I need to convert a container chassis into a houseboat trailer. I only have max 72" between the pontoons. Is there a way of running a single tire on each axle or is there a way of modifying these axles so the end of the spindle doesn't stick out.The other option is to find a set of short axles if these do exist. Tks for your imput.
Since this is a container chassis it has Dayton wheels, (open center rims, held on with wedges), right? To easily run single tires on this axle, you put the tire on with the spacer ring and a bare rim. Axles can be shortened by cutting them in the middle and welding them back together. This must be done carefully, if you intend to put miles on this trailer, to keep it from becoming a tire eater. If you shorten the axles, you will have to modify the frame and suspension. I own a Navy surplus nuclear missle carrier that has single tire axles. The hubs don't stick out past the tires, but I'm not sure of the width. You could have a welding shop put used spindles in your axles, so that you could use front hubs. There are a lot of things that can be done, like going to 255/70/22.5 tires (36" tall) or no suspension, and others, depending on the miles you intend to put on this trailer. Is this going to be a one-time use, get-it-afloat, trailer, or are you going to pull it alot? What will this boat, or boats, weigh? If you provide more info, we will try to help you. Good luck
Since this is a container chassis it has Dayton wheels, (open center rims, held on with wedges), right? = yes I own a Navy surplus nuclear missle carrier that has single tire axles.= Pics? Is this going to be a one-time use, get-it-afloat, trailer, or are you going to pull it alot?= I would use it to launch and retrieve my houseboat yearly instead of renting a 100 ton mobile crane at $ 2000 a lift. Also where I presently store my houseboat, my landlord is 82 years old and thinking of selling. Furthermore, I may want to relocate it to a different lake within a 2 hour area once I'm bored of the lake I'm on. What will this boat, weigh?= Empty it weighs 16800 lbs.
You might be able to get some short axles like the Cozad, Murray, Aspen, Etc. lowbed trailers use for the 16 wheel axle groups. They runs low profile 17.5 rubber. You could narrow a section of frame on the container chassis and the tires would be barely wider than the regular frame section. http://www.murraytrailer.com/index.html http://www.cozadtrailers.com/en/ http://www.aspentrailer.com/ you can see pictures of them on any of these sites, though it may take some searching to gind an actual pair of axles used. One other similar option would be housemover dollies. Same type of narrow axle there. Like mentioned above, you can also just narrow the existing axles.