Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Train Wreck

spitzair ยท 2011-03-05 23:18

Hello guys, There was a train wreck here in Bassano yesterday, came across it while we were flying by in the helicopter. Looks like about 25 or so trailers derailed, some folded up like accordions. I never made it over there again yesterday but I went by there today and took a few pictures, unfortunately my camera's screen didn't survive the -35 degree temperatures we had lately so I couldn't see what I was shooting, that's why the pictures turned out like crap... I'm amazed how quickly they seem to be getting on with repair and salvage operations, they've got 2 excavators with shears cutting up the worst trailers right where they crumpled, the salvageable ones have been recovered and or shoved to the side and the railbed is being replaced. I've also got a video I took while flying over, but until I figure out how to get it off of my fancy new iphone and post it on youtube the pictures will have to do... Enjoy!

Replies7
  1. #1spitzair2011-03-05 23:21

    Some more. Sorry about the poor quality...

  2. #2rare ss2011-04-01 08:20

    we do things abit bigger down here

  3. #3spitzair2011-04-02 00:43

    Wow, that's quite the mess! Hope nobody got hurt!

  4. #4jughead2011-04-02 04:39

    one hasnt lived until one sees it happen. less than 50 yds from my shop. 60 mi. per hr. train, 9 cars tossed around like match sticks. we were lucky no chemicals in the cars. i give them plenty of room when waiting at a crossing now.

  5. #5AllDodge2011-04-02 08:51

    Sure make a mess real quick

  6. #695zIV2011-04-02 09:50

    This might be a bit close for you then? You can fast forward to about 20 seconds or so that's right before the train goes by. http://www.viddler.com/explore/moonsplitter/videos/28/

  7. #7jughead2011-04-02 11:31

    i will pass on that one. lived here 73 years and can remember 4 CLOSE calls all due to my stupidity.