Anybody ever come across one of these? They were built by the Melroe Brothers in the '80s. Had 6 wheels and were powered by an Isuzu diesel. Much more operator friendly than the Bobcats at that time. Wobble sticks for drive and bucket control. An ejecting bucket with foot control. I had one and made the mistake of selling it when I had a little money trouble around 1988. I had never seen one before or after.
Ttt
Maybe I had the only one, I should have sold the wife, instead.
I've heard of the 6 wheel Bobcats that were marketed for forestry use, but thats it. Nobody can ever seem to come up with a pic............ Ed
Bump
I would like to see a picture of that too!!
I ve seen them in pictures a man in the georgia trader paper had 3 for sale. 2 had 6 wheels and one had 8. Ive seen the forestry versions in a BC book I got at booksamillion with a shear on the front
there was one forsale in Burlington Ma. about 2~3 weeks ago on craigslist. Add claimed there was under 200 of them made!
Like this one.......... If anybody knows of one for sale, do tell.
Check this video out.
There is one here in Anchorage. The ejector bucket is just plain cool.
This thing is amazing. Wonder why it never caught on? Too expensive maybe? As a 6 wheel atv enthusiast for several decades the idea of a 6 wheel skid steer always seemed probable. Guess today's rubber track loaders took its place. There was also a modified Bobcat with 6 wheels. Seems to be a forestry machine though.
The one I saw had mechanical drive, no chains each wheel had a differential connected by a jack shaft. Probably expensive but the owner had nothing but praise for it. It is quite a bit heavier at about five tons. The videos are great to see, Thanks Trihonu. The modified skid is cool in the way it can shift the center of gravity on the machine to gain traction or be able to lift a little more in a bad position. The walking beams enable the tires to stay planted. The short deep holes can be bridged a bit, and taller banks can be climbed. With the walking beams I'm not sure that you could actually pick the rear wheels off the ground as it might become a taildragger. I'd like to see a real world view of it working. I also wonder if adding all the extra drivetrain,that there might have been an power issue with the stock engine or if it was modified?
There was one for sale in the Denver area about 3- 4 years ago for under 3K. I wanted it but couldn't pony up the dough. It sure looked interesting.
Winter Equipment has one that will be for sale soon for $6995. Look near the bottom of the page.
Sure is a lot of wishful thinking on the prices of those relics!
it's one for sale : http://www.machinerytrader.com/listingsdetail/detail.aspx?OHID=7174576
There's still a couple of them sitting at the Bobcat factory in Gwinner. They used to use one of them for snow removal around the yard once in awhile, but they have been parked out back in the graveyard for a few years now. There have been several other odd machines that never made it past the prototype stages, too. (My dad was one of the higher-ups in the engineering/experimental department there for many, many years). We had some really interesting machines out at our place from time to time, putting hours on them.
Way overpriced at $10.500.
where can I get one or when will someone make one again. that machine looks like it can move some dirt.
Do you have any pics of those experimental machines? I bought that book about Bobcat but was disappointed to find that there were no pictures of they're experimental machines. I have a Caterpillar book and a Euclid/Terex book that both have pictures of experimental equipment.
^^^
You right , because is unique they want top$/
Love the ejector bucket... talk about a cycle expediter! Any of those available for modern skidsteers?
I have never used one, but looks interesting...... http://www.attachmentsintl.com/extreme_service/buckets/ejector.htm
very neat
^^^
The 660.... Who'd a thunk it. I have been around for awhile and never even heard of that one.
There might be some stuck away in photo albums at my mom's place. Some of the machines just had experimental engines, hydraulic or hydrostatic systems, cabs, etc, while some were just plain different all together. There were actually a couple models of the 6-wheel machine, but I don't remember for sure if they all made it to production or not. I know a few of them were scrapped behind the experimental building in Gwinner. EDIT: The ones I'm talking about are not the 660's, they are the feller buncher type machines with the chain driven extra wheels. The ones at the Gwinner factory have large buckets on them now, as did the ones at the experimental/engineering facility (that were sadly cut up for scrap).
I heard that the 660's were built in Spokane, WA. I guess that a few different models were built there in the past.
I like bobcat.
^^^
Too Much!! Thanks for the video Tri!
Hi I just joined today 10/29/10. I purchased the 660 in Burlington Mass. Its in decent shape but needs a lot of TLC. Steering and boom controls are junk , thinking of updating the the newer joystick controls. Found this site doing six wheeler search - not much info other than the vidio. SOOOO !!! can anyone give me any info,help,ect on these machines
My dad has one of these and I was wondering if there is anyone out there who could tell me where to get a book on this thing?? Need to do some repairs on it and before I go and tear into this thing would like to know what I am looking at. Thanks in advance for any help STR
never seen one of these. definitely a cool machine.
Melroe 660 strkillz I still have the 660 from Mass, it came with some info and a owners manual . The manual is a photo copy in B/W so most pics are real poor let me know area you are working on . Maybe i can be of some help, haven't fixed mine yet,wanted to restore if possible RAY
Let's try it again, anybody know where one may be found??
Yair . . . It shows what can be done with thoughtfull design . . . I think that thing was just too far ahead of its time, the six wheel concept, the bucket arm linkage, the ejector bucket . . . but the main thing for me is the slide out engine and drive, that was clever thinking!! Cheers.
RAYS I know this is a very old thread but I am just now getting around to rebuilding this 660 and I was wondering if there is anyway I could get a copy of the manual you have? Anything would help and I would be more than happy to pay for any printing or shipping cost. Thanks, Shawn
SHAWN Just happen to look in here. Been couple years just got to mine again, never did sort out linkage on mine. Currently trying to install 1435 case joysticks. How does yours steer ? what number is yours ? mines 0046. Read somewhere they made about 130 units. Happy to provide copy of what I have for manuals. Not sure if we can correspond here on forum. ( I usually just read ) here's my e-mail [email protected] RAY
Not sure what number it is when we bought it only had one metal plate that fell off and can't seem to find it. As far as the steering has one joystick I guess you could call it that is center of the machine in the cab. I'm gonna try and post some pics this weekend after I get done pressure washing it. As far as the manual goes you think there is anyway you can scan them and email it to me? [email protected]
STRSKILLZ I'm not to computer smart so will get daughter onto the 660 manual soon. Would like to see pic's of yours. have a few of mine and will send/ post pic's of the work I do on mine as I go if you like. What kind of issues do you have with yours ? Mine are steering and loader controls, bad bearing in center drive gear box (minor fix I hope) , and ejector cylinder missing. Actually goes really good, very stable , and seems to have lots of power. I have a 125 john deere , 1835 case, and a 1200 Thomas - just bought 2 1845 case skid steers FRI. along with a ton of parts and 3 tree spades. Not sure why to good deal to pass on. Would like to find other 660 owners to get more info. I contacted Steve Kole ( I think one the inventers who built these things) and he sent me to another who's link wouldn't work. I'll be giving it another go soon.
Have a few issues. Groans like an old dog when you turn, lift won't go up unless you have it at full throttle and won't start w/o using starting fluid. As of right now that is the only repair, hopefully that is all. Kind of excited to work on this thing would love to get it back to its original condition.
I maybe of help on your issues. Turn could be its in high range - tee handle on mine on left of seat all the way down is low. mine does not like to turn in high unless moving right along and will wine and protest if moving slow. Lift - mine did same thing - was blown packing in cyl. had it rebuilt because I could not get the end nut out / was around $200. here and I think other one is weak, keep hearing a noise from cylinder when lifting full bucket. Hard starting - sounds like my JD 125 when I got it and it has same make engine. That was burnt off glow plug wire on back of switch or you could have burnt out glow plugs. the JD won't start with out glow plug heat anytime on first start , after engine is warmed up starts fine. I always give both 20 seconds of glow before cranking. The melroe starts right up with the 20 seconds and sounds like it has a race cam in it at an idle , has more power than the JD haven't check to see if same size motor / think maybe bigger . If you have questions just ask / glad to find somebody working on same machine. Will try to get manual to you this week. Not sure how to do pic's on here but will give it a go soon.
Appreciate it I'll give it a try. Pulled it out today got it all cleaned up and blew a hose on the lift, so I guess I can add something else to the list I have to fix. No big deal though it's just a hose
Also I need to change all the fluids and filters. Do you know what model engine it is? I know it is an Isuzu, need to get oil filter and fuel filters for it. Thanks for any help, I took some photos gonna try and post them