 ohm or 5000-0 ohms.

  5. #5ranger252016-04-25 16:41

    Thanks again BillG. You have been a big help. I will check up on it. Thanks again!