Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

my 160c excavator is skipping and now is making a knocking noise!!#help!!!!

s&sexcavating92 ยท 2014-03-02 04:54

My 160c lc excavator is skipping and just recently started knocking but it hasn't lost power.I think it's a fuel knock.uk replaced one injector but the rest won't come it's like there stuck.is that the problem?I need help!!!!

Replies11
  1. #1s&sexcavating922014-03-02 04:57

    I think a long time ago I Lassen a line to them and it clears up?getting too much fuel?

  2. #2d9gdon2014-03-02 07:19

    Sounds like the one(s) you loosened the line to is dribbling fuel instead of spraying it. It will burn the piston eventually. If it's a JD 160C, it has the 4045 engine with pencil type injectors. I don't have the puller for them so I use a pair of Vise Grips on the part of the stem that the injector retainer clamps down and then pull and twist at the same time. They get carbon on them and are hard to get out. Once I get them loose and twisting, I gently pry up on them and keep pulling and twisting. Forgot to mention to use penetrating oil on them too.

  3. #3s&sexcavating922014-03-02 08:02

    Okay I'll do that.so more and likely I.have a burnt piston since it's knocking? How much will it.cost/or take to fix that? In other words what do I need to do to fix my issue beside injectors?

  4. #4Delmer2014-03-02 11:05

    The injectors are cheap and they're not THAT hard to get out, do that first and see how it goes. The knocking is the fuel like you say, there MIGHT not be anything else damaged. Do whatever you have to do to get those injectors loose, take the turbo(?) off if it's in the way, wiggle, wiggle, wiggle... You don't need to replace them all if you can loosen the lines to find which one is knocking if that one is easier to get out.

  5. #5d9gdon2014-03-02 11:26

    I didn't mean that the piston was burned already, if you leave it with a leaking injector it will eventually wash the cylinder down and scuff the piston but usually on that JD engine it will burn the top edge of the piston off down to the top ring land. That would take a few hundred or even thousand hours to happen in my estimation. Like Delmer said, just change the injector after you isolate the leaker. I just pulled six of them two days ago (on a 6068 which is same as 4045 but in a 6 cyl. version) and it took me about an hour and a half to get them out. I had the head off already. I pulled 4 of them in 30 minutes and the last two took an hour. I'm just a rookie at it though. I think they're around $130 ea. from JD for reman units.

  6. #6s&sexcavating922014-03-02 16:01

    I pulled all the injectors is there a homeade way to test them without them in the motor? Or just any way with them out

  7. #7Delmer2014-03-02 16:25

    You could put them back on the lines and crank, or take them to a shop to have them tested, or make your own pop off tester. But they're cheap, just replace them all. I bought new stanadyne injectors from these guys for $70 each, they were made in China, but probably the same ones you'd get from Deere. You can get really cheap aftermarket ones, but when do you want to do this again? http://oregonfuelinjection.com/inde...UMPS,JOHN_DEERE__Stanadyne,Bosch,Lucas,Delphi

  8. #8sansexcavating2014-03-19 22:43

    so i have a burnt piston whats the usual price to replace it?

  9. #9cutting edge2014-03-20 00:55

    how do you know you have a bad piston? Let's go back to your original post. define "skipping and knocking". is this at idle? do you mean it sounds like its running rough?

  10. #10s&sexcavating922014-03-20 07:58

    My injectors were bad and burnt a piston.I took the head off and looked and saw the piston.do you know about how much they are to replace?

  11. #11cutting edge2014-03-20 10:05

    tough to say. the engine has to come out,so you'll have to check for other wear and tear at that point.