Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Mustang mtl20 glow plugs

m1008 ยท 2019-03-27 21:37

Doing some work on my mustang mtl20 getting it ready for spring for a few jobs I have lined up, changed fluids and filters, plus changed a sprocket and flipped the track. Last thing on my list is getting the glow plugs working, I have no power going to them, checked all fuses and followed wires from glow plugs as far as I could, where is the glow plug relay located on this machine? That's the next thing I plan on checking, I'm thinking somewhere in the rear, I have a service manual but I'm still unsure where it's at or what else to check, any help would be appreciated!!!

Replies10
  1. #1Kxnate2019-03-27 22:28

    Wow, you squeezed every penny outta those sprockets!!!

  2. #2m10082019-03-27 22:36

    Lol I bought it that way, I would of changed it a LONG time ago. I think this machine had a hard life but it runs and drives great so I'm hoping I can get some use out of it

  3. #3skata2019-03-28 02:31

    is the mtl20 the tl140 sized machine? isuzu engine?

  4. #4Vetech632019-03-28 06:45

    Hell, those sprockets have another 500 hours on them. LOL

  5. #5m10082019-03-28 06:48

    Yes it's the same machine as the tl140

  6. #6skata2019-03-28 13:11

    ok. i've got the same machine and was wondering if this isuzu has glow plugs. and how do you test them to make sure they are working?

  7. #7m10082019-03-28 19:59

    you can hook a test light to the positive on the batter and touch the spot on glow plug where the wire hooks if it doesn't light up it's bad

  8. #8skata2019-03-29 00:33

    ok thanks. when real cold out, the machine dont start as easy as it used to.

  9. #9DIYDAVE2019-03-29 20:15

    Or you can test the resistance on each plug, with an ohm meter... Also, check the GP fuse, and read the owners manual, some GP's operate for just a few seconds, while some may operate for a minute or 2...

  10. #10tool_king2019-03-30 06:08

    You can all take the glow plugs out .Connect the positive to a battery with a jumper .That use another jumper and ground it the body plug should start to glow a bit .But do not leave it on there or you burn stuff up.