Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

My 247b

cat943 · 2010-11-14 05:34

Hi all well after 17 years of operating other people’s equipment I finally have one of my own a cat 247b mtl. The machine is 6 years old and has 2300 hours on it ,the only problems that it has is one of the quick hydraulic couplers on the 4in1 bucket is leaking and the last owner or operator didn’t spend to much time with a grease gun on some of the pins and bushers but all in all its not to bad I did mange to give it a shake down for a hour or so cleaning up the backyard for a shed…

Replies9
  1. #1grandpa2010-11-14 06:13

    Congratulations 943 on being your own boss, as far as the linkage I own a 267B and is grease at proper cycles, has about the same hours as yours and is surprisingly loose to, so maybe it just the nature of the beast....anyways goodluck.. gramps

  2. #2heavylift2010-11-14 09:03

    I put about 3000 hours on a 247... great little machine... fast and lots of power... they do have a weak boom... 3 replaced under warranty... it twisted... Company what are you doing do the machine.. Cat said it's the booms .. bucket pins are not very well protected from debris... some days they need greased two or three a day.. the 247 is a thirsty beast as it will run dry after 8 hours of hard running... but being your own boss, maybe the fuel tank will stay on the job site...Maybe the B model is better on fuel . If you decide to get a regular bucket .. get one 6" ..3" each side...wider than the machine... it keeps the dirt farther from the tracks.. plus you can get next to what ever without rubbing the tracks.. and teeth on the bucket make it cut like 10 times better... Enclosed cab is way better.. even though it wasn't a/c'd... it was nicer than the dust storm the tracks create... I didn't like the rentals they would bring when the machine was in the shop... just open cabs 1900hr on first set of tracks.. 1100 second too many operators 7 grandsih each time a dozen individual boggie wheels replace the rollers pins in the drive spockets 4 times.. 2 times with the track replace... 2 because of wear 3 booms probably 3 set of bucket pins 4 cutting edges not the bolt on ones.. plus the wear strips on the bottom a couple of times. 100+ teeth I think they have 8... one set last one night... SI SI.. wore them to the cutting edge during snow removal... shaking head smiley I'm pretty sure that little thing made them a ton of cash...

  3. #3Wanabe2010-11-18 00:37

    Nice looking machine,I'm looking at one just like it...has 1400 hrs...it'll be my first skid hope the deal goes through

  4. #4cartzblown94z2010-11-18 12:35

    love those 247's maybe one day ill own one too great machine although i want another RC-30 before it

  5. #5AKRentalMan2010-11-23 14:01

    Congrats on the purchase! If you put ski goggle cloth bags on the loose ends of your hydraulic attachments when not in use those quick connects will last a lot longer, spendy little guys.

  6. #6j dirt2010-12-01 21:23

    You might have a bad o ring.

  7. #7cat9432010-12-31 05:54

    Hi all when operating my track loader today I notice that when I change from the bucket to the auger the auger would turn for a few turns then it would stop and the auxiliary control switch would not function. when I hit the park brake switch the auxiliary control switch would function again and when I hit the parking brake switch again it all went back to normal. When I changed back to the bucket the same thing happed again ? Anybody have any idea of the problem ?

  8. #8maxamillion672011-01-04 12:21

    Check the switch for the aux. hydraulics. I have a 2002 242 Cat Skid Steer, and my axu, hydraulic would not work. Jumped out the wires on the switch and could get it to work. Cat wanted $300.00 for the switch with the handle, but for $20.00 I bought a doulbe pole double throw, three way switch with the off position in the middle. Wired it in and it works great. Had to do a little modificatiion to the handle to get it to fit. If you PM me with your email address I can send you a schematic that I have. Good luck with it.

  9. #9cat9432011-10-23 05:13

    Hi all well its been some time since I have did a update on my cat 247b well have spent some time operating the machine its I can give a account of the good things and some of the pet hates I have with the machine. Ok the bad one thing I can’t stand is that track adjuster who ever thought that up needs to be shot and when I do have to remove the tracks the adjuster bolts will be removed and replaced with grease adjusters that should fix that. On a note about the tracks so far they have held up well, I have run them in dirt across concrete on crushed rock over wood sleepers in mud and grass. They don’t fall apart at the drop of a hat I would still say out of all the mtl’s the 247 would be the pic of the pack for the track system that that cat used on the mtl’s. On the maintenance side of things I have replaced both the hydraulic quick couplers on both the machine and the bucket that stoped the leak, one wheel bearing on one of the bogie wheels collapsed and was replaced overall not much has really been done to it. I have started a program by when I am going past cat I pick up some track parts now and again so in time I will have enough parts to give the tracks a complete overhaul but with out the major price tag. Ok things I like about it for one its fast and it ride so nice and its more fun than the big equipment that I used to drive it will dig but when its too hard then yer its time to get the excavator out but for most things it will do what is asked of it.. Today I got around to making a bracket and stick for the fitting of a laser system I have decided to mount the stick on the machine so I can change from bucket to a dozer blade n not have to re set the laser.. Ok here are some pic’s