Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Moving a 7000 AC

Old Doug · 2021-03-14 11:44

From what i have found it weighs around 5 ton and i dont think it runs. It needs to be moved 4 miles on a gravel back road. The truck part is no problem but the trailer part is. If i wrecker it what would the front end weigh? Is there anything that needs to be done to make it freewheel?

Replies11
  1. #1Old Doug2021-03-17 08:18

    I have been thinking about towbaring it. I think i would need to chain the wheels strait.

  2. #2crane operator2021-03-17 09:06

    Got someone who can steer it while you pull it? If you went slow, 4 miles isn't very far.

  3. #356wrench2021-03-17 09:55

    i wouldn't pull it too far or too fast. without the engine running and the trans in neutral, the input shaft is not turning. the pilot bearing between the input and mainshaft MAY not get any lube. one possible solution may be to overfill the trans and hope the upper gears get enough lube to provide some splash to the pilot bearing which is usually some type of roller bearing. on those tractors, i'm not sure how that bearing is normally lubricated while the engine is running. this is all speculation

  4. #4Delmer2021-03-17 12:00

    If you have a wrecker, use the wrecker, the front end won't be too heavy. I'd at least take an air tank with blow gun and extension, remove a plug from the gear transmission and stick the extension into the oil to blow oil all over the compartment. You could check the allis forums for how to tow that if you're really worried.

  5. #5Old Doug2021-03-18 07:55

    I dont think it will turn with out it running. i would have to chain the front end strait and tow bar it. I parked my big trailer down in the yard and now it has rained alot. If i get my winch going i would borrow a trailer.There in a big hurry to move it or it would be easy i would have my winch working and my trailer moved.

  6. #6Old Doug2021-03-21 19:50

    I hauled it today on my trailer. I wouldnt have wanted to go far but it worked. Spent some time getting the winch ready and moved the trailer early when it was a little frozen.

  7. #7old-iron-habit2021-03-21 22:21

    On my brothers 70?? AC, if the engine and hydro pump is not running you have no clutch, no brakes, and zero steering. They are all hydraulic driven. A few years ago his buddy rolled it across a major road when he ran it out of fuel as he was approaching the tee a few years ago. He got lucky and never got hit or hit anyone, but had quite a ride down into the ditch with zero control. Not sure what years of manufacture were built like that? That tractor is no longer in his fleet!

  8. #8Old Doug2021-03-22 07:58

    I bet alot of tractors are like that. This one has a hydrolic cylinder on the axle to steer it. It wouldnt steer and was almost impossable to turn the wheels even with the lines unhooked. I hope to get it started and sale it maybe to a tractor salvage yard.

  9. #956wrench2021-03-22 09:11

    usually on full hydraulic steering systems on tractors there is a small gerotor section in the orbitrol which will allow a small amount of extremely hard manual steering, but only if the tractor is moving. maybe more so if the oil is cold than warm. it feels like you may twist the steering wheel off-it is that hard

  10. #10Old Doug2021-03-22 21:07

    I have saw stuff that you could steer if you turned it several times but this thing wouldnt do any thing. You would think they would make some safety deal were you could stop it.

  11. #11old-iron-habit2021-03-22 22:14

    On the one my brother had everything was run by a small hydraulic pump down in the transmission somewhere. It went out twice while he owned it before he dumped it. There was no steering, clutch, or brakes of any sort when the pump sheared the shaft. The second time it happened, he was plowing and I pulled him out and loaded it with my log skidder. It had a emergency brake that could not stop a bicycle if moving. I guess after three times counting the time it was run out of fuel he had enough.