Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Moving a shop truck across the country?

-3Doc ยท 2010-02-19 20:01

Has anyone got any suggestions for moving a Ford F550 shop truck from Florida to Bellingham or Vancouver at a reasonable price!

Replies10
  1. #1heavytorching2010-02-19 20:34

    try uship.com that will give you some $figures to work with,they have a site where truckers or brokers pick up loads from areas they are going/coming from. so people can have a load both ways. good luck

  2. #2thirdcoaster2010-02-19 21:13

    I've used Uship and it works, but be careful, there are some fly-by-nighters bidding. The first time I used uship was to have a truck I bought shipped. The trucker had a breakdown just prior to picking my truck up (causing a delay), and then didn't have money for fuel to get the truck to me. I don't prepay for shipping, so the trucker had to pick up a couple of prepaid loads to have fuel to make my delivery(causing further delay). By the time I got my truck, it was about three weeks overdue! Your mileage may vary .

  3. #3Arabhacks2010-02-19 21:37

    Ship? Hello. You could always drive the thing. Depending on the condition, etc, the may be your best option.

  4. #4Turbo218352010-02-20 08:03

    Possible, but you have to fly someone across the country at least once. If you dont leave your home state with the truck, it makes no financial sense to put approtioned plates on the truck. So that means you will need a trip permit for each state you take it thru, pretty pricey. Not to mention, you will need to get a 3 day fuel permit for every state you are going to need fuel. Not to mention any scales you have to go thru. Also being interstate travel, and a 550 is a rated commercial truck, you have to follow hour of service rules. You will need to shut down after 11 hours every day. All combined are going to make a long expensive trip.

  5. #5joispoi2010-02-20 09:58

    U ship or try a dozen different shipping brokers. I'm not sure what you call reasonable, but I'm guessing most quotes are going to be unreasonable. If you can take advantage of port to port ocean freight, it will be slow, but probably the cheapest. I can't remember the name of the company, but I remember seeing a bunch of ads for a freight by train company last year. It's worth looking into.

  6. #6-3Doc2010-02-20 10:23

    Freight by rail would likely be a good idea!

  7. #7heavylift2010-02-20 10:28

    if it like the 550 truck I drove.... they get NO miles per gallon... maybe even a hot shot carrier.... they zip in with a load then usually run back empty flat beds running in here always hate it here.. because there are no flat loads leaving the area.... rail is an option.... it must have been cheaper than trucks.. I worked for a company that had all the pipe for a job sent by rail... it was a real pain on this end... because we had to store it... instead of stringing it on the job..... about 100 rail car loads

  8. #8Speedpup2010-02-20 10:48

    get an good equipment broker. By the time you figure plane ticket, time, fuel, wear and tear I doubt driving makes sense. I have a broker and he gives you market rate then when you are ready they will try and do better. Truck would be 1/2 load.

  9. #9Arabhacks2010-02-20 12:07

    2800 Lbs or under, over, whatever. Hello. NO, you do NOT need to buy fuel permits, if this vehicle is "In Transit", it is NOT in commercial service as a CMV. The only hard part is the entry into Canada, as I would need the bond as well as limited title, and of course, registration and insurance. Once my Census gig is over, in 3 weeks, I will do it for $600 + all expenses, just for the trip if for no other reason. My SENTRI and FAST are current, so I can enter and exit US/Canada at will with a CMV. This is as cheap as it gets.

  10. #10liebherr11602010-02-24 10:11

    Not to mention a letter from Transport Canada and a letter from The US regulator .. that the vehicle is compliant on both sides of the border before plates are issued .. And also the axle loading's have to be adjusted to meet the highway act here in Canada .. You get a period of time to do this ..but it will have to be done ..Had to do it with a 01 Sterling that was built for service in the US ..but was being permanatly used for service in Canada.. I think free trade has a middle ground to units the move regularly over the border back and forth