Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

mixing hydraulic fluid?

Red Durt ยท 2014-03-09 10:08

just bought a 2011 NH track loader with 250 hours and need to add some hydraulic fluid due to a leak on an attachment. I am new to all this, so may be a silly question but the owner's manual says the optimum fluid for my area is a good 10W-30. I don't know what is currently in the loader. Is it ok to add this fluid without knowing what is in it?

Replies10
  1. #1TreeHogger2014-03-09 11:43

    You're fine mixing fluids...cleanliness is WAY more critical than viscosity. Seems as though if you were going to use motor oil in Texas, 15w-40 would be a better choice. However, I usually defer to the operator's manual. Why not just purchase medium hydraulic fluid - it's likely cheaper? ~ Mark

  2. #2tmc_312014-03-09 12:20

    Hi Red Durt, I live over north of Tye and run a NH L190. Welcome to the madness . Like you I don't know for sure what kind of fluid was in my skid when i got it. I have always kept it topped off with Hyd fluid from tractor supply. Also I rent attachments quite often so cross contamination is always a possibility. So far I've not seen any ill effects from this. Tim

  3. #3durallymax2014-03-09 14:27

    We ran NH for a number of years and most had a mix of 10w30 and THF. Never had a pump or drive motor issue on any of them. 6,000hrs on one, 4,000 on another, 10,000 on another plus the older ones we had back in the day that I cant remember.

  4. #4Red Durt2014-03-09 14:56

    OK. Well, I said I was new and I am showing it. The SAE 10W-30 came from the owner's manual viscosity chart for hydraulic fluid. I thought it was a viscosity rating for a particular hydraulic fluid. So, it's actually motor oil they are referencing as an option? The chart is followed by this-- NOTE: CNH recommends exchanging factory fill hydraulic oil with SAE 10W30 for applications where continuous operations above 100 F or frequent roading applications (above 20 to 30 minutes) are common. (I will be doing no roading but will have some of the 100+ days) Based on your responses, I assume that adding Mystik AW Hydraulic Oil ISO 68 shouldn't be a problem regardless of what it has in it? Thanks for each of your responses. I appreciate it. Tim--a nice day in the neighborhood today, isn't it?

  5. #5tmc_312014-03-09 17:24

    clear, 59deg, no wind, Yup a great day in the neighborhood Tim

  6. #6frogfarmer2014-03-10 10:20

    On a low hour machine I would stick to the 10w30 but I run 15w40 in my skids with over 2000hrs. As stated above I haven't had any problems with my equipment but have had to fix several over the years. I always use diesel grade oil. It is supposed to have a better additive package more suited to the hydraulic systems than the standard automotive oil. I don't run the transdraulic or straight hydraulic oil most farm supply stores sell for cheap.

  7. #7Red Durt2014-03-10 16:50

    Thanks frogfarmer and to others for replies!

  8. #8durallymax2014-03-11 16:00

    We always used diesel 10w30 in our NH's. Delo XLE 10w30. Its important to note though some machines that call for 10w30 still need additives. I know the case machines did at one point.

  9. #9Tchara2014-03-24 20:27

    I too just recently purchased a J.D. 250. I was at the dealer today, and the guy at the parts counter told me, that they recommend a /15w40 for hydraulic fluid. He said the 250 had a problem with the fluid getting to hot. But I was wondering the same thing about mixing. I have been using the tractor supply stuff. Should I drain it before adding a motor oil?

  10. #10Lil' Puss2014-03-25 02:03

    FWIW, I run the same multi grade hydraulic oil in all my equipment: ISO AW 32/46/68. Far superior to engine oil and only a few bucks more. Adapts to temperature changes well. Most name brand oil companies have it.