michigan model # 55 111 tractor shovel . How can I remove the hyd tank filter . It is not the t handel model shown in my parts book. It has a handel and I tried to pull and also twist it with no sucess. It is in my parts book, but does not show threads or how it comes out for cleaning.The T model unscrewes and seperates but this type I do not have a clue. I do need to clean it. Can any body help. Thanks Gary
Is your machine a straight frame 55 III or articulated 55 IIIA? The straight frame has the T handle filter, the IIIA Has a "U" shaped handle and should unscrew for cleaning the suction filter, the return filter is under a blind plate next to the filling cap. and just lifts out.
Oldseabee, Thank you for the reply. My machine is a mich. 55 ser.3 straight frame, serial # 8bg208.In my parts manual #2549-r2 page#72 #11 is a picture of it and it looks like a upside down U. It is like a handle made of strap iron about one inch wide, and goes down along both sides of the filter. I tried to unscrew it with a cresent wrench and bar to twist it out with no luck. I also put a short chain and a pry bar to try and lift it up and out. I tried to pull and shake it if it was stuck to the magnet in the bottom of the tank, no luck. There is a drain/ inspection plug about 5'' across on the bottom inside of the tank. Tell me how does it come out to clean.
What you are describing is the 55 IIIA filter, it would normally unscrew and lift out, could be corroded in place or cross threaded, may have to destroy it to get it out then get a new one to put in. Don't know why that filter is in that machine, either an upgrade to the later design or someone had the wrong filter and made it fit. I'll go back and look at service bulletins to see if there was a change. That may take a while.
Did some more research and found that the 55III S/N 6BG101 through 7BG999 used the T handle filter P/N 1532444. 8BG101 and ON used the "U" shaped handle filter P/N 562118.