Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Most yards in one day?

cmrhoades1 ยท 2011-03-05 13:29

Curious how much dirt the bigger outfits in this country or canada can move in a day? On one job with a single spread of scrapers? I work for one of the biggest contractors in Nebraska and our best days are about 30,000 yds a day with a single scraper spread. What can you guys do? Looking to here from the big name contratctors like ACI, Pinnick, Sukut, Kidco, Sureway......

Replies17
  1. #1EGS2011-03-05 18:30

    We have done 35,000 a day with a single scraper spread. When we run the 773's they figure 45,000 to 50,000. I would be interested in what some of the big 657 spreads average. I have never been around 657's.

  2. #2alco2011-03-05 19:49

    We average around 450,000 to 500,000 bcm per day, but we're a mine, so that most likely doesn't count.

  3. #3andoman2011-03-06 09:41

    I guess we're talking dirt, but concrete wise it was 5,000 cyds.

  4. #4pwking132011-03-06 12:55

    During the the 70's,80's and the 90's I worked for Conoco in the Uranium mines in south Texas. We had 30 something D-9's, 6- 657's, about 40-651's, plus a fleet of 8-295 Inernational scrapers and about 7 or 8 TD25 dozers,7 or 8 16G's in just our stripping crew, not to mention the trucks ,loaders and excavators used to mine the ore. Can't tell you how much a day but just the 657's and 51's averaging 100 lds. a day would have been about close to 200,000 yds/day. One of our biggest mines was 350 ft deep@5 million yards. Our tailings impoumdment covers 250 acres and was sealed with 8 million yds of compacted clay.

  5. #5JDOFMEMI2011-03-06 21:05

    I don't know the daily total, but the biggest scraper job I knew of was the 241 toll road, and that was in the 90's. One spread out of the many on it had close to 100 scrapers, 651's and 657's. I have been around several residential jobs where they were moving close to 100,000 CY per day, but not for at least 5 years now.

  6. #6d9gdon2011-03-06 23:51

    pwking13, I noticed that the Texas Railroad Commission is reclaiming those uranium mines, a few each year. Have you got in on any of that with the contractors doing the work? I haven't seen any of the awards, just the bid notices so I don't know any of the contractors who did the work. Some of them are 1 - 2 million yard jobs. Seems like they're around Kenedy from memory? I think I saw where operators needed protective gear for radiation?, but testing was definitely going to be done.

  7. #7pwking132011-03-07 10:28

    d9gdon, Yes the TRC is reclaiming the ones that were not reclaimed prior the the 1978 reclamation act. I still work for Conoco and Exxon as a consultant taking care of there tailings impoundments, and right now Russell and son's out of Longview are reclaiming a mine on Conoco property just south of Falls City. They moved in a D9R about 3wks. ago and a D6 to clear brush off an overburden pile for backfill material. The moved in 3-637's to haul to the material. I'd have to look at the contract to see how many yards they propose to haul. Thinking of your name, a D9G was the first dozer I ever operated. We started out with 6-657's, 5-D9's,2 were rip tractors 1 with a sloper attachment,and a #16 motorgrader in 1971. I was the last Conoco employee until they decided to sort of retire me, but keep me onsite as more or less a caretaker until the site would be released to the State.

  8. #8GCC2011-03-09 19:51

    well on a big land stripping job they had 3 cat 385s with 7.6yd which they averaged out to about 50,000 yds a day and i was there with my midget hitachi 300 lol stripping shale lol i felt like the b**ch boy of the job man at night when we parked all the machines beside each other out by the road i would just say wow.

  9. #9d9gdon2011-03-09 23:49

    pwking13, You've been around that place for a while then. I bet your boots glow in the dark from the radiation? That Russell and Sons is a big outfit. I went over there one time to look at some stuff they had for sale. I know they have the contract for most of TXU's coal mine stripping and reclamation. I saw two sets of D9H SxS dozers in the bone pile. What happened to the uranium mines down there, is it depleted or is demand way down?

  10. #10pwking132011-03-12 09:58

    The price got so cheap in the 80's that it was no longer feasible to strip mine. Lately the price has gone up but it's cheaper to leach it from the ground than mine it. There is a processing plant that just reopened in Hobson, just outside of Falls City to strip the ore trucked in from the leach fields south of here. I know that Russell&Sons does a lot of work around the Bastrop area. Just talking to them sounds like there real busy right now.

  11. #11engi2011-03-14 17:15

    We had a run of good weather on a highway project, and were putting in 70-80,000 m3 per day, so about 100k cy per day. It was a large combined spread with 657E's and 40 ton Volvo trucks. It's a hellish amount of dirt to get placed, compacted, and tests passed in a day though.

  12. #12Scrub Puller2011-03-18 01:41

    Yair... What sort of dirt, how many/what sort of buggies and how far the haul? I don't reckon anyone could give meaningful comment unless those parameters are known.

  13. #13EGS2011-03-18 22:03

    Yair....I think he was talking in general. I think it is interesting to see what some of the other outfits are capable of.

  14. #14sprknranger2011-06-04 19:32

    Doing removals on a job in Palmdale with 3 651's on a short haul we were averaging about 680 loads a day, and if you rate at 34cy that comes out to a lil over 23000 yards, and that was in an 8hr shift. I've seen spreads get up to 100,000 in a day though. Man those were the days!

  15. #15willd8r2011-06-05 03:36

    A BHP mine in the area I live and work are increasing production to shift 30mil ton of coal a year I believe they move about 8 ton of dirt to 1 ton of coal on average so there is a fair amount dirt to shift in a day Cheers.

  16. #16white-elephant2011-06-17 00:55

    The good old days. Fulton, Mc Coy (with those 666 scrapers), ACI, even C.A. Rasmussen. Don't know if Poss ever had any 100K days. Fulton had weeks of them. Makes a man long for want to tell fish stories and live in the past.

  17. #17Dozerboy2011-06-17 19:08

    I don't know what the most dirt per shift I ever moved was, but I have moved 72,000 tons of coke(like coal) in a shift with 3 D9s.