I've gotten in the habit now that when I drive I put my camera on the dash and record some of what I consider some of the more interesting driving I do. Mountain climbs and just my Hi-Railing up here in Colorado right now. These are some videos of me driving Rt 40. Almost everyone of them has a hairpin/switchback turn in them. The ones on the rail are just climbing out of Denver and Going through all the little tunnels cut in the mountains up here. http://www.viddler.com/moonsplitter/videos/11/ http://www.viddler.com/moonsplitter/videos/3/
Cool videos. I've been over Berthoud pass many times. Driving down the tracks like that reminds me of when I was a kid I had a 57 Chevy pickup that would sit on the rails. We would go for miles and miles down the track. Used to make me nervous crossing the high trestles though. What exactly are you doing while your traveling on the track? Thanks for the post. Been kinda wondering where you were.
As I recall, there's a thread somewhere that tells us what 95 does, but basically they test track conditions for the rail companies. The gear is all set up in the truck.
Ya, I remember him telling us. I was just wondering if there's sensers in the truck doing the recording as they drive along the track? I recall the pics of the truck. Its quite a buggy
nice scenery, and a real nice sounding turbo!
James, It's a C-15 CAT so there's actually two turbos spinning up. Lash, On this style of trucks, there's an accelerometer mounted vertically on each side of the camera box directly over each rail. Those monitor each rails vertical movement. In the middle of the box there's vertical and lateral gyros Those monitor side to side and roll. I'm on my way home right now, but in another week I'll be back at the truck and I'll see about getting better pictures of the camera boxes and maybe some video of our computer screens as we're testing. I also just found out that one of our trucks will be heading to Alaska in may to test the Alaska Railway. Unfortunantly it's not supposed to be the one I'm on.:Banghead:crying
Ok, we know I'm on my way up:woohoo Lash, It took a little while but here's the links to a couple of videos from inside the truck. I'm sorry about the shake but there was no place to set up the tripod and the videos where taken on the roll. Instead of describing what is on there if you folks watch it then ask I'll answer what I can. Ray http://www.viddler.com/explore/moonsplitter/videos/16/ http://www.viddler.com/explore/moonsplitter/videos/17/
Thanks for posting those videos. Always wondered what it would be like high railing. Do you have any pics of the truck? :usa
Thanks for posting, I'm not to sure how to interpet all that information. LOL How many guys does it take to operate the truck? It looks like a spendy operation to say the least. I think you have a cool job. You get to travel around and see the country just a little different than ordinary tourist.