Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Moly grease differences?

DirtyHoe · 2017-11-24 10:38

This received no responses in the Lubrication forum so I will try it here: My local CAT store has Cat Ultra 5 Moly Part #183-3424 and Cat Extreme Application Grease #452-6001. They both have 5% moly and a Calcium Sulfonate Thickener. So are they the same thing with a different label? Confusing to a novice. Also, I want to use either one on my Case 580C backhoe. Besides pins and bushings can this grease be used on the rear grease zirks that lube the rear axle bearings? What about the front hub bearings and the king pin needle bearings? I've read that a high percentage of moly should not be used on high speed ball bearings, but none of these bearings are high speed in my opinion. If I shouldn't use this grease on ball bearings what do you recommend for a wet climate? Thanks, Steve

Replies15
  1. #1funwithfuel2017-11-24 10:55

    Wax based grease for rollers ie Dodge bearings in conveyors, rotating assemblies and the like. For your backhoe i wouldn't hesitate to use the moly lubes. Personally i use mobil xhp222

  2. #2xgiovannix122017-11-24 17:22

    I use red chassis grease on everything other then hammers and rollers

  3. #3Delmer2017-11-24 18:01

    I wouldn't use it on the rear axle because of it getting into the transaxle. Otherwise it's fine for the front wheels and kingpins.

  4. #4DirtyHoe2017-11-24 20:57

    Delmer, What do you suggest for grease on the rear bearings? I'm guessing the zirks are there because the bearings are isolated by seals from the gear oil? Steve

  5. #5funwithfuel2017-11-24 21:00

    I was on the same thought process. That it would be isolated.

  6. #6RDC_580C2017-11-24 21:27

    It's only sealed from the outside, at the wheel. On the inside is just the bearing that gets lubricated from the transaxle fluid. That outer bearing really gets jack all for lubrication and is usually forgotten until it starts acting up, but anything pumped into that zerk there could get into the diff, or blow out the outer seal.

  7. #7Delmer2017-11-24 21:47

    I figure if it doesn't go to the outside, then it's going into the transaxle. I'd use anything but moly grease, a simple lithium grease, or a red high temp lithium would be better in my mind.

  8. #8xgiovannix122017-11-24 22:23

    some people dont grease anything period

  9. #9Nige2017-11-25 15:04

    I found the answer to your question in a Cat document from 2015 entitled "Cat® Grease Product & Program Changes - Frequently Asked Questions" I think this is what you need top know - Cat Ultra 5Moly Grease (NLGI 1, & 2) is replaced by Cat Extreme Application Grease (NLGI 1, & 2). Both 183-3424 & 452-6001 are NLGI #2 greases so there is no difference between the two Part Numbers. If the 183-2424 is being offered by your Cat Store at a discounted price because it's old stock I would suggest you buy it......

  10. #10DirtyHoe2017-11-26 12:11

    Nige- thanks for the explanation. Would this grease also be OK for the drive-line needle bearings? Outside of the NGLI 2 rating I don't see a GC rating for bearings on the tube. I don't mind keeping two grease guns, but one would be a lot easier. Steve

  11. #11RDC_580C2017-11-26 13:41

    Sorry, I misremembered about that inner seal. There are seals on the inside of the axle housings on the 580C, so you're not getting any grease into the Transaxle, or Transaxle fluid in the axle housing, the TA fluid still does lubricate that inner bearing though. You can use the same grease on every zerk on the machine. Some people don't even know about the 2 back there at the rear wheels, and all the ones in the different linkages under there, let alone grease them at all. The service manual only called for a #2 Moly type for all of them.

  12. #12emmett5182021-08-04 14:54

    You mean the ones who own Kioti, Mahindra, Kubota, and Deere in their backyards? I’ve been converted by you guys. I’ve joined the Church of Moly Grease as a zealot!

  13. #13emmett5182021-08-04 14:55

    Lucas told me grease had a 3 year shelf life. Mobil, 5 years.

  14. #14Tinkerer2021-08-04 15:46

    This thread has been inactive in over 3 years. I think you would have better luck finding a pot of gold at the end of a rainbow than getting a response from xgiovannix12. He hasn't logged in since 2018.

  15. #15JL Sargent2021-08-07 17:37

    Give me a break. I don't believe it. In 1990 I bought a 16ft tandem axle trailer. Last summer I Pulled the hubs and bearings to inspect everything. You guessed it. The grease, bearings, seals all looked fine. That's 30 year old grease! I cleaned everthing, new grease, trailer rolling on down the highway. I suspect grease might last 100 years.