Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Michelin XTLA date marking / determination

fast_st ยท 2019-11-12 12:15

So bought some used sneakers about three years ago, we've worn away about half of the remaining life in that time. Half inch worn down to 1/4 or so above the TWI marks. They have a few areas where there are no cracks. I figure when they start loosing air then it'll be time to replace them. I was wondering if they had a date code branded or encoded, or do I contact Michelin with the serial number to find out? Just to make a good argument, it sounds like if we burn off 6/32 a year, then maybe get 7 years out of a set.

Replies4
  1. #1Ct Farmer2019-11-12 13:14

    Look for the DOT number. Last 4 digits is the date code, gives you week made and year. So 0519 is 5th week of 2019.

  2. #2DIYDAVE2019-11-12 21:08

    At or after about 6 years old, dry rot rate increases, so they become maypops, not michelins... https://images.app.goo.gl/HqnbZ3VNhvSjk3RP7

  3. #3fast_st2019-11-13 09:38

    I'll give a look over, whereas they're offroad it might not be branded but no harm in giving them a good look over!

  4. #4fast_st2019-11-13 09:41

    MayPop is one of my favorite brands! I figure the dry cracks increase ice and snow traction with more cutting edges! Its used at a shooting club but let me say a 357 casing hit just right makes a dandy tire coring tool! I keep an eye on my truck tires, when they get to about 8-9 years they'll get replaced but low speed equipment tires seem to keep going.