Restoration of a Mitsubishi BD2GII going on in my shop. So far the worst has been the c frame pins rust welded in. Got most everything working now, clutches, brakes, all adjusted to spec. Fluids filters mostly done, need to finish the transmission wire screen magnet filter, the rear cartridge hydraulic oil filter and is done. I would love to paint it this year but I need $ out of it by making cash with it. Waiting on the cutting edges to arrive, and then to build a custom ROPS. Had been looking for a d20 or d21 to scab off of but looks like I’ll be going from scratch. Anyone got pointers on the metal 3x3 or 4x4, then the mesh I like 2x2 weave mesh and a solid top with rain drip rail. What ideas can you guys help with I may have missed?
Roll over protection is a highly engineered structure designed to prevent crushing of the operator in the event of a roll over accident. It has to be designed by an engineer and tested by an authorized testing facility. If you are planning on using the machine for commercial projects you should consider the liabilities associated with that endeavor. Looking for a commercial unit for that machine would likely be a prudent use of your time.
Ok. Yea not gonna happen. But thanks of the OSHA lecture. If you can find a “commercial unit” ROPS for me I’ll go get it. There is not one, never has been. The BD2GII never was produced with a 4 post system. However, as a skilled machinist, trained and certified in multiple welding specialties, what I build will be substantially better than what’s on the little machine now. If I want to do “commercial work” I’ll use my deere 450h with OSHA approved risers, screens and ROPS.
I apologize for the comment if it offended you but do think that people should not post about safety components that they plan on building or using that would be considered willful violations of health and safety regulations. The same goes for emissions deletes and so on. It's your machine so do what you want. Just keep in mind that this is probably the highest trafficked site of its kind on the web. Plenty of us older generation along with manufacturers, regulators and law enforcement monitor it as well. Please don't make yourself a target.
Hey I’m not easily offended I just figured “you was one of those” internet experts. But really, safety lol, this little dozer didn’t have a working seat, seat belts, emergency brake or foot brakes, nor did the foot inch-ing clutch work when I got it. Plus, if you saw what Japan thought was a roll bar you’d call OSHA on me immediately. Really, the factory roll bar has already cracked and billy bob welder plated it in not so nice fashion so there will be fabrication of a four post ROPS out of material strong enough to support at least 4 times the weight of this little dozer. Plus I’ll have something to weld screens and risers on as well.
I have a client who has had several of them over the years. A couple only had umbrellas for cover. At least you have steel tracks. Most I've seen had rubber bands. Nice work on bringing it back to life.
I got to run a rental that was in good working order, and it was a sweet little ride. I was fine grading around my friend's shop and getting water to run away on all sides. It was a joy in the light soil I was working with.