Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

My 580 B is ready to paint–photos

shellman14315 ยท 2008-11-03 17:45

Well, its taken a while to get to this point, but she is ready for a new shine. Ive been sanding, washing, and scraping for the better part of two weeks. She aint perfect, but should look a lot better soon. Ive got new decals and all. So far $4500 for the unit and about $500 in paint, decals, seat, and repairs. I rebuilt the right side steering cylinder ($13 seal kit) all by myself, much to my amazement!! Fixed a hydraulic leak on the right side (only needed to tighten a hose clamp). The only thing I couldn't fix is a power steering leak under the steering wheel. A small leak that occasionally caused fluid to run down the steering column to the floor. I tried getting the steering wheel off with a puller, but was only going to break the steering wheel before she came off. Im just gonna leave it as is and wrap a cloth around it like a scarf. It has worked well the past year and doesn't cost $900 like a new hand pump. A small inconvienence to avoid a costly repair. Not sure if they have a rebuild kit or not. Not sure I could do it anyways. Anybody know the trick to getting the backhoe in the locked position. The guy who sold it to me said there was a trick, but obviously I didnt pay attention. Something about going forward then back real quick. Can't quite seem to get it. Any help? The federal yellow(that everyone said is the original color) is much brighter than the existing faded yellow--(see photo where i used a little from the spray paint cans i have), but should turn out fine. I will post the finished result pictures in the next two weeks. Im running out of warm weather in N. Calif and gotta hurry. Later Cory:usa:usa

Replies8
  1. #1Allen662008-11-03 22:07

    To lock the hoe in the transport position. the first thing you need to do is make sure the machine is setting on the outriggers. Rev it up little, pull the boom up till it is at the end of it's travel and before it has a chance lose it's momentum you have to push the lever forward. The boom will actually go over center so to speak and continue upward till it locks. It might scare you the first couple times till you get the hang of it. Slams up pretty hard till you get used to it.

  2. #2greywynd2008-11-03 22:10

    Can't tell for sure from your pics, but a trick I saw long ago is to grease the outside of the cylinders where you don't want paint, it will wipe off after you're done. Any time I've tried taping them, if there's any oil residue, it won't stick, and if the tape leaves a residue, it can be a pain to remove.

  3. #3coopers2008-11-04 01:59

    Oh please show finished product pictures!

  4. #4shellman143152008-11-04 13:16

    Thanks for the info Allen 66, that sounds similar to what the guy told me.....it was something about bringing it up then quickly pushing the opposite way.....also I haven't had the outriggers all the way out so that could be part of the problem.....thanks grey for the painting tip.....should be painting by Thursday if all goes well

  5. #5taggert2008-11-04 19:35

    Looks good. (Post #1) taggert

  6. #6bachman442009-05-10 19:42

    Looks Great. Can you believe how many hours you put into it so far?

  7. #7Phil2009-05-10 21:14

    Man you've really got it clean. I use newspaper and roll it around the cylinder rod. Use masking tape around the outside of the newspaper at each end. If there is a little oil it won't matter, and the paper will roll up with minimal damage to the paint when you retract a cylinder rod to get the spots you missed. If using a spray gun the machine can be painted in sections, such as hoe one day, wheels, belly and bucket the next, then the important tractor section at last. I still like the new Cat yellow, from Caterpillar, mixed 16:1 with bright orange, that's what I give my painter and it's cheap. Phil

  8. #8mrmomo2009-05-12 22:18

    Nice!