Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Ooops…just blew up my pump!

torker ยท 2008-11-03 20:35

Literally... the front mount pump on my 1969 MF40 hoe. I've been having some weird relief valve issues with it. The curl cylinders on the bucket...when they are almost in the fully closed position they just slam shut and something is going into overload. None of the other cylinders do this...only the two curl ones. There is only one relief valve for the loader end. It controls all the cylinders. It blew the hose off a couple weeks ago..I lowered the relief as much as I could and still have everything else work. Tonight it blew the center section out of the pump...it's an old style gear pump built in three sections. The pressure blew a big crack in the alu center section. Are these replacable or do I have to buy a whole new pump? I'm actually going to tear it apart tomorrow and see if I can weld it/machine it back to shape but we'll save that for the last resort Dang.. I've only got a few more part days of work left before the snow flies then I'm going to give the ol' girl a complete teardown and rebuild. I wish I could just squeak this thru.. Thanks! Russ

Replies0

No replies yet.