Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Model D

Wild Bill 2 u ยท 2018-12-21 10:06

I am taking a break from Harley building, so I picked this grader up to build, I do NOT restore anything. I am looking for a few things, a complete scarifier or just dimensions of one, I could use a stock hydraulic cylinder that raises and lowers it, or not, I can fab these things just looking to see if there are any parts floating around? And if its cheaper to buy vs build? I am having a gas tank made up at my local iron mongers should be ready in a few days he said. If anyone has use for the propane conversion that is on it? Let me know as I will not be using that, I am a horse trader so if you want that I will trade stuff. This ol girl has been ridden hard and put away wet one night to many. The steering box has been taken away and some one added a ram, it steers with a tiller.....................thats going as well. I am going to mod on a chevy truck power steering box. I am thinking either OD Green or the Desert tan military colors it will NOT be A/C colors. Thanks all...........Wild Bill

Replies24
  1. #1Wild Bill 2 u2019-01-01 08:20

    So after all the years of just sitting I put a new starter in this checked the mag it had a very weak spark and attempted to fire this up................it started and ran for 5-8 seconds, it sounded awesome alot like an old English single cylinder thumper motorcycle! The mag appears to have just died? I know a little about them from the days I used to build Indian motorcycles.........I know enough about them to just buy a BRAND NEW one and don't waste my time trying to rebuild this old FM one! I picked up a BRAND NEW Wico and as soon as it gets here? I will get this thing fully running. I did pull off the propane comversion boxed it all up and if anyone wants to use propane? I will sell or trade this conversion.

  2. #2thepumpguysc2019-01-01 10:05

    That's an interesting old machine.. I especially like the "muffler" set-up.. Lol

  3. #3Wild Bill 2 u2019-01-01 10:07

    I am afraid that is gone now

  4. #4d9gdon2019-01-01 10:52

    Those graders will last forever with some care. They were well built.

  5. #5Wild Bill 2 u2019-01-01 10:59

    I'm afraid this one was ridden hard and put away wet one night to many! I will get her straightened out, do a few custom things and have it working and looking good in short order!

  6. #6old-iron-habit2019-01-01 22:45

    Please keep us posted as you go along. I seen a very clean former DNR Model D a while back that had a 4 cylinder JD diesel in it. They are a very well built little machine.

  7. #7Wild Bill 2 u2019-01-01 22:52

    I had figured this thing to have a stuck motor my original plan was to adapt a Kubota V2203DI I have sitting in my shop as an extra. This gas motor fired so for now it stays!!! Those Kubota V motors are easy to adapt into anything. I put one in a old German Holder tractor I own, the conversion took me a day and a half and it was running.

  8. #8Wild Bill 2 u2019-01-01 23:16

    Ordered in a new mag and radiator today gas tank to be picked up tomorrow. The front of the soft cab (in above pics) is also for sale or trade now. I pulled cab, hood, and grill off today and taking it out for sand blasting tomorrow. The frame, blade etc will be blasted in a week or so. I will be painting it all at that point I was going to search or fab the rest of the cab up but decided to go with the cab as it was made.

  9. #9waltyer willis2019-01-11 21:49

    Any information on shipping dimensions and weight of 1954 model d?

  10. #10Wild Bill 2 u2019-01-11 21:55

    my email is [email protected] youy need to give me your email if you want me to send you spec sheet

  11. #11Wild Bill 2 u2019-01-14 16:44

    Does ANYONE know of a source of parts machines? I need a few small parts I could mill them out but would rather simply buy them! I need 2 tie rod ends the ones that look like a clevis? ANY HELP ANYONE? Thanks

  12. #12d9gdon2019-01-14 19:09

    Here's one in Ohio that's been dismantled: https://www.machinerytrader.com/lis...equipment/manufacturer/allis-chalmers/model/d Also, MinnParr bought the leftover parts from Fiat Allis. They have some NOS parts. You can also download a parts manual from them for free. https://www.minnpar.com/ https://www.minnpar.com/manuals3.as...LS&SFName=ALLIS CHALMERS MOTOR GRADER MANUALS I have heard that those tie rod ends are getting scarce for the Allis Chalmers M65 which came right after the DD series...it may be the same part as yours. I have two, but the one I'd sell would be $450.

  13. #13Wild Bill 2 u2019-01-14 21:16

    Thanks for the info checked them out a while back they have nothing................at $450.00? I would mill them out of a block of steel......................my old mill-rite milling machine works great! Thanks anyway

  14. #14Wild Bill 2 u2019-01-14 21:19

    Phil Hunt sells them brand for $150.00 and good used for 75.00 they are down under in AU

  15. #15DIYDAVE2019-01-14 22:08

    Try over at the unofficial Allis Chalmers forum, they have a classified page, and they are a good buncha guys there, who may be able to help you...

  16. #16Wild Bill 2 u2019-01-14 22:39

    Thank You......................

  17. #17Wild Bill 2 u2019-09-07 10:36

    Never had any luck finding a front axle, and not for trying I searched the USA including this site~!!! I did find parts from some clown in Australia he is a massive rip off not to mention shipping is more expensive than the parts! He wanted close to $100.00 each for clevis's for the tie rod plus shipping. I was going to use heim joints but was not thrilled with a top or bottom only pull/push so I used hydraulic cylinder ends, they worked awesome! I paid some local guy who did auto cad drawings to come here and draw out a front axle in that format. He did that and gave me the file. I then sent it to a shop that used a massive cnc plasma burning table with the capabilities of burning 2" thick plate. The pictures you see is of my brand new front axle! The cut needs maybe a total of 10 minutes clean up. I will be making up the axle wishbone support out of 1" x 2" flat bar and will have 4 tie back supports, the grader will do a end over before the axle will bend. So I still have this file if anyone likes or needs what they see I will sell the file and anyone can send it off to their local iron monger and have one burned out. My actual axle cost me a short $400.00 for steel and burning..................and it is solid.

  18. #18Wild Bill 2 u2019-09-07 10:38

    more pics

  19. #19Mother Deuce2019-09-07 10:42

    I like your style Mr. Bill!

  20. #20Wild Bill 2 u2019-09-07 10:49

    So do I!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks! .................................

  21. #21DIYDAVE2019-09-07 20:30

    Sweet! You gots a good iron guy, there!

  22. #22repowerguy2019-09-08 07:44

    I'm pretty sure a leaning wheel axle off of a Galion 503 G or an A would bolt on the frame.

  23. #23ovrszd2019-09-08 19:33

    She's a Beaut!!!

  24. #24RenoHuskerDu2019-10-24 17:42

    Would you consider moving to Texas, you'd be a great neighbor to have.