Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

trivia question, diesel’s with spark plugs

stumpjumper83 ยท 2008-06-04 13:58

What piece(s) of heavy equipment came from the factory with spark plugs, carborators, and injectors, and injection pumps? I know of four.

Replies9
  1. #1DPete2008-06-04 14:20

    Everthing Cat made with pony motors which was everything til the 60's, and some IH's that started on gas the ran on diesel

  2. #2stumpjumper832008-06-04 14:48

    I wasn't thinking of the pony motors that ran on gas that started the diesel, but rather the ih's that has two complete fuel systems. md's, td6,td9, farmall 600. Those were the ones I was thinking of.

  3. #3DPete2008-06-04 15:09

    Ya, I figured that's what you meant but I could'nt pass up a chance to be a smart azz.

  4. #4OneWelder2008-06-04 17:32

    International disignated UD or TD Changed to stright diesel in early sixtys

  5. #5OneWelder2008-06-04 17:39

    International started on gas, then switched to diesel, I believe these were built in the thirtys and designated UD or TD - Changed to stright diesel in early sixtys

  6. #6dieseldave2008-06-04 18:04

    Some old Allis Chalmers dozers- the SO, KO, and LO- were equipped with Hesselman system engines that injected fuel like a diesel but relied on spark for ignition. A link to a brief overview of the IH and Hesselman engines http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Fields/3614/diesel.html

  7. #7bentwrench2008-06-04 20:07

    I have an old gas tank that came off of a Case farm tractor. An 'Ol Timer that I grew up around was a Case tractor dealer years ago. He always called it a dies-oline tank, probably holds acouple gallons. It sure has made a good test tank for running gas engines on farm tractors, motorcyles, & ATV's when tore down.

  8. #8OneWelder2008-06-04 20:57

    A lot of Manufactures offered tractors with which could burn distillate fuel, which was high grade kerosene. These were gas engines, but had things like sheet metal around intake to warm it as well as an extra small gas tank for starting

  9. #9stumpjumper832008-06-04 20:58

    Its always worked well for me as betting material on know it all wrench heads.